Spanish word for Saturday?

In English, we say Saturday and Sunday… In Spanish, however, the word is sábado y domingo.

The word sábado means Saturday… domingo is Sunday.

My question is, my Spanish teacher said that they say sábado because they are religious, and she said it was the Sabbath day.

Why is that? Why isn’t Sunday, in Spanish, sábado?

EDIT: Also, the main religion is Christianity, (in Latin America) mainly Roman Catholic (she says), but there are also Protestants.

Domingo means the Lord’s Day. Saturday is still the sabath, but we as Christians are to keep the Lord’s Day, which is Sunday.

Saturday is traditionally called the ‘Sabbath’, while (under Christian influence) Sunday is the ‘Lord’s Day’ in a number of languages. Here are some of them:

Latin: sabbatum, (dies) dominica (‘Lord’s day’)
Spanish, Galician-Portuguese: sábado, domingo
French: samedi, dimanche
Italian: sabato, domenica
Catalan: dissabte (from dies Sabbati ‘Sabbath day’), diumenge
Romanian: sâmbătă, duminică
Biscayne Basque: zapatua, domeka
Irish Gaelic: An Domhnach (for Sunday)
Scottish Gaelic: Di-Dòmhnaich (for Sunday)
German: Samstag (for Saturday; from Sambaztag ‘Sabbath-day’)
Modern Greek: savvato (from Koine Greek sabbaton), kyriaki (from kyriakē (hēmera) ‘the Lord’s (Day)’)
Armenian: shabat, kiraki
Georgian: šabati, k’vira
Russian: subbota (for Saturday), voskresen’ye (‘Resurrection Day’)
Belarusian, Ukrainian, Serbian: subota (for Saturday)
Bulgarian: săbota (for Saturday)
Croatian: subota
Slovak, Czech, Slovene, Polish: sobota (for Saturday)
Hungarian: szombat (for Saturday)

It basically traces itself back to early Christian usage. Christians still called Saturday the ‘sabbath’ but Sunday is often called “the Lord’s (day),” kyriakē hēmera in Greek and dies dominica in Latin. It’s apparently a very early term - notice how in Revelation 1:10 John says that “I was in the spirit on the Lord’s Day.”

Originally, Saturday is the Jewish sabbath. Then, the Christians changed it to Sunday.

Scroll down on this link.

spanishdict.com/translate/sabbath

The Church did not change the Sabbath to Sunday. The Sabbath is Saturday. The Church changed the commemoration of the Lord’s Day from the Sabbath to the day of the Resurrection (Sunday).

I don’t know why it would. The English Saturday was named after the planet/god Saturnus.

Sunday (the first day supposedly) was named after the Sun. Monday was named after the moon, etc.

The word for Sabbath is a variation on the number seven in Hebrew. The Sabbath is the seventh day when God rested from creating the world. Many languages use a variation on Sabbath but it is correct because Saturday is the 7th day.

The Spanish etymology for Sábado (day of rest) is:

From the Hebrew: šabbat
Then to the Greek: sábbaton
Then to the Latin: sabbatum
And finally to Spanish: sábado.

Domingo in Spanish comes from the Latin “Dies Dominicus” (Day of the Lord).

It might help you to know that what we know as Spanish today is a direct derivate of Latin in the Iberian Peninsula. It also has various slangs (Castillian, Galician and Catalan).

all of the names for the spanish are of occult origen

lunes- moon day- monday- moon day

martes-mars day- tuesday- tyrs day

miercoles- mercury- wednesday woden’s day

jueves-jupiter’s day- thursday- thors day

viernes-venus day-friday- freya or friga day

sabado-saturn- saturday- saturn’s day

domingo- day of God- sunday- sun’s day

only one sunday has christian or at least mono theistic overtones

They’re not really ‘slangs’ - in a linguistic sense, they’re each separate languages which have a common origin (Latin). Castilian (i.e. Spanish) is of course one language, Galician (which is very close to Portuguese) is another, and Catalan (related to the Occitan languages spoken in southern France) is yet another. In addition, there’s also other local languages like Aragonese, Mirandese, or Extremaduran.

Well, I was raised in Castillian Spanish, as such all others are slangs :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:

We also learned that Portuguese and French is like Castillian, but with rocks in your mouth :smiley:

I am, of course, kidding… maybe… :slight_smile:

This is false. Just read about Saturday and Sunday above… And you probably meant all of the names of the week for Spanish… I highly doubt Jose has an occult meaning… along with other millions of Spanish names…

I grew up in the Philippines, and I can tell you that 400 years of being a Spanish colony did leave its mark on the local language(s). (Though we do have a weird knack for spelling de la as dela. :D) For the record, I personally don’t like French: they have a weird pronunciation of u. :smiley: Portuguese is more interesting, if only they could do something about writing stuff like São João and reading it very nasally like so(w) zhu-wo(w). At least Galician is easier on the eyes because it’s almost written like Spanish. :blush:

thats what I meant names of the week sorry thanks for correcting:thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.