'South Park' Creators Could Face Retribution for Depicting Muhammad, Website Warns

I’m really surprised that the creators, Parker and Stone, did this. Seems like only Christians and Catholics are generally bashed and disrespected. The results of going ahead with being disrespectful and mocking Muhammad too could really be bad for Parker and Stone. I am not a fan of their show, but neither am I a fan of violence, so I hope they stay safe.

"‘South Park’ Creators Could Face Retribution for Depicting Muhammad, Website Warns
By Joshua Rhett Miller

A radical Islamic website is warning the creators of “South Park” that they could face violent retribution for depicting the Prophet Muhammad in a bear suit during an episode broadcast on Comedy Central last week."…

Entire article here: foxnews.com/entertainment/2010/04/20/website-warns-south-park-creators-face-retribution-depicting-muhammad/?test=latestnews

South Park is disgusting, but I hope they defy this ‘fatwa’ with every ounce of their being.

I despise the show, but hopefully they will be okay. Either way, if this radical group actually goes ahead with its attack, regardless of success or failure, it will bring more attention to the dangers that we face from these extremists.

V

An excerpt and link from a related article from today’s Chicago Tribune follows.

"Radical Muslim group warns ‘South Park’ creators that episode could bring violent retribution

NEW YORK (AP) — A radical Muslim group has warned the creators of “South Park” that they could face violent retribution for depicting the prophet Muhammad in a bear suit during last week’s episode."…

Entire article here: chicagotribune.com/entertainment/sns-ap-us-tv-south-park-muslims,0,2105716.story

I’ve never seen the show. Have no interest in it but YAY!!! to them for sticking up to the Muslim Extremists Group. Though I’m disappointed to hear they did edit the ending still at least they aired it. When will the liberal extreemist wake up and see that Christians aren’t their real advisary…muslim extreemists are. They make slaves out of women and treate them worse then dogs, not to mention what they would do to gays, and all those who embrace so called sexual freedom and living together…I think though that they do support abortion and birth control. Just wait we may someday all be living under sharia law :eek: if the current status quo continues. :rolleyes::eek::shrug:

This is double edged sword for the fans. I’ve gotten used to soo many bleeps and edits that to remove them all ruins the experience for me. The best part about the south park creators is they work with what they have. The final 5 minutes were only hilarious because of the censorship. I wish them the best of luck in the future.

Any faith group should not be publicly mocked and ridiculed. In my opinion the creators of this pitiful disgusting and downright evil show went too far.

Much like a drunk driver I do not hope them ill will, but they got themselves into this mess nobody else did. I pray they will be okay but I also pray they learned a lesson. Although I doubt it.

My opinion - people like the creators of this ridiculous show are more harmful to mankind then Muslims. They destroy society slowly but surely.

With abortion they’re kind of wishy-washy and it depends more on the particular “scholar” they choose to defer to more than anything else. I don’t know about birth control.

They did. Unfortunately Comedy Central got to the episode before it aired. All mentions of Mohammed’s name were bleeped out and the image of him was replaced with a black box that said censored. The end of the episode which was supposed to be the “moral” of the show was also a series of bleeps. Insults to Jesus and Buddha were left untouched.

The website that streams the show after broadcast contains a message that network will not allow this episode to be streamed. The have also apparently decided not to show the episode in any of the re-broadcast times.

Apparently Comedy Central is also deleting any messages critical of their decision from their forums.

I think that was part of the joke. They were trying to emphasize how ridiculous these muslim extremists are by not only censoring the character of Mohammad, but also censoring even the his name and the message at the end. They were poking fun at how censored we have to be when dealing with these extremists that we can’t even get a good message out of it. Although i do not think any religious leader should be made fun of, this is simply what South Park does and in my opinion they did a brilliant job of making fun of these extremists.

[quote="KevinAK, post:9, topic:195623"]
The website that streams the show after broadcast contains a message that network will not allow this episode to be streamed. The have also apparently decided not to show the episode in any of the re-broadcast times.

[/quote]

Are you serious? That's so messed up.. they need to grow a spine already. (not the creators, the network)

South Park bashes everybody, they don’t limit it to Christianity.

I think this extremist group is ridiculous. Worry about real problems in the world, not something on a satirical television show.

And can you please tell me the number of death threats they received from Christians for their equally brutal treatment of Jesus?

This is a real problem in the world. Real people shed real blood because Muslims kill them. It is arguably the greatest threat in the world today.

That’s the point. The issue is these Muslims that go around killing people, but instead people complain about the ones who point it out.

Hmm. So, I wonder if the radical Muslim groups will target everyone? Or, just let it go? I’m guessing they won’t just let it go and a lot of people will end up threatened. Or, maybe the less radical Muslims will speak up against the radicals? It’s just nutty that people can be threatened over a cartoon and there is little reaction to that from those who are not radical.

"Seattle cartoonist launches “Everybody Draw Mohammed Day”

After Comedy Central cut a portion of a South Park episode following a death threat from a radical Muslim group, Seattle cartoonist Molly Norris wanted to counter the fear. She has declared May 20th “Everybody Draw Mohammed Day.” …

Entire article here: mynorthwest.com/?nid=11&sid=313170

I was convinced it was a joke, but Stone/Parker released a statement saying it wasn’t. The show was submitted to comedy central without any censorship at all.

The statement’s on their website (southparkstudios.com).

I think the whole blow-up over this is silly. South Park has always made fun of various religions and Islam should not be an exception. Personally, I enjoy the show and I enjoy the mocking depictions of various religious figures because they’re funny and just for entertainment. Getting that upset over something so silly is ridiculous.

What’s silly about it? The South Park creators received a death threat from a religion that issues them with regularity.

I don’t watch South Park but again, I stand against such threats of violence. The show is just as vile to Christians. We never threatened fatwa.

Another rational response from the Religion of Peace, eh? :rolleyes:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.