South Carolina plans license plate for Christians

Church State advocates oppose the measure.

COLUMBIA, South Carolina (CNN) – Unless a federal court intervenes, South Carolina drivers may soon be able to profess their Christian faith with a state-issued license plate.
South Carolina’s plate is based on a design by Florida, which was rejected by the state.

The state plans to issue plates featuring a Christian cross and the words “I Believe,” but a group advocating the separation of church and state says that goes too far.

A similar design had been considered by Florida’s lawmakers, but it was rejected there because of concerns over separation of church and state.

South Carolina’s legislature has not made a similar specialty plate available for any other faith, he said.

While individuals can ask the DMV to print plates for other faiths – for a $4,000 fee – the request would be subject to significant limits and rules not imposed for the Christian plate. Other tags could feature a religious symbol – such as the Star of David – but no words would be allowed.

The Christian plate will include the words “I Believe” and a bright-yellow cross on a multicolored stained glass church window.

Lynn’s group said in a news release "that other religions will not be able to get similar license plates expressing differing viewpoints, nor can a comparable ‘I Don’t Believe’ license plate be issued.

I can actually get behind this one. Free plates for Christians. Everyone else has to fork of Four grand cash and there not allowed to use words.

That seems a little like preferential treatment to me…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.