Spanish Mass for English Speakers

Quick Question:

Does anyone have a good link to a website or video helping English speakers with Spanish Mass responses?

We’ve been trying to attend daily and recently, the priest at the morning mass has been using Spanish exclusively. We try to respond in English, but I’m getting it all messed up and feel a bit rude. I want to attend daily, and not be in any way disruptive, so if anyone has any links that might help us with this, I’d really appreciate it. Ultimately, I want to become fluent in Spanish so I can speak with my neighbors, but that’s been a long time coming. If we could just respond correctly, that would be nice.

Thanks in advance for any help.

don't have a link but if you go to mass alot try this book its around 10 bucks at local catholic book stores

amazon.com/Oracional-bilingüe-Spanish-English-Communities-English/dp/0814620949

angilella.it/missa/missa_es_en2.pdf

some other side-by-sides:

angilella.it/missa/

I generally have a Latin-vernacular printed and bring it with me to a non-English Mass. You can buy some binding device at Office Depot or Staples if you want. No one will object.

If you want to practice responses, I suggest running some of the text through the Google translator and use the sound option there.

[quote="knotanes, post:1, topic:295024"]
Quick Question:

Does anyone have a good link to a website or video helping English speakers with Spanish Mass responses?

We've been trying to attend daily and recently, the priest at the morning mass has been using Spanish exclusively. We try to respond in English, but I'm getting it all messed up and feel a bit rude. I want to attend daily, and not be in any way disruptive, so if anyone has any links that might help us with this, I'd really appreciate it. Ultimately, I want to become fluent in Spanish so I can speak with my neighbors, but that's been a long time coming. If we could just respond correctly, that would be nice.

[/quote]

I'm pretty sure they're the same responses no matter the language.

And if you're in the USA then your neighbors should learn English, you shouldn't have to learn Spanish. Just sayin...

-Chris

[quote="cmforte, post:4, topic:295024"]

And if you're in the USA then your neighbors should learn English, you shouldn't have to learn Spanish. Just sayin...

-Chris

[/quote]

they are the same but you still have to learn them because they are in a different language.

but I think they should be learning english but people who spoke spanish first before english have a deeper connection to their native language and if you can speak to them in spanish you will be able to minister to them better. So if you are in some type of ministry in a area that has a large Hispanic population you should at-least learn some spanish.

[/quote]

Many, if not most, of them are bilingual to some extent. They just feel more comfortable with the Spanish Mass and their own culture. True of other cultures like Polish as well.

-Chris

[/quote]

I'm sure many know English, to some extent, but not all do in this area, and I would like to be able to better communicate--in whatever language other people are most comfortable using. I just see it as an effort to be more friendly and thoughtful. Besides, it never hurts to know more than one language.

:)

[quote="knotanes, post:1, topic:295024"]
Quick Question:

We've been trying to attend daily and recently, the priest at the morning mass has been using Spanish exclusively. We try to respond in English, but I'm getting it all messed up and feel a bit rude. I want to attend daily, and not be in any way disruptive, so if anyone has any links that might help us with this, I'd really appreciate it. Ultimately, I want to become fluent in Spanish so I can speak with my neighbors, but that's been a long time coming. If we could just respond correctly, that would be nice.

[/quote]

I have this booklet, in the Portuguese version, it's really excellent and very cheap. It includes some basic prayers as well as the Order of the Mass.

The missalettes that our parish uses are bilingual, in a side-by-side layout. I'll try to get a contact so you could perhaps order one for yourself.

(One of the things I do on Sunday mornings before Mass is to go thru the days readings on the Spanish pages. I'm not speaking-fluent, but I can get thru the readings, with some checking on the opposite page.)

[quote="DaveBj, post:9, topic:295024"]
The missalettes that our parish uses are bilingual, in a side-by-side layout. I'll try to get a contact so you could perhaps order one for yourself.

(One of the things I do on Sunday mornings before Mass is to go thru the days readings on the Spanish pages. I'm not speaking-fluent, but I can get thru the readings, with some checking on the opposite page.)

[/quote]

If it is the same one our parish uses, they would be from J.S. Paluch/World Library Press.

It is the norm for humans to be at least bilingual in most countries in the world – except in the United States where they seem to think that English is enough and everyone else should learn it. It’s a combination of cultural ignorance and arrogance and is very embarrassing (And don’t let me get started on their resistance to the metric system!).

I include myself in this criticism as I was raised in Ohio and when I left America as an Adult I was not even close to being bilingual and had to play catch up.

My little parish in Tokyo has mass in Japanese as well as English and Spanish. Sure, all the members can speak Japanese to some extent, but it makes a world of difference when you are a visitor in a foreign country and have the opportunity to pray in the language of your heart, your mother tongue.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.