Souls Of The Unborn

Babies who are aborted or were miscarried, do they have souls? And more specifically do their souls go directly to heaven? I've always wondered what happened to them....

The Catholic Church teaches us in the Catechism;

“**The Church teaches that every spiritual soul is created immediately by God **- it is not “produced” by the parents - and also that it is immortal: it does not perish when it separates from the body at death, and it will be reunited with the body at the final Resurrection.235” (CCC 366).

While we do not know the fate of any soul, only God does, we know that God loves us & we rely solely on His Mercy!

Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, Ora Pro Nobis Peccatoribus!

mark

Yes and Yes!

The Church teaches that God creates a soul when the egg in the mother is fertilized by the sperm of the father.

The Church used to teach that unbaptized babies go to “Limbo”, a heaven-like existence where they await the Final Judgement. This is no longer taught; instead the belief is now that unborn children do go straight to heaven, under the presumption of a Baptism of Desire.

I don’t think this is *quite *accurate.

I personally believe you are correct and I believe many theologians do also. But the Church doesn’t officially say such babies go straight to heaven. (Limbo was never a required belief either, even though it was usually presented to Catholics as if it was. And Catholics are still free to believe in Limbo.)

The official teaching from the CCC is that we entrust the salvation of such children to the mercy of God. (See section 1260).

Unborn babies have souls.

As a PP said, the Catholic Church does not officially teach that the souls of the unbaptized go straight to Heaven but we have a merciful God and I believe all three of my babies that I have lost through miscarriages are waiting for me in Heaven.

I too believe in a merciful God and hope to see my unborn child in heaven some day. May 13th (Feast of Our Lady of Fatima) is my child’s anniversary of being “born in to heaven.”

As I understand it (and as explained to me by a priest) Baptism of Desire if only for the individual to aquire…we cannot desire it for someone else. ( Oh how I wish we could!! ) The individaul who dies must have the desire to be baptised at the time of death.

I think I would presume Baptism of Desire for unborn and newly born children. The alternative, for aborted children, would be Baptrism of Blood, since they have died, so to speak, in a persecution of the Church.

My presumption (yes, it is NOT Catholic doctrine) for Baptism of Desire is the same as for those who are permitted entry to Heaven, even though they did not know, or were not taught about Jesus during their life on earth.

Eternal rest grant unto them, O Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon them. May their souls and all the souls of the faithful departed rest in peace. Amen.

Thank you for the answers!

So, when they do get into heaven (assuming they do), do they remain the souls of babies or do they somehow “grow up”?

To the best of my knowledge the Church has no teaching on this matter.

I remember hearing that some saint ( it was probably St. Augustine or St. Thomas Aquinas) suggested that after the final resurrection we would all have the bodies of 33-year-olds. He thought 33 was the perfect age since that’s about how old Jesus would have been when he rose from the dead and ascended into heaven. But that was just conjecture.

We do not truly know what happens to the souls of the unborn who die.Or those that are born who die unbaptized. The church has approved belief one or more theories. We are permitted to have the hope that they will be in heaven. We trust in our loving and merciful God. We must still endeavor to baptize our children as soon as possible after birth.

vatican.va/roman_curia/congregations/cfaith/cti_documents/rc_con_cfaith_doc_20070419_un-baptised-infants_en.html

I like 33. At least my knees worked well at that age.

All we know is that, if we get to heaven, that we will have glorified bodies, changed greatly. If we were the same as when we died, old people who died would still have the infirmaties of their age, arthritis etc. Disabled people would still lack their legs, or be crippled, or whatever made them disabled. If we needed eyeglasses,we would still need eyeglasses. Retarded people would still be retarded. Babies would still be babies.
The church has always maintained the the unborn have human souls, which is why the Didache, from the year 90, taught that abortion is an unspeakable crime.
If you wonder where unbaptized babies go, you are not alone. Catholics have wondered about this for centuries. The Church has never come up with a definite answer. My wife had three miscarriages, and I have always thought that they are in heaven, waiting for me to come. I hope that I am right.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.