Soul Vs. Spirit

My roomate asked me what is the difference between my soul and my spirit? What do you say? Is it just word usage or are they two distinct things?

From the Glossary of the Catechism:

SOUL: The spiritual principle of human beings. The soul is the subject of human consciousness and freedom; soul and body together form one unique human nature. Each human soul is individual and immortal, immediately created by God. The soul does not die with the body, from which it is separated by death, and with which it will be reunited in the final resurrection (363, 366; cf. 1703).

The soul, then is what makes us conscious, rational beings. The spirit, on the other hand, is the animating principle in the body which makes us an animate being. When we die, our spirit ceases to animate our body. All forms of life --plant and animal – have spirts, but man has the only spirit that is also a soul.

As far as “my soul” and “my spirit,” they are the same thing, because the human soul is a spirit.

A soul is the life principle of a living being. Animals do not have souls which are spiritual in nature, but humans do.

Got my question answered by an apologist. If you are interested go here: forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=84437

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.