Spanish Government Appoints a ‘Sex Czar’ to Reverse Country’s Declining Population

Spanish Government Appoints a ‘Sex Czar’ to Reverse Country’s Declining Population

The population vacuum is getting the attention of Government officials in Spain and is allegedly occurring all over in Europe.

The population dearth also seems to be having dire societal consequences.

Here is the story (from Heat Street and from ABC news Spain - ABC Espana).

Since I cannot find this covered by the mainstream media in the US (but CAN find it in Spain’s mainstream media AND US alternative media) I thought it would be appropriate to post in “World News”. Fox News DID link to the HS story though.

By Heat Street Staff | 4:39 am, March 1, 2017

The Spanish government has created a new post in an attempt to boost pregnancy rates and halt the country’s declining population.

The role of the so-called “sex czar” is to be taken up by Edelmira Barreria Diz, a demographics expert and senator in the Galician parliament.

According to official statistics, Spain recorded a lower number of births than deaths last year, the first time this has happened since 1941.

Ms Barreria Diz, who has been appointed as head of the commission for demographics by Spain’s prime minister, Mariano Rajoy, has been asked to help reverse a trend which appears to have taken root in the southern European country: the birth rate in Spain has shrunk by 18% since 2008.

The Eurozone crisis . . .

heatst.com/life/spanish-government-appoints-a-sex-tsar-to-reverse-countrys-declining-population/

Here is the same basic story subject from a different news outlet (ABC news Spain).

The story suggests this population vacuum is occurring throughout Europe!

. . . . The Government spokesman and Education Minister has pointed out that the demographic imbalance, common to virtually all EU countries, aggravates other economic imbalances and generates important “impacts” in the Welfare State.

(Story excerpt using Google Translate to English)

The Government appoints Edelmira Barreira as new Commissioner for the demographic challenge

The figure is created before “the aging, the depopulation of the rural environment and the low birth rate” of Spain

. . . . The proposal of Galicia will be the professor of Public Treasury of the University of Vigo Santiago Lago Peñas. Also, on that day, he corroborated an announcement that Rajoy launched just minutes earlier: the creation of a Commissioner to be a partner in the communities and the FEMP and to draft the National Strategy on demographic imbalances. . .

. . . . It now takes on the challenge of designing an essential document for the future of the country, due to the loss of population and the prospects that this trend generates in the medium and long term. The Government spokesman and Education Minister has pointed out that the demographic imbalance, common to virtually all EU countries, aggravates other economic imbalances and generates important “impacts” in the Welfare State.

abc.es/espana/abci-gobierno-nombra-edelmira-barreira-nueva-comisionada-para-reto-demografico-201701271549_noticia.html

Here is a brief excerpt from the same ABC News story (in the original Spanish). . . .

El Gobierno nombra a Edelmira Barreira nueva comisionada para el reto demográfico

La figura se crea ante «el envejecimiento, la despoblación del medio rural y la baja natalidad» de España

abcespana Madrid

27/01/2017 15:49h - Actualizado: 27/01/2017 15:49h.

. . . Asume ahora el reto de diseñar un documento esencial para el futuro del país, debido a la pérdida de población y a las perspectivas que esa tendencia genera a medio y largo plazo. El portavoz del Gobierno y ministro de Educación ha señalado que el desequilibrio demográfico, común prácticamente todos los países de la UE, agrava otros desequilibrios económicos y genera importantes «impactos» en el Estado de Bienestar.

abc.es/espana/abci-gobierno-nombra-edelmira-barreira-nueva-comisionada-para-reto-demografico-201701271549_noticia.html

Is the ‘demographic winter’ phenomenon as prevalent in Eastern Europe as it is in Western Europe? What will a ‘sex czar’ be able to do to reverse it?

Actually the article isn’t quite right. Eastern Europe has the lowest birth rates - Poland, Lithuania, Romania and Slovakia . Southern Europe is next though Italy’s rates have improved. And Northern Europe’s rates are generally now at the same level as the US.

Coincidentally they’re considered one of the world’s most pro-homosexual countries.

What will a ‘sex czar’ be able to do to reverse it?

Good question tomarin. I have no idea what they are going to do.

I recall talking to the late Fr. Paul Marx (may he RIP) about this phenomenon and the disastrous consequences the abortion/contraception mindset will have upon the world.

The people who are contracepting and aborting their own children out of their lives in many cases, don’t WANT to go back to openness to life. So it may be tough.

I’ve heard that Russia (and Japan) is offering parents financial incentives to have babies. But many times these incentives are ineffective.

God bless.

Cathoholic

And your explanation for the lower birth rates in Poland, Hungary, Slovakia is…?

I don’t know, but I am aware that a lot of young people from those countries aren’t there. They’re working in places like Germany, England and the Netherlands. Any significant reduction in the number of younger people is going to affect the in-country birth rates.

