Sources: Obama Administration to Support Anti-Israel Resolution at UN Next Week

"THE WEEKLY STANDARD has learned that senior Obama administration officials have been telling foreign governments that the administration intends to support an effort next week at the United Nations to set up an independent commission, under UN auspices, to investigate Israel's behavior in the Gaza flotilla incident. The White House has apparently shrugged off concerns from elsewhere in the U.S. government that a) this is an extraordinary singling out of Israel, since all kinds of much worse incidents happen around the world without spurring UN investigations; b) that the investigation will be one-sided, focusing entirely on Israeli behavior and not on Turkey or on Hamas; and c) that this sets a terrible precedent for outside investigations of incidents involving U.S. troops or intelligence operatives as we conduct our own war on terror."

weeklystandard.com/blogs/sources-obama-administration-support-anti-israel-resolution-un-next-week

I guess we can put this right along with the fact that Obama refused to do a photo op or meet publicly with Netanyahu, but very proudly met and warmly shook hands with Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas. No bias in this administration, is there.

This is completely unprecedented for any United States president.

This is just plain scarey!!!!!

This increases the probability that Israel will atack Irans Nuclear facilites. Israel knows the US has abandoned them and they will now take steps to cripple their enemies.

[quote="estesbob, post:3, topic:201616"]
This increases the probability that Israel will atack Irans Nuclear facilites. Israel knows the US has abandoned them and they will now take steps to cripple their enemies.

[/quote]

Yeppers!!!!

I really think Mr. Obama needs to think about this

[quote="kimmielittle, post:4, topic:201616"]
Yeppers!!!!

I really think Mr. Obama needs to think about this

[/quote]

He has-trying to salvage the November elections is much more important than stability in the Middle East. He is playing to the Democrat party base and they are very Anti-Israel.

[quote="estesbob, post:5, topic:201616"]
He has-trying to salvage the November elections is much more important than stability in the Middle East. He is playing to the Democrat party base and they are very Anti-Israel.

[/quote]

Mr.Obama..if he wants to salvage anything...needs to salvage himself IMHO. :(

[quote="estesbob, post:3, topic:201616"]

[/quote]

That's exactly right. One of the major reasons that there has been any stability in the Mideast is the fact that Israel knew they could always count on the US to be behind them. That is no longer true. There is a reason why Obama is so disliked in Israel:

"While President Barack Obama seeks "reconciliation" with Islamic nations, a recent poll taken in the Jewish state of Israel shows Obama's plummeting popularity with a valued ally.

The poll revealed that 71 percent disliked U.S. President Barack Obama with 47 percent expressing a strong dislike. In all, 63 percent of those polled were dissatisfied with the American government's reaction to the incident.

Meanwhile, 53 percent were satisfied with Prime Minister Netanyahu's job performance while only 41 percent were satisfied with Defense Minister Ehud Barak's job performance.
Eighty five percent of the respondents indicated that Israel either did not use enough force (39 percent) or used the right amount of force (46 percent) regarding the recent ship-boarding incident. Only eight percent felt the Israelis used too much force. Sixty one percent felt that Israel should not adjust its tactics to elicit a more favorable international reaction."

newjerseynewsroom.com/nation/poll-obamas-popularity-with-israelis-plummets

And you can be sure that Obama doesn't care what Israel thinks of him. God help us all.

[quote="Brooklyn, post:1, topic:201616"]

This is completely unprecedented for any United States president.

[/quote]

Hopefully, this tepid move by Obama is a harbinger of things to come.

It's about time American presidents started treating Israel just like any other country.

Wouldn't it be in Israel's favor for a UN investigation to show they did nothing wrong? Otherwise it's all just unproven speculation and anti-Israeli sentiment may win the propaganda war.

Don't misunderstand me. I don't necessarily think Obama is doing it for the right reasons; I just think it might be the right thing to do anyway. Of course, the UN may not be trustworthy either. sigh...

[quote="momor, post:9, topic:201616"]
Wouldn't it be in Israel's favor for a UN investigation to show they did nothing wrong? Otherwise it's all just unproven speculation and anti-Israeli sentiment may win the propaganda war.

Don't misunderstand me. I don't necessarily think Obama is doing it for the right reasons; I just think it might be the right thing to do anyway. Of course, the UN may not be trustworthy either. sigh...

[/quote]

:rotfl::rotfl:

The UN find in favor of Israel???!!!!! Oh puhleez!!! I could bust a gut on that one. One of the main purposes of the UN is to condemn Israel.

