South Korea: 'What?!': Former leader bristles at reporters questioning 1980 massacre

Excerpt:

Former President Chun Doo-hwan arrived at a district court in Gwangju on Monday to testify in a trial handling a defamation case against him.

Chun, who led an authoritarian government from 1980-1988, was indicted in May last year on charges that his memoir defamed victims of his government’s bloody crackdown on the Gwangju pro-democracy revolt.

He is accused of libeling late activist priest Cho Chul-hyun, who said he witnessed the military firing at citizens from helicopters during the bloody suppression of the protests against Chun’s rule.

I’m posting this here. It is interesting that whom is mentioned here is the “late activist priest Cho Chul-hyun” per the emboldened above. I assume this means a Catholic priest but could it mean another religion? Anyway, I thought I’d share and maybe the Catholic press will pick up on this. Any comments are welcomed.

For the record, the article does mention that investigations showed that there were machine guns fired from helicopters. This is the assertion of the late priest. The story is a bit involved but perhaps interesting for this forum. I do know, that South Korea suffered some social strife and turmoil around 1980.

Oh my, never heard of this.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.