Spanish Inquisition: What is the truth of what happened?

Can anyone help me know the truth about what really happened in the Spanish Inquisition. I am told different things, and I don’t know what is real, or fabricated.

Inquisition

The Spanish Inquisition: Fact Versus Fiction

A New Look At the Spanish Inquisition

The Inquisition

Secrets of the Spanish Inquisition Revealed

Henry Kamen’s The Spanish Inquisition is a great place to start. Kamen is an atheist so his credibility cannot be questioned. No one would accuse him of being a Catholic syncophant.

Kamen totally dismantles all of the non-Catholic claims and myths concerning the Inquisition. What you’ve already been given links to is all corroborated by Kamen and other modern historians. The BBC even did a program a few years ago that also shot down all of the nonsense perpetrated in the past.

Thanks. Guess i didn’t really need to start a thread. i should have just taken what you’d given. i just thought it would be helpful for others to be able to debate the point with both protestants and athiests.
we shall see what happens.

Oh good, I get to link to my article on

Dave Hunt and the Spanish Inquisition

(from July 1998, 10 year anniversary :stuck_out_tongue: )

Phil P

A dubious proposition!

No one would accuse him of being a Catholic syncophant.

True, but a Protestant might accuse him of having a revisionist agenda. One could make a case that a secular revisionist writing in English might have a bias against the traditional Whig Protestant narrative of Western history.

Don’t get me wrong–I second your recommendation of Kamen enthusiastically. But the argument “so-and-so has such-and-such a religious/nonreligious stance and thus can’t be accused of bias” is a flawed one.

No historian is beyond question. No historian is beyond bias, and bias can take very funny forms. It’s simply not a good idea to appeal to some supposed lack of bias. It’s much better to appeal to professional credentials, and to cite several different historians when possible.

Edwin

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.