"...sound devotion to our Lady, is... to establish devotion to our Lord more perfectly

Dear Brothers and Sisters,

Let us open wide our hearts, to receive God’s Grace, and hear these words deeply:

1. If then we are establishing sound devotion to our Blessed Lady, it is only in order to establish devotion to our Lord more perfectly, by providing a smooth but certain way of reaching Jesus Christ. If devotion to our Lady distracted us from our Lord, we would have to reject it as an illusion of the devil. But this is far from being the case. As I have already shown and will show again later on, this devotion is necessary, simply and solely because it is a way of reaching Jesus perfectly, loving him tenderly, and serving him faithfully.

2. Here I turn to You for a moment, dear Jesus, to complain lovingly to Your divine Majesty that the majority of Christians, and even some of the most learned among them, do not recognize the necessary bond that unites You and Your Blessed Mother. Lord, You are always with Mary and Mary is always with You. She can never be without You because then she would cease to be what she is. She is so completely transformed into You by grace that she no longer lives, she no longer exists, because You alone, dear Jesus, live and reign in her more perfectly than in all the angels and saints. If we only knew the glory and the love given to You by this wonderful creature, our feelings for You and for her would be far different from those we have now. So intimately is she united to You that it would be easier to separate light from the sun, and heat from the fire. I go further, it would even be easier to separate all the angels and saints from You than Mary; for she loves You ardently, and glorifies You more perfectly than all Your other creatures put together.

Come Holy Spirit, open the ears of our hearts to hear the Truth You have given St. Louis de Montfort, in writing his treatise on "True Devotion to the Blessed Virgin"

3 Likes

In the movie “the Passion of the Christ”, Mary calls Jesus the “Heart of [her] heart”.

St. John Eudes teaches the same thing, saying that Mary’s Heart is “the Heaven of Heaven”, because Jesus lives uniquely in Mary’s Heart. He writes:

Do you forget that not only does Jesus reside and dwell perpetually in Mary’s Heart, but that He is in truth the heart of her Heart and the soul of her soul; and that therefore coming to the Heart of Mary means to honor Jesus and to invoke her Heart is to invoke Jesus?

2 Likes

Dear patricius,

Thanks so much for your “heart” to let us know how much you surely agree with the saints in their praise of Mary – not only St. John Eudes whose beautiful words you quoted in your reply, and St. Louis de Montfort whose words we are pondering today, but all the saints and angels in heaven praise her for the great Love God gave her as Mother of Christ and our Mother.

By God’s Grace, may He continue to increase in us our supernatural Faith, Hope and above all Charity, transforming us to be more and more united to Him as Mary and the saints are united with Him. One day, may we say with St. Paul and all the saints, “I live now, not I but Christ lives in me” (cf Gal 2: 19-20).

Jesus, Meek and Humble of Heart, make my heart like Yours. Immaculate Heart of Mary, our Mother and Model, pray for all of us, your children, brothers and sisters of Jesus, your Son.

This is so beautiful!

Oh how great is our Mother! She is limitless in love, tenderness, and kindness toward me-- and toward each of us, as if each of us were her only child besides Jesus Christ.

How perfectly this Scripture applies to our Mother of God!

1 Like

I doubt one could be truly learned in the Faith without Marie.

2 Likes

Amen, Bon Croix. That is what Pope Saint Pius X told us in the Encyclical Ad Diem Illum:

1. And that through the Virgin, and through her more than through any other means, we have offered us a way of reaching the knowledge of Jesus Christ, cannot be doubted when it is remembered that with her alone of all others Jesus was for thirty years united, as a son is usually united with a mother, in the closest ties of intimacy and domestic life. Who could better than His Mother have an open knowledge of the admirable mysteries of the birth and childhood of Christ, and above all of the mystery of the Incarnation, which is the beginning and the foundation of faith? Mary not only preserved and meditated on the events of Bethlehem and the facts which took place in Jerusalem in the Temple of the Lord, but sharing as she did the thoughts and the secret wishes of Christ she may be said to have lived the very life of her Son. Hence nobody ever knew Christ so profoundly as she did, and nobody can ever be more competent as a guide and teacher of the knowledge of Christ.

Dear patricius,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, Scripture speaks always God’s Truth to us. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Dear Ben_Croix,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, we need our Mother, as Jesus told us from His Cross:

“Behold your Mother”

Mary (or Marie in French) is as St. Louis has known in his life by God’s Grace is so necessary for us – She is both Mother and Model for the Church. As Abraham is “the father of Faith” so Mary is given to us as “Mother of our Faith”.

When we behold Mary (Marie) in Scripture we can “see” by the supernatural Faith infused into our souls at Baptism how our Mother and Model lived the Faith God gave to her.

1 Like

Yes, amen. And we can understand Scripture so much better in light of the Church’s Teaching and Tradition about our Mother of God!

I had a false belief as a Protestant that Catholics worship idols and Mary. But this isn’t true. St. Monfort tells us so clearly. Mary leads us to Christ and that’s so beautiful.

Ave Maria

2 Likes

Dear pulchraesamicamea,

Thanks so much for your reply. It is a wonderful grace you’ve been given to see how true it is that Mary leads us to Christ! It is God’s Plan made so clear for us, in Genesis – but some who read the Bible somehow seem to “miss” the truth God spoke in Gen 3: 15 - 16. Yes, I agree that it is so Beautiful (as is your username, by the way) – God does all things well – He gave us Jesus through Mary and He continues that plan until Jesus comes again in Glory! :slight_smile:

Dear MagdalenaRita,

Thanks for your heart and for appreciating St. Louis de Montfort’s words. :slight_smile: May we all continue to ponder as Mary our Mother did, in her heart, all that Jesus said and did. By His Grace, may we come to know and love and serve Him more, as she did on this earth.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.