Speaker Ryan says he would step down as Republican convention chair if Trump asks

Speaker Ryan says he would step down as Republican convention chair if Trump asks: report reut.rs/21OZ3cs

This is getting nastier, not nicer. Perhaps it is for the best. Now Chris Christie is getting into the mix out there for Trump (leading his “transition”). I honestly don’t know if this internal fight is good or bad for the party and Trump’s chances in November. It may help really Trump break the old GOP mold, re-position the party to the center. If he can do this and keep enough conservatives on board, it could work. (it is starting to feel a little like Bill Clinton shaking up the old Democratic party) But I also see the Bill Kristol types out there with their Romney 3rd party stint, which is so pathetic - this too could actually help Trump in sane people’s eyes. Who knows. Sometimes I think Trump just likes to keep fights going for the drama, press value. He is definitely moving to the center and that can’t hurt for the general. (assuming the party goes with him)

Then by all means, step down my friend! :thumbsup:

You can go hang out with the Bush’s, Romney’s, Lindsay Grahams and other Establishment malcontents while we rebuild your shattered party the way we see fit.

The American people have spoken. Deal with it or get out of the way…:cool:.

Ah yes the old Trump is not part of the ‘Establishment’ line again.

Trump reminds me very much of these lines of verse from Yeats:-

Hurrah for revolution and more cannon-shot!
A beggar upon horseback lashes a beggar on foot.
Hurrah for revolution and cannon come again!
The beggars have changed places, but the lash goes on.

Well, if the Establishment is bailing on him in a way never before seen in American politics, then my guess is he is not part of that Establishment…

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

I rend to distrust self-appointed messiahs…

Ohhhh, your talking about Hillary Clinton!

Now you make sense!:wink:

Turning and turning in the widening gyre
The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

The Second Coming - WB Yeats.

It’ll be fine. Clinton will win anyway. Trump is a Christie kind of guy. I suspect he would actually be better in office than she would. Hope it happens.

I am talking about politicians in general, both play that card quite a lot, as is common for politicians.

Trump has received about 9,000,000 votes as of the end of April. That is hardly a statement of, “the people have spoken” in a country with 330,000,000 people. In order to win the Presidency, Trump will need more than 60,000,000 votes – probably closer to 65,000,000 votes. That means as of the end of April, Trump had 1/7th of the number of votes he will need to win in the general election.

:rolleyes:

OK, sorry, the Republicans, in record numbers no less, have spoken, of which Ryan is a part - or not!

Here’s the door, here’s your hat, what’s your hurry Mr. Ryan?

Trump cannot win if he does not bring traditional conservatives into the fold. His dream of bringing in millions of Democrats is a total pipedream–it won’t happen.

He has only received 1/7th of the number of votes he will need to win the general and he has alienated millions in the process–many of those will vote for him anyway, yet many will not. He will need every vote he can get against Hillary.

So, he can continue to play the tough guy role, but if he wants to win, he needs people like Ryan on his side. There are many people who do like Ryan and he is building quite the list of traditional conservatives that refuse to support him–to him that is a badge of honor, but those traditional conservatives still hold a lot of respect in the eyes of millions. The game he played to win the GOP nomination will not, and cannot, work in the general.

I think Ryan wants to get as far away from this fiasco as he possibly can. Can’t blame him.

I don’t blame him either. I wouldn’t touch it either.

Good time to invent real life warp drive and fly off to the Andomeda Galaxy methinks.

Yes, this-exactly. trump needs to be persuading those that did not vote for him that they need to vote for him,(If he wants to beat Hillary, that is) and I’m sorry, he’s not doing that great of a job of it.
He’s already backing away from his tax plan and is flopping towards the center (or the left) on other issues.
He has 6 months to bring conservatives into the tent, if he truly wants unity.

He does not care about unity.

I am surprised (not sure why) that Trump is not trying harder to reach out to social and economic conservatives. It does seem a little counter-intuitive.

Maybe he thinks the social-conservative ship has sailed.

That could well be if the Ted Cruz / Marco Rubio results in the primaries are anything to go by, but the economic conservatives? This is what will kill Trump if he doesn’t throw them a bone or two. This is a sizable chunk of the party, not just Ryan, Romney, etc. Also I worry what will happen when the base Trumpsters see how far to the center Trump goes. (I just remembered; I saw something about tax breaks for the rich in Trump’s tax plan - that should help :wink: - helps the economy as Romney likes to point out - the top five percent work really hard and pay a lot of taxes…)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.