Source of the requirement to obey Church moral laws

What is the correct statement of the doctrine that we are required to assent to the moral teachings of the Church? What are some documents (with refs) that this doctrine is found in?

Is all the Church’ teaching on morals infallible? If so, in what documents (with refs) is this stated?

If the Church is not infallible when it proclaims a particular moral law, what basis does the Church have for teaching it i.e. how can the Church say that “x is wrong” if it is not certain that x is wrong.

The Church is infallible in matters pertaining to faith and morals.

I would say the CCC, Paragraphs 890-892 makes it clear, but there may be an even better/clearer reference than that.

[quote=Steve1001]What is the correct statement of the doctrine that we are required to assent to the moral teachings of the Church? What are some documents (with refs) that this doctrine is found in?

Is all the Church’ teaching on morals infallible? If so, in what documents (with refs) is this stated?

If the Church is not infallible when it proclaims a particular moral law, what basis does the Church have for teaching it i.e. how can the Church say that “x is wrong” if it is not certain that x is wrong.
[/quote]

The deposit of faith and morals is unchanging. The catechism would be a good place to look for the Church’s teaching on moral issues. When the Magesterium says something is wrong, it is.

I was taught many years ago that many moral issues are based on various virtues. For example the virtue of Modesty. In 1900 certain swim suits were considered modest. By 1940 certain one piece suits were considered modest, and today some two piece suits would be considered modest. The principle that one be modest does not change, but how that virtue is lived out in practice does. I was also taught it is best not to be a leader of the change. Thongs? Ugh!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.