Spanish Mass: What do the People Say at the Words of Institution?

I went to Spanish Mass tonight. The people said some words together at the institution narrative - this is my body, this is the chalice of my blood - when the bells were rung.

Anyone know what they might have been saying?

-Tim-

Are you referring to the memorial acclamation? Or was this something else?

Something else.

The priest said, “This is my body, given up for you” in Spanish. He raised the host and all said something together as the bells were rung. Same deal with the chalice - all said something together as the bells were rung.

I’m 96.48372% sure that the memorial acclamation was said right after this.

-Tim-

Perhaps they were the Spanish equivalents of, “My Lord and My God,” “My Jesus, Mercy,” or other such prayers. Those were what so many of us English speakers were taught to say (silently) during the elevations.

What the people say is

“Señor mío, y Dios mío” - My Lord and my God. It’s what Tomás said when he finally met Jesus after the Resurrection. We acknowledge as well that the bread and wine are really and truly Jesus; our Lord, our God and our Saviour.

More than likely, it’s “Senor mio. Dios mio.”…My Lord. My God.

Yes… “Senor mio. Dios mio.” That was it.

Gracias a todos!

-Tim-

It’s traditional to say “My Lord and My God,” the words of St. Thomas the Apostle, at that moment. If you listen closely, you can hear people whispering it all around you at my parish.

In Spanish I believe that would be something like, “Mi Señor y mi Dios.”

That would be my first guess, but it’s just a guess.

Oops, I see you already figured it out!

I hope this isn’t too off topic, and maybe it should be another thread, but I have a question.

As far as I know, this is not something that is in the rubrics, and based on some of the info in this thread, it is just a “pious custom” that has been kept by some Hispanic Catholics, so how come it’s OK to do?

So many times we see threads that are anti- hand holding during the Our Father, anti-orans position, anti-sign of peace for the laity, etc, etc, etc., none of which are prescribed in the GIRM, and are often called “abuses”, why isn’t this?

Isn’t this akin to the same thing? Or is it because it is “cultural” and no one wants to be accused of being intolerant?

I really mean no disrespect, I am actually curious. How can one “innovation” be an abuse, but another be a “pious custom”, or does it all depend on the person who is objecting? :shrug:

Let me preface be saying that I will not argue against what other laypeople want to do with their hands. I go to Latin Mass, don’t see any of them, and don’t much care. (Well, I do hear a lot of “My Lord and my God.” It’s not just kept by Hispanics.)

But the first thing that came to mind is that some things have different origins and also some things can be hallowed by time, I think.

Let’s leave the sign of peace off the table since the Church put that in there.

The other two, as far as I know, are recent customs. One is said to come from secular self-help groups. The other appears to be people aping father at that moment in the Mass, which may or may not be appropriate.

The “My Lord and my God” acclamation seems to be quite old, and it is included as a recommended devotion in a lot of old handmissals that were approved by the Church. I believe in Abp. Fulton Sheen’s video about the Mass (ca. 1940) he mentions this custom and recommends it. So it has age on its side, it is a Biblical phrase, and was encouraged by priests and nuns for generations.

I think there’s merit in seeing these latter things as carrying more weight than the former.

Actually these are fair points. But aren’t the bishops allowed to interpret the IGMR for their own cultures?

I would say yes, but the OP is from the US, and I assume he is talking about a Spanish Mass that is being held in the US, so…

my question still stands. How come this is OK, but me holding my hands in the “orans” posture (which is clearly shown in many of the catacomb frescoes and to address something in Rich C’s post above) is called “abusive” and I am accused of trying to be a priest? :shrug:

And again, I am not trying to be argumentative. I genuinely do not understand how one thing can be OK, and something else is not. I guess it really is all based on the person who is objecting and what they are objecting to, not so much that something is being done that is not prescribed in the rubrics. :shrug:

At the elevation of the Host the people strike their breast and say “My Lord and my God” and then at the elevation of the chalice they say “Remember oh Lord your creature who you have redeemed by the shedding of your blood”- where was the Mass? I am English but I speak Spanish very fluently and I lived in a Religious Order in Spain for 5 months (going to Mass everyday) so I am pretty sure that is your answer.

Unless it may be a regional thing- like for example in Ireland the people say “through him with him in…” with the Priest but in the UK that is not done- each country has slight differences and customs. But I am sure the answer I gave you in this case is what you are looking for.

Also whereas in the UK during the Consecration all the people will kneel down in Spain there is no official ruling and some people kneel and others stand, if they kneel they usually stand after the Consecration has taken place- but not always.

Hope that helps, I miss Spain a lot and there are some beautiful Catholic customs, however, sadly Traditional Catholic teaching in Spain is in crisis and there is a huge divide between conservatives and liberals- the liberals being the majority and highly influencing the Spanish Church and people- I know it as I experienced it myself!

Dios te bendiga!

OK, I have a real answer this time and not just my opinion. This is from the Fr. Lasance prayer book:

His Holiness, Pope Pius X, on May 18, 1907, granted an indulgence of seven years and seven quarantines, to all the faithful who, at the Elevation during Mass, or at public exposition of the Blessed Sacrament, look upon the sacred Host and say: “My Lord and my God!”

So in the end, this turns out to be an official thing from the pope himself.

Perhaps Catholics who are familiar with the Mass from the 1950s and earlier, both English and Spanish speaking, can answer a question.

Has it long been a custom to say, “My Lord and My God” (in any language) out loud?

I was taught to say it silently but from this thread (and others) I have learned that some people say it audibly. Phonating the words has not been part of my Irish-American Catholic “experience” but thinking them has always been. I don’t know enough about other cultures.

But what does he mean by, “say”? I question whether the Pope was referring to phonating the words.

If you look at my post #15, I may have found the origin of this.

It goes back at least to 1907, when St. Pope Pius X made it an indulgence to say it at the Elevation.

All the mentions I found use the word “say,” not say silently. I say it as quietly as I can, however, like most people I know.

I think unless we know better, “say” should be interpreted as “say,” as in out loud.

Very likely, the bells will drown out this prayer anyway.

The texts of the Spanish Masses are agreed upon by Spanish bishops of other countries and I imagine some of the rubrics and customs are as well. The local bishop “allows” these within his own diocese when he “allows” Spanish Masses there, I would think. (I put the quotes there as there may be some pressure from Rome to employ more Spanish priests and deacons in some dioceses. According to a source, liturgically the U.S. is regarded now as a bilingual country.)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.