South Carolina sheriff refuses to lower flag in honor of Nelson Mandela

Interesting considering the history of S.C.

cnn.com/2013/12/08/us/sheriff-mandela-no-half-staff/

True. But I would have no problem with his not lowering the flags to half staff.

Ishii

http://www.lifesitenews.com/images/sized/images/news/Nelson-Mandela-Communist325-325x277.jpg

I’ve no problem with this at all.

IMNAAHO, and only IMNAAHO, the flags should only be lowered in this country for the death of notable Americans (or for tragedy in America).

ICXC NIKA

lifesitenews.com/news/pro-life-leaders-urge-caution-while-pope-and-bishops-praise-controversial-n

The death of South African former President Nelson ‘Madiba’ Rolihlahla Mandela on Thursday has led to an outpouring of glowing praise for the man most known for ending apartheid – a system of racial segregation. However, pro-life leaders have warned that praise from Christian leaders is inappropriate given Mandela’s role in bringing abortion-on-demand and homosexual “marriage” to South Africa.

According to official statistics, nearly a million unborn children have been killed in South Africa since President Mandela signed legislation in 1996 permitting abortion on demand two years after taking office. Same-sex ‘marriage’ was legalized in 2006, with Mandela having supported it long before its passage.

“A little balance is necessary in our reaction to the man who fought one injustice, but helped institute another.”

Where is that photo from? Hard to believe we are lowering our flags for an avowed communist.

Ishii

Pope Francis’ official statement on the death of Mandela.

press.vatican.va/content/salastampa/en/bollettino/pubblico/2013/12/06/0813/01830.html

The Holy Father’s official statement does not constitute dogma or even the lowest level of Church teaching. Deo Gratias!

Why do you think the Pope would praise Mandela? Is His Holiness maybe confused or ignorant of his life?

No. HH is a world leader and mediator. As such, when a world VIP has died, it doth behoove him to say something befitting the situation.

As such, however, HH is not speaking for the Church or in his teaching capacity.

ICXC NIKA

But world leaders die all the time. Did HH praise Kim Jung Il when he died or Saddam Hussein? There are those on this forum and on some reportedly Catholic sites calling Mandela a terrorist.

Why would HH praise Mandela? Do you believe that Francis makes his praise of an honest appreciation of Mandela?

Mandela was a terrorist, but then so were the founders of my own nation. One might argue they had to be to achieve independence and that sadly the nature of the struggles they were involved in meant easy black and white assesments are hard to make. Mandela himself had become critical of the ANC as massively corrupt over the last few years as had other figures like Archbishop Tutu and unfortunately there do seem to be signs that the leaders after Mandela are men of rather lesser vision.

Racial Demographics of Pickens County South Carolina- from Wikipedia.

The racial makeup of the county was 90.27% White, 6.82% Black or African American, 0.16% Native American, 1.18% Asian, 0.01% Pacific Islander, 0.70% from other races, and 0.85% from two or more races. 1.70% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race. 27.9% were of American, 11.8% English, 11.6% Irish, 10.3% German and 5.0% Scotch-Irish ancestry according to Census 2000.

And?

and ?

and communists aren’t anyone to emulate

The forum seems to be suffering from echo effects…

Remember that HH F is from a “Third World” nation, not a Western one. As such, the “poor and downtrodden” were much more a reality for him, as we have seen from his statements since being elected Pope.

And apartheid was a very visible evil when it existed. The Western world had no real influence over it. Then NM came out from under it to overturn it.

The fact that violence is used to overcome oppression does not automatically incur opposition from the Church. Joan of Arc, remember, led Catholics in battle against other Catholics for the recovery of her country. And she has been named a saint, something you or I are very unlikely to achieve.

So all things considered, I am not at all surprised by what HH F said.

ICXC NIKA

As were the leaders after Gandhi. People like them arise only occasionally. i think what I have been hearing mostly praised is Mandela’s emphasis upon reconciliation and the fact that he almost singlehandedly shepherded in a new social structure in South Africa in ending apartheid. His ideas and approach changed radically after his 27 year incarceration. I find the man admirable for what he did for his country, and indeed for all of us. I make no judgement on the other things reported here since I have no proof that those allegations are true.

Pope Francis is a class act. The exact right words and sentiment as far as I’m concerned.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.