The UN "may not" be trustworthy?

Do I laugh or do I cry?

[quote="momor, post:9, topic:201616"]

[/quote]

The primary purpose of the UN is to condemn Israel. At a recent UN Human rights conference US delegates sat idlly by while a speaker claimed Israeli school chidren daily sing songs about drinking Arabs blood.

One of the results of this might well be to convince all nations of the world that the U.S. is an unfaithful and worthless ally.

[quote="Ridgerunner, post:12, topic:201616"]
One of the results of this might well be to convince all nations of the world that the U.S. is an unfaithful and worthless ally.

[/quote]

Being we are in year two of an apologize and grovel foreign policy i suspect most already know that.

Check and double check. This is the United States of America, a democratic Republic, not a fiefdom of AIPAC and Jerusalem.

[quote="Rich_Olszewski, post:14, topic:201616"]
Check and double check. This is the United States of America, a democratic Republic, not a fiefdom of AIPAC and Jerusalem.

[/quote]

Israel is the only Democratic society in the Middle East, and our only real ally there. What are we saying to the world when we betray an ally? Just as has been said here - the United States cannot be trusted. So since we now have a President who shares your hatred for Israel, the Middle East will most definitely explode, both literally and figuratively. Israel will come to the realization that they are completely on their own, and they will do whatever is necessary to protect themselves. And that is one scary prospect when one of their major enemies - Iran - has nuclear weapons and has vowed to destroy Israel.

Will you be happy then?

What sort of patriotism do these remarks show? :mad:

It is an insult to those nations and to our own country to presume that nations such as Great Britain, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, Germany, Italy, and Poland, just to name a very few, regard us as unfaithful and worthless. :mad::mad:

[quote="Brooklyn, post:15, topic:201616"]
So since we now have a President who shares your hatred for Israel,

[/quote]

So easy for you to accuse me of hatred. Might I in turn accuse you of groveling before the Jerusalem government? Would that be charitable?

Can one not criticize Israel without being accused of antisemitism? Are they perfect in every way? Above criticism? Have Israelis never committed sins, either as a nation or personally? Apparently so. :(

[quote="Rich_Olszewski, post:16, topic:201616"]
What sort of patriotism do these remarks show? :mad:

It is an insult to those nations and to our own country to presume that nations such as Great Britain, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, Germany, Italy, and Poland, just to name a very few, regard us as unfaithful and worthless. :mad::mad:

[/quote]

It shows a pragamtic view of what happnes when a man with no experience is put in charge of our country. Having no experience the only thing he has to draw on is ideology

[quote="Rich_Olszewski, post:17, topic:201616"]
So easy for you to accuse me of hatred. Might I in turn accuse you of groveling before the Jerusalem government? Would that be charitable?

Can one not criticize Israel without being accused of antisemitism? Are they perfect in every way? Above criticism? Have Israelis never committed sins, either as a nation or personally? Apparently so. :(

[/quote]

I'm curious - do you have anything good to say about Israel? I haven't seen it anywhere here on this website. All I have seen from you is criticism. Yet, I do not see you criticizing any of Israel's enemies, who have all vowed to wipe them off the map. Israel has never threatened to destroy anyone, except in self defense.

Just to be pragmatic, the Jews in Israel have faced extinction many times in their history, the most recent being WWII. They have stated that they will no longer "go peacefully into the night." If they are threatened, they will strike back. The Middle East will explode, and that could cause the entire world to go up into flames. And that means you, my friend, and all the people you love.

[quote="Brooklyn, post:19, topic:201616"]
I'm curious - do you have anything good to say about Israel? I haven't seen it anywhere here on this website.

[/quote]

Yes, it is the Holy Land, the birthplace of our Savior. It has a city - Jerusalem, Yerushaláyim, al-Quds - holy to all three monotheistic religions worshiping the One God.

Yet, I do not see you criticizing any of Israel's enemies

You missed it. I called the Iranians "sh*theels" and said that they were crazy if they were serious about attacking Israel.

Just to be pragmatic, the Jews in Israel have faced extinction many times in their history, the most recent being WWII.

Not true. During WWII, the Jews in what is now Israel, then the British Mandate of Palestine, faced no extinction. The German Army didn't even get as far east as Alexandria.

The Middle East will explode, and that could cause the entire world to go up into flames.

No way. Russia and especially China would not go to war over the Middle East. The Chinese have too much to lose financially.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.