South Sudan becomes an independent nation

South Sudan has become the world’s newest nation, the climax of a process made possible by the 2005 peace deal that ended a long and bloody civil war.

Sudan’s President Omar al-Bashir and UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon are among international dignitaries attending celebrations in the capital, Juba.

Sudan earlier became the first state to officially recognise its new neighbour.

The south’s independence follows decades of conflict with the north in which some 1.5 million people died.

Celebrations in Juba began at midnight (2100 GMT). A countdown clock in the city centre reached zero and the new national anthem was played on television.

South Sudan became the 193rd country recognised by the UN and the 54th UN member state in Africa.

bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-14089843

I’m not sure if I should be excited for them, now that they are independent, or nervous. They will have a lot of work to do. But I guess it is an encouraging sign that Sudan was the first to recognize the new country. I hope the two countries will have positive relations. But who knows?

In Christ through Mary,
Nevermore

:D…:thumbsup:

Up to South Sudan…Hurrah…

There is something missing. North Sudan is Muslim who killed christians by the millions . south Sudan are Catholics, the victims which at last, have their own…:thumbsup:

There is liberty in secession!!!

Huh? :confused:

You’re British, you wouldn’t understand.

:frowning:

Alrigh’ guv’nor, us simple folk no have so much smarts.

There there, I forgive you ignint pinko Limeys.

:smiley:

I forgive you Yanks an’ all, you lots is too busy savin’ the world an’ all tha’ to bother wit the lykes of us!

(All in good fun ;))

Oye, don’t get me started on Team America and the World Police Force…:mad:

You type a really good Cockey. You from the East End?

I am thrilled for the South Sudanese. Hopefully now they will enjoy religious and political freedom. I wish them every success. :thumbsup:

And we Canucks are way too busy protecting the Duke (who has an awesome voice) and Duchess of Cambridge. :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes and no. South Sudan may be majority Christian (the exact percentage is disputed), however local religions (often referred to as Animism) also have a very strong following. And even among the Christians, Anglicans and Catholics both are well represented, with smaller denominations also present.

Simplifying the north-south divide as Muslim-Christian seems to be a mistake. Ethnic and racial divisions seem to be at least as important, with (north) Sudan facing multiple insurgencies among its Muslim but non-Arab peoples.
nytimes.com/2011/06/21/world/africa/21sudan.html

Both Sudan and South Sudan face major difficulties in the months and years ahead.

They should change their name to sever the “sudan” connection.

Like the way Upper Volta became Burkina Fasso.

Like that.

Putting some distance between the new nation and the government to the north seems a good idea.

Apparently, the provisional government had debated the issue and decided on the Republic of South Sudan for matters of convenience and familiarity. However, the name could change in the future. This is from a January 2011 news article, quoting Benjamin Marial, the minister of information.

“There are many things to change,” Mr. Marial said. “But should the people of South Sudan in the future want a new name, they will have that chance.”

Since southern Sudan’s separatist movement began in the mid-1950s, a number of names have been proposed for this region. Mr. Marial said some of the more popular choices among the committee members included Azania, Nile Republic, Kush Republic and even Juwama, an acronym for Juba, Wau and Malakal, three major southern cities.

nytimes.com/2011/01/24/world/africa/24sudan.html

I hope and pray that God blesses this new nation and that this new nation follows God’s will in all things. May the people of South Sudan be blessed always and may they never give in to the temptation to allow such atrocities as abortion, gay “marriage”, euthanasia, or assisted suicide.

Why not! It’s a good film! :wink:

:stuck_out_tongue: Nope, actually I’m from a posh area of East Anglia, on the “South” side of the unofficial divide in England. I’ve been told that I’m well-spoken and “how English should sound”, (think BBC-English). However, I’m the only “southerner” in my family, everyone else is northern (my parents moved to the south) and I live in the north for university, so I stand out. Surprising how similar northern accents can sound when compared to London ones, if you spell it out phonetically. I suppose I didn’t help by using the word guv’nor.

You better look after them! They’re a national treasure you know! :thumbsup:

Back on topic, I agree, I think they should have their own name. How do you name a country though?

How about a contest? Different persons from the country could make a televised pitch for their name of choice, complete with a multimedia presentation. A panel of judges could then critique them. After all the names have been proposed, everyone watching could then vote via their cellphones! :slight_smile:

That sounds suspiciously like Pop Idol, or X factor, or Britain’s Got Talent… :hmmm:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.