South Shore teacher accused of statutory rape

Link: boston.com/news/local/breaking_news/2009/01/south_shore_tea.html?p1=Well_MostPop_Emailed4

Cases like this frankly puzzle me. There seems to have been quite a rash of them in the past few years, and yet one does not find a great amount of publicity about the sex abuse charges filed against public school teachers, nor large lawsuits seeking damages on behalf of the young victims.

When it comes to sexual abuse of minors, it used to be more common to see cases where older men were abusing younger girls, or homosexual men were abusing younger boys. So why the rash of cases involving women teachers and young boys?

Here is a woman who is charged with seven counts of statutory rape, although the boy indicates they had sex some 300 times beginning when he was 13. Had the genders been reversed, I cannot imagine that the accused would be released on personal recognizance bond and fitted with a GPS device, as was the case here.

It’s not that I doubt that women any less than men have sexual urges, but it does seem to have been uncommon until recently to find that that they are so desperate for sex as to seduce their own students. And she was married. Is it just me or has our society gone crazy? And have women changed that much?

older men were abusing younger girls, or homosexual men were abusing younger boys

you forgot “heterosexual men abusing younger boys”

So why the rash of cases involving women teachers and young boys?

Um… I don’t quite get your point. Is your suggestion to ignore it?

Here is a woman who is charged with seven counts of statutory rape, although the boy indicates they had sex some 300 times beginning when he was 13. Had the genders been reversed, I cannot imagine that the accused would be released on personal recognizance bond and fitted with a GPS device, as was the case here.

It’s a double standard thing. I don’t quite get it either.

It’s not that I doubt that women any less than men have sexual urges, but it does seem to have been uncommon until recently to find that that they are so desperate for sex as to seduce their own students. And she was married. Is it just me or has our society gone crazy? And have women changed that much?

My guess - these things were happening about at the same rate as in the past before (though I can’t back my assumption statistically); just that now, with the hell of internet we get access to all the nonsense that happens in some secluded place on the toher side of the planet in seconds. + Media needs to make scandals out of something, so people would read its stuff.

Things were treated differently ‘way back when’. When I was in grade 11 one of our classmates married one of her teachers. Today he’d be dragged before the courts and never teach again just for dating her. We all just considered her lucky to have snagged the cutie in the teachers’ lounge.

Well, grade 11 would be a junior in high school, right? Age 13 is eighth grade in elementary school, or at least it was in my day, before middle school became popular. As to Roberts speculation that these things happened at the same rate in the past, I’m not seeing it. Grade school teachers just didn’t get crushes on 8th graders in my day. And nobody even knew about sex.

Heterosexual men do not sexually abuse young boys. Either homosexuals or bisexuals do. Men on boys is same sex, unless you’re now considering boys to be opposite sex to men?

Heterosexual men do sexually abuse young girls (as well as bisexuals). Homosexual men do not sexally abuse young girls.

Shoukld have specified: “self identified” heterosexual men that actually have families & live a “normal” life.

“-In one study, 98% of males who raped boys reported that they were heterosexual. (“Sexual Abuse of Boys,” Journal of the American Medical Association, December 2, 1998)”

*Most men also find it surprising that men that are heterosexual commit most rapes of males. In one study by Groth and Burgess, only 7% of the rapists were homosexual. *
stlawu.edu/advocates/male_rape.php

An old statistic though. I’ll need to look into recent one later on.

Homosexual men do not sexally abuse young girls

It seems to me what you’re saying is if somebody is gay, for instance, they can not ever have heterosexual sex; cause that jsut makes them bisexual or heterosexual.

People identify themselves falsely all the time. In fact, I just got an email from someone claiming to be the head of the Nigerian Central bank :slight_smile:

It seems to me what you’re saying is if somebody is gay, for instance, they can not ever have heterosexual sex; cause that jsut makes them bisexual or heterosexual.

Homosexual men are not attracted to women and don’t have sex with them. If they had sex with both men and women, that’s bisexual.

And there are men who have left the homosexual lifestyle and became heterosexual. Those I consider heterosexual.

My neice is rather new high school teacher. When she sees these types of reports it makes her angry and a little crazy. She’s doesn’t see how any teacher could be romantically attracted to a student–especially a grade school student; and neither can I. It strikes me as a new phenomenon.

Most pedophiles are heterosexual in their adult relationships.

Again, you avoid the point.

Men on boys is same sex, unless you’re now considering boys to be opposite sex to men?

It is a simple question.

Sexual orientation doesn’t have anything to do with age, it has to do with what sex gets the motor revving.

If someone is opposite-sex attracted when it comes to adults and same-sex attracted when it comes to children, this is two different sexes, thus bisexuality.

I think that until very recently, men felt that if a boy had intimate relations with an older woman, it was a good thing. Unfortunately, I still know some old men who hold this twisted belief. They thought an older woman would teach the boy to be a great lover. Pretty sick if you ask me.:mad:

When I was a kid in high school, I knew of several boys who were fifteen that were sucked into relationships with women in their twenties and thirties. These women were not teachers. The parents were angry, but the police, at that time, just laughed at the parents saying the kids gotta grow up sometime.:mad:

Why don’t you hear it on the news?

1. Teachers don’t hold themselves up as moral authorities the way religious figures do. It’s simply a juicier story when a religious figure commits a sex crime than when a regular person does, fair or not.

2. School systems can’t be sued for sexual molestation. Teachers can, but its a rare teacher’s fortune that would even pay the lawyer’s bill. It seems the government has decided that lawsuits against school systems would punish taxpayers who did no wrong instead of the actual perpetrators. Too bad they can’t see the similar logic for parishioners and diocesan donors.

The real lesson of the priestly sex scandal is NOT that priests commit sex abuse. It is that EVEN priests can be guilty of sex abuse and that ANY position of authority over children must be monitored carefully to make sure that authority isn’t being exploited for criminal sexual purposes. Teachers, coaches, counselors, priests, social workers, etc all have the potential to be abusers.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.