Some countries, like England, have seen improvements in their birth rates. How much of that is due to immigrants from Eastern Europe and how much is due to Muslim immigration is unknown to me.

Last year, Deutsche Welle German news service has even told us for example, many Japanese men and women don’ t even attempt mariage anymore adding to this demographic winter or as Deutsche Welle says, the . . . "Demographic Time Bomb".

Why fewer Japanese are seeking marriage

23.06.2016 Deutsche Welle

The number of young Japanese men and women wanting to get married has seen a sharp decline, reveals a new study. What are the reasons behind this trend and how is it impacting society? . . . .

. . . . Demographic time bomb

And with Japan already struggling to find ways to overcome a demographic challenge of too few babies being born and people living longer - thus requiring more pensions and expensive advanced medical care - the results of a new survey make bleak reading.

A study by an affiliate of Tokyo-based Meiji Yasuda Life Insurance shows that the proportion of Japanese men in their 20s who want to marry has slumped to 38.7 percent, down alarmingly from 67.1 percent just three years ago.

For women in their 20s, the rate fell from 82.2 percent in 2013 to 59 percent. . .

dw.com/en/why-fewer-japanese-are-seeking-marriage/a-19349576

A declining birthrate is often symptomatic of an increasingly hedonistic society.

I suspect a lot of things go into a decision not to have children, or to have them. But it has seemed to me the following are almost certainly true.

Having children bespeaks a belief in the future. If you don’t expect much of the future, you’ll be less inclined to have children. It might be there is no real optimism in Spain, for example. Are people there fatalistic, and not looking beyond today in any manner?

Having children bespeaks a belief in God, really. If you believe in eternity, you’ll see children in a very different way than if you don’t. You’re giving them eternal life and are making a gift of souls to God, and your own material conditions of life really don’t matter so much. How many Spaniards are really believers?

But it does take money to raise and educate children. If the government takes everything but one’s own bare living, it’s hard to put together enough to do anything but provide bare subsistence to children.

It won’t work. Even if she told them what they needed to hear, they wouldn’t listen.

Signing up for an unhappiness greater than the death of their partner is a hard sell. Not sure how universal the sentiment of that study is, but it might be a big factor.

Perhaps part of the solution is for couples with children to share stories of parenthood being a happy and fulfilling thing?

cbsnews.com/news/birth-first-child-likely-make-parents-unhappy-demography-study-finds/

[quote=Article] A new study contends having a child can mar parents’ happiness more than divorce, unemployment and even the death of a partner.
[/quote]

I am absolutely knocked out by the assertion that having a child is a greater unhappiness than the death of one’s partner, being unemployed, etc. I just can’t imagine such a thing. Yes, it disrupts one’s life, but it’s just such a wonderful thing I can’t imagine that happiness failing to prevail over “my life is changed, now”.

I realize women can get depressed in pregnancy and after. I get that, and it’s physically demanding for women, and I get that too. For me, a man, it was just more like befuddlement until our first child was actually born. But my wife and I didn’t regret it for a single day, not the birth of any of our children.

I’m just slack-jawed. I really am. “The death of a partner”???

Hear, hear.

Forcing people to have kids is not convincing.
[/quote]

I’m not saying it is. I’m just saying that that perception probably plays a big role in the decision to have or not have children

I’m not saying you did or that you thought it.

But I’ll add that something is terribly wrong with people who even imagine that having a child is worse than the death of a partner. Terribly wrong.

Back when extended families were more common, the birth of a child and its accompanying adjustments and difficulties were buffered by the help of family members nearby.

Now with nuclear families on their own in an increasingly transient society, this adjustment to having a child along with increased social isolation is difficult for first time parents. Now we can go on and on about how children are blessings but we also have to acknowledge that there are challenges.

Of course there are challenges, but still, the death of a partner?

I remember talking to a lady who had been treated (successfully, but only after a time). She reported to her psychiatrist (or psychologist, I can’t remember which) that she had all kinds of troubles and couldn’t see any way out of them.

“That’s because you’re out of money”, the shrink said. The lady was baffled.

“I didn’t mean actual money, but psychological strength is like money in a way. You build up psychological strength through the events of your life and dealing with them; sometimes successfully, sometimes not. But you gain psychological “money” every time. If you’re depressed, which you are, you “run out of money” very quickly and can’t “buy your way out” with the strength you have built up. We’ll get you out of your depression (she had a serotonin uptake problem) but then you have to concentrate on building up your “money” for things that matter instead of going broke spending it on things that don’t.”

(I’m paraphrasing, of course)

One wonder how these people managed to 'run out of money". How did they build up no “bank account” of psychological strength that they would imagine having a baby being worse than the death of a partner? Do they hold the lives of their “partners” at so little, or do they see the birth of a child as an ultimate tragedy they haven’t the psychological strength to bear.

How did they live this long without building up any “reserves”?

Something extremely bad is going on; something that’s psychologically, even spiritually, draining, so that they’re “flat broke”.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.