South Fayette mother wants case against bullied son to be dropped

Pittsburgh TribLive:

South Fayette mother wants case against bullied son to be dropped

The mother of a South Fayette High School student convicted of disorderly conduct for recording classmates bullying him wants a judge to reverse the decision and the district to apologize. Shea Love, 40, of South Fayette questioned why school officials contacted police to discuss a possible violation of wiretap laws but refused to confront the students whose voices she says were captured on an iPad tormenting her son.
Love requested the identity of her son, 15, a sophomore diagnosed with a comprehension delay disorder, ADHD, and an anxiety disorder, be kept private out of fear of retribution.

“The whole thing has been a horrible  nightmare,” Love told the Tribune-Review on Sunday. “This whole ordeal  has made my son miserable.” 
Asked to discuss the case, school board President Len Fornella said: “I can't comment on that.” 
Other school board members, Superintendent  Bille P. Rondinelli, high school principal Scott Milburn and assistant  principal Aaron Skrbin did not return calls or could not be reached  during the weekend. South Fayette police could not be reached. 

According to a transcript of a March 19 hearing before South Fayette District Judge Maureen McGraw-Desmet, the boy said he made the seven-minute recording “because I always felt like it wasn’t me being heard.”
He said classmates harassed him for several months, and even though he told his mom, he didn’t have anything to show for it.
“I wanted some help,” he said. “This wasn’t just a one-time thing. This always happens every day in that class.”

Love testified that the recording includes  one boy telling another boy to pull her son's pants down. The teacher  tells them that if what they're talking about doesn't have anything to  do with math, they need to stop talking. 
Later in the recording, Love testified, there is a loud slam, and the teacher tells them to sit down.  
Two boys ask, “What? I was just trying to scare him.” 
Milburn called South Fayette police Lt.  Robert Kurta on Feb. 12 requesting he come take a report because he  believed he “had a wiretapping incident.” State law generally prohibits  secret audio recording. 

Check out Volokh.com for an analysis of the law – it includes an exception for crime victims.

Well shame on that school. And we wonder why bullying is such a problem? It seems once again that the trouble maker gets sympathy and the victim gets punished. They need to drop any charges against this boy and kick the other one out of school. And while they are at it, maybe some school administrators or principals should lose their jobs for taking this approach in the first place. They are disgusting.

THINK PEOPLE!

These are the type of people that are supposed to be mentors and teachers? Why are we still blaming victims, especially for reacting to their own victimization!

It does seem as if those in charge have taken away all the tools kids used to use to fight bullies. They can’t learn to defend themselves and fight back physically, or they get the cops called on them and charged with assault, and now they can’t even record the bullying as proof to get administrators to stop the bullying. What is left to these kids?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.