Spain sends condoms to Africa

Spain sends a million condoms to Africa

I can’t help but feel this is a direct response to the Pope’s words, and a hostile gesture. Please, let’s pray for Spain.

Hail Mary, full of Grace, the Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou amongst women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners,
Now and at the hour of our death, Amen.

Hmm. The current Spanish administration seems taken by symbolic actions. Just recently the Defense Minister announced a unilateral withdrawal of Spanish soldiers from the NATO forces in Kosovo, effective this summer. After an immediate and widespread criticism, the Spanish government backed off of that announcement.
independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/spains-defence-minister-shot-down-over-nato-gaffe-1651734.html

Excerpt from Jesus of Nazareth by His Holiness Pope Benedict XVI

The aid offered by the West to developing countries has been purely technically and materially based, and not only has left God out of the picture, but has driven men away from God. And this aid, proudly claiming to “know better,” is itself what first turned the “third world” into what we mean today by that term. It has thrust aside the indigenous religious, ethnical, and social structures and filled the resulting vacuum with its technocratic mind-set. The idea was that we could turn stones into bread; instead our “aid” has only given stones in place of bread. The issues it he primacy of God. The issue is acknowledging that he is a reality, that he is reality without which nothing else can be good. History cannot be detached from God and then run smoothly on purely material lines. If man’s heart is not good, then nothing else can turn out good, either. And the goodness of the human heart can ultimately come only from the One who is goodness, who is the Good itself.

p. 34

I fear we’ve lost the world. Once, all the civilized world was Catholic. What’s left? Ireland?

That’s suppose to be a good thing. That AIDS mess is getting bad.

Ironically Yours, Blade and Blood

Ireland is hardly particulary Catholic any more, the influence of the church has declined massively in the last two decades or so - less than 40 per cent of people attend mass regularly and many people are totally apathetic about any form of religion at all.

AIDS in the United States in certan cities and among certain population groups is MUCH worse than it is in much of Africa, though of course the crisis is very very large in other countries of Africa. A Harvard AIDS expert statistically believes that condoms don’t prevent AIDS, they help spread it by encouraging promiscuity. The areas in Africa that have experienced a focus on chastity and abstinence programs (Uganda) are the ones where AIDS has been reduced (as far as I can tell). I am very sad that we may be further hurting the continent by trying to help them in immoral ways. :(:(:frowning: I hope that the Western nations of the world take heed of the research findings.

Already, people who work in development are saying that our efforts to help have done a love of harm. The White Man’s Burden: Why the West’s Efforts to Aid the Rest Have Done So Much Ill and So Little Good amazon.com/White-Mans-Burden-Efforts-Little/dp/1594200378 although the debate is still going on strong The End of Poverty: Economic Possibilities for Our Time amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_b?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=jeffrey+sachs

I suggest to all of us that when we aid suffering people, we make sure to do it in moral ways rather than untested and unproved immoral ways. This goes to myself first of all. :o:(

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.