Source for True Church/Christian History?

My wife (non-denom evangelical) and I (on the journey to conversion) have had debates in the past about Church & Christian history. About the Catholic Church being the Church Christ founded and so on. No matter how I put it she will not get that the Catholic Church was the original church. She will say that no one was Catholic back then, they were just Christian. I simply put it this way - No one was called “Catholic” because there was no need to be. It was refered to as “Catholic” but in the universal term. That same church as it progressed through history is todays Catholic Church. You will find no “man” at the root of it’s begining. - She does’nt buy it. She does’nt believe that the Church can trace it’s history back to the Apostles or that Her beliefs can to. It’s hard to prove anything to her that is’nt in the Bible.

Question - Are there any books/references that prove Church/Christian history? Maybe that show how Christianity was in it’s early stages [ie…the Eucharist,praying to Saints,Mary…]. Any from a Protestant source would be great. I have seen one such book [a newer publication] co-authored by a Catholic & a Protestant theologian. I can’t remember the name though.

Christ be in us in 08!
Jamie

JPatton,
I’ve been reading your threads and I’ll see what I can come up with for you, but I’m about to go to work. In the meantime, try this history of the doctrine of the Real Presence that I posted on another thread. It’s pretty close to what you’re looking for:

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=198602
Read posts 6-14.

Hello All,

There are a lot of good primary and secondary sources which can help:

Primary:
Early Christian Writings Ed. Andrew Louth
Early Christian Fathers Ed. Cyril Richardson
Early Latin Theology Ed. S.L. Greensdale
Christians as the Romans Saw Them by Robert Louis Wilken
Creeds, Councils, and Controversies Ed. J. Stevenson

Secondary:
Early Church History by Henry Chadwick
Triumph by H.W. Crocker
Where We Got the Bible by Henry Graham
How the Catholic Church Built Western Civilization by Thomas Woods
How the Reformation Happened by Hilaire Belloc

You could also look into these sources too:
A Biblical Defense of Catholicism by Dave Armstrong
More Biblical Evidence for Catholicism by Dave Armstrong and Scott Hahn
Pope Fiction by Patrick Madrid
Catholicism and Fundamentalism by Karl Keating
Crusades: The Illustrated History Ed. Thomas Madden
Inquisition by Edward Peters
The Myth of Hitler’s Pope by Rabbi David Dalin

All these books can be of great help in conversations with a Protestant on Catholic History. Enjoy! :slight_smile:

I’ve got to agree on Dave Armstrong’s “A Biblical Defense of Catholicism.” He’s a former Evangelical pastor, so he really knows how to talk to Protestants. That book had a lot to do with my current knee-deep-in-the-Tiber status…

Ignatius of Antioch, born in A.D. 50, taught by the Apostle John, ordained bishop by the Apostle Peter and the first martyr to be fed to the wild beasts in the Coliseum for the faith wrote: “Wherever Jesus Christ is, there is the Catholic Church.” Of course terms generally don’t get committed to written form until well after they are firmly established in common usage so in this way we know the Catholic Church was spoken of well before the end of the first century.

Apocalypsis
That is my blog and I have several articles there that may help you with all that. Take a look.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.