Source: Quotes from Martin Luther

Does anyone know of an “online” source, where I can show his many quotes regarding the scriptures, and what he said about many of the books he despised. I’m looking to back-up those quotes to an anti-Catholic. I want to give him, preferably an “non-bias” source.

Thank you!

Anything / topic in particular?

Jon

Yes, there are many quotes of his in describing why he rejected several book, and wanting to reject others. For example, James, " the epistle of straw. Revelation, too, etc. & along with the “Apocrapha.”

The best source I have is an apologetics site, which discusses this issue. while doing so, they have quotes from Luther: It also has an exstensive endnotes section.
While it may or may not be the case with your friend or with this topic, I find it often true that anti-catholics and usually not very friendly to Lutherans either, for whatever its worth.

ntrmin.org/Luther%20and%20the%20canon%202.htm

Jon

There is a wealth of information in the Luther article in the encyclopedia at www.newadvent.org

I think Jaguar was looking for non-bias sources, by which I think he meant non-catholic. However, Newadvent may have some additonal quotes to be pulled.
You can also check with www.lcms.org, www.elca.org. Or you can look for Luther’s Works

Jon

Take heed of what JonNC has said. My experience (especialy growing up as a Lutheran, but educateded at a very Evangelical non-denominational school) is that they hail Luther as a hero when it comes to his initial rebellion, but if you mention anything he did that denied their views, (including the real pressense) they are quick to say he was mearly a transitionary step to real “Bible” Christianity.

Here are Luther’s own words from a Protestant site. It rather clearly shows that he rejects James primarily because James plainly refutes Luther’s new doctrine of Sola Fide.

Interestingly, the commentary shows the rather ambivalent feelings of many evangelicals toward the Bible; the commentator remarks on the fact that it was not the center of Christian belief before the Reformation, but also shows a rather nervous feeling about many books which have passages that don’t go well with Protestant ideas.

bible-researcher.com/antilegomena.html

You might also mention Luther’s intense devotion to Mary:

It is a sweet and pious belief that the infusion of Mary’s soul was effected without original sin; so that in the very infusion of her soul she was also purified from original sin and adorned with God’s gifts, receiving a pure soul infused by God; thus from the first moment she began to live she was free from all sin" (Sermon: “On the Day of the Conception of the Mother of God,” 1527).

More here…

davidmacd.com/catholic/martin_luther_on_mary.htm

Luther

Though this epistle of St. James was rejected by the ancients, 1 I praise it and consider it a good book, because it sets up no doctrines of men but vigorously promulgates the law of God. However, to state my own opinion about it, though without prejudice to anyone, I do not regard it as the writing of an apostle; and my reasons follow.

A rather weak rejection. The “rejection” of parts of the Bible has more to do with the times Luther lived in. Luther was not alone in questioning some of these books, and I’m not speaking of other reformers. The DC books and the four epistles were all included in Luther’s translation.

Jon

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.