Spanish parliament to extend rights to apes

reuters.com/article/scienceNews/idUSL256586320080625

Spanish Evolutionists Gone Mad… Gives Rights To Apes

Commentary from AiG’s News to note:
6. Reuters: “Spanish Parliament to Extend Rights to Apes”

For the first time, a national legislature has voiced support for extending human rights to animals.

Resolutions approved in the Spanish Parliament’s environmental committee call on Spain to comply with the Great Apes project in protecting apes from harmful experimentation. According to the report, the resolutions enjoy cross-party support and will likely become law.

In addition, the law would also protect apes from being kept for the purpose of circuses or filming, both punishable offenses. Zoos will still be allowed to keep apes, but “conditions will need to improve drastically.”

The disturbing part of this story is not the protection for the apes. After all, humans have an obligation to care for the world that God created—including the apes. What is disturbing is the justification for this law, which was not (unsurprisingly) based on God’s command in Genesis.

Instead, the Great Apes Project’s founders claim that “non-human-hominids” are “our closest relatives” and should enjoy “the right to life, freedom, and not to be tortured.” The law, then, is founded upon evolutionary assumptions—a shaky foundation at best, since this law actually goes against evolutionary expectations.

If evolution is all there is, then why should we not abuse animals, including apes, as we see fit—especially if it can benefit us? After all, as it allegedly has been for “zillions” of years, animals must either evolve ways to survive our onslaught or die off to make room for us. Why should there be any moral value given to one species’s attempts at living and using resources as compared to another’s. In the supposed evolutionary nature of this world, we wouldn’t sue wolves for killing rabbits, cats for attacking dogs, or bats for eating fruit, or even male lions killing another male’s offspring, since everything is the result of time and chance with no inherent worth. But one can hardly expect these founders to be consistent, since they have no basis for objective truth.

answersingenesis.org/articles/2008/06/28/news-to-note-06282008

I’m thinking they need to get a life in Spain.

Will they get the right to vote and to fill out tax forms and to enter medical school?

I, for one, welcome our new Ape Overlords.

(As long as they keep their stinkin’ paws off me)
tee

Also discussed here:

Why does this remind me of the “Planet of the Apes”

The one thing that really concerns me is the idea of a ‘right to life’ for any animal. Genesis makes clear that animals were placed under the domination of man, and moreover were given to us for food. Which necessarily involves slaughter (in a humane way of course). Not that I eat monkeys or apes, but some cultures do.

I don’t see any problems with acknowledging certain other animal rights. To do so is entirely in keeping with appropriate stewardship and recognition of their value as God’s creatures. This should be restricted though, to things such as the right to freedom from torture.

Actually, if you read Genesis carefully, you’ll see that our eating meat was not part of God’s original plan. In Genesis 1:28, God gives us dominion over all the animals:

And God blessed them, and God said to them, “Be fruitful and multiply, and fill the earth and subdue it; and have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the air and over every living thing that moves upon the earth.”

But in the next verse, he only gives us the plants as food:

And God said, "Behold, I have given you every plant yielding seed which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree with seed in its fruit; you shall have them for food.

To bad they don’t give rights to humans

youtube.com/watch?v=36OPNTJGUMU

Uh huh, and that’s why God gave us canine teeth (which herbivores don’t have), because we’re not supposed to eat meat :nope: I don’t think we grew those after the fall, somehow.

Didn’t Jesus eat lamb and fish?

Won’t be long some Orangutan out in the San Diego zoo is gonna go to the Surpeme Court because he didn’t habias corpus and the terroists in Gitmo are being treated better then him.

I’ll prolly go along with that, but given they have redefined what makes a marriage in California don’t be surpirsed to see some kook wanna a know why he can’t marry a gorilla, after all the he has a right to marry anyone or anything, and now that apes have human rights, how can ya argue he’s wrong? :mad:

Yes, but our canines are barely longer than our molars. Do they really help in the eating of meat? I am thinking they are vestigial from an earlier time in evolution, when meat eating was necessary. But by the time of modern man, when God decided to en-soul Adam, they shrank down to their present size.

Exactly and I am pretty sure most or at least some herbivores DO have canine teeth. A good example is a gorilla…and compared to the size of their heads a male silver back’s canines are HUGE! and they are herbivores. Our canines aren;t good for much more then tearing veggies and meat already off the animal.

bloodtoiltearsandsweat.blogspot.com/2008/06/spanish-parliament-to-extend-rights-to.html#links

Fascinating. I read through Genesis, and the first place where eating animals is strongly implied is Verse 8:20

Then Noah built an altar to the LORD, and took of every clean animal and of every clean bird, and offered burnt offerings on the altar.

I think generally burnt offerings were of plants and creatures that were useful, and in most cases food. Burnt offerings of vermin were not encouraged.

The first place animals as food is directly mentioned is Verse 9:3

Every moving thing that lives shall be food for you; and as I gave you the green plants, I give you everything.

http://www.boskak.za.net/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/kfc.gif

I think they are doing a good thing for a species that may be nearing extinction…

It has been man that has hunted them down and taken their land.

http://larvatusprodeo.net/wp-content/uploads/2006/04/zaius-gab.jpg

think they are doing a good thing for a species that may be nearing extinction…

???

I think someone’s a bit bored …

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.