South African doctor invents female condoms with 'teeth' to fight rape

cnn.com/2010/WORLD/africa/06/20/south.africa.female.condom/

I am on the fence on this. In Africa, I am afraid it will only mean that women will end up murdered for using such a device. But then again can you fault someone for trying to protect themselves?

~Liza

I think it will only increase the violence done to the woman and men would simply learn to check for it first before penetration.

As a woman I'd rather see a Taser female condom. That way, the rapist gets zapped into submission no matter how he "touches" her. :D

This makes the typical mistake of not thinking holistically...

All this will do is increase violence towards women, and make any violent advance even more dangerous to both those who do, and those who do not use this ridiculous device.

I have issues with this.

As others have pointed out this will just increase the violence against women. Secondly, a woman's body is not meant to have something like that in her for hours, days or even weeks on end. Which is exactly what the women in Africa are going to have to do in order to keep from being raped. What are the long term side affects of wearing this device? Lastly, what about the little ones? These men are not just raping women, they are also raping babies. They rape any female they can.

This last part of the article just makes me shake my head.:(

"Yes, my device may be a medieval, but it's for a medieval deed that has been around for decades," she said. "I believe something's got to be done ... and this will make some men rethink before they assault a woman."

Rape was around long before medieval times. All this is going to do is tick the rapist off and he will come at his victim even harder.

South Africa has a huge rape problem. A year or two ago, a poll indicated that 25% of men in that country admitted (admitted!) to have committed rape at least once.

I agree with the view that this device will only increase the chance of worse violence against women. Besides, a couple years ago, a similar purposed device was made available. It resembled a tampon, butwith a spring blade embedded in it which activated with any pressure upon its tip.
iol.co.za/index.php?click_id=29&art_id=ct20001222184005162_210700

I don't recall hearing any news that that device decreased rape in South Africa.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.