Speaking in Tongues in a Dream

A few times I have had dreams where I am speaking in Tongues. I am always in Eucharistic Adoration in these dreams, and they are filled with a lot of emotion. I usually wake up in the middle of these dreams and say a few lines before I realize what’s happening and then it stops. The most recent was this December I went on a retreat, I went to bed after spending some time in Eucharistic Adorations. I had a dream I was in it again, and I started speaking Tongues and the translation was being translated onto a big screen, I unfortunately am unable to recall what it said, but it was enough to wake me up. After these dreams there is a noticeably different aura to my personality due to the peace that follows them. Another time when I woke up, at least I believe I was awake, Jesus was standing in my room with His hand doing to Trinity sign. I didn’t see His face but I saw His hands, and He had on all white with a red stole. I get really shaky when I think about this experience. I maybe saw Him for 5 seconds then He was gone and I fell back asleep. Whenever I tell someone this they think I was still dreaming but I get this feeling that it wasn’t a dream because it just felt so real. I’ve spoke in Tongues in my dreams about 5 times. I guess I am just wondering if this has happened to anyone before, if I am crazy, or if you might think it could mean something?
Thanks guys, anything helps. Its just been one of those things that I can’t stop thinking about.
God Bless! :slight_smile:

I never really remember my dreams. One thing you could do is keep a pencil and paper beside your bed and if you wake up right away after such a dream you can take notes of certain details you’d likely forget later. Just remember not to give much credence to things seen in dreams.

Turns out (who knew, right?) this sort of thing is *really *common.

These are private revelations meant to have meaning only for us (and maybe some one God needs us to share them with).

I know many, many people personally (not on line) including myself, who have experienced this sort of thing.

It turns out that Gad is there talking to us, ready to be with us, wanting us to know that peace beyond understanding.

Yes it was a dream and yes it was real. God often speaks to us, shows us what we need to see in dreams.

As far as “tongues” goes; I find it to be a spiritual release: a letting go of all kinds of pent up stuff that doesn’t otherwise have a good egress. Prayers like the rosary serve this purpose very well too.

I am not inclined to be more detailed about what I have experienced, because

1. In no way do I want to imply any sort of glorification of myself. Lets get this straight, I am a sinner and very much in need of the redemption found in God and His Church
  2. No words could ever do it justice. The divine does not translate to the created.
    and 3. The Catholic Church is very clear: the time of public revelation has come and gone. We can rest easily at night knowing we do not, and in most cases should not share these things with anyone beyond someone like our confessor who might provide further insight for us.

I only know about so many people because I was provided comfort through some extraordinary circumstances.

Cool for you though and please do never let go of or doubt those feelings God graced you with.

Praying that the Lord may grant you guidance in this matter and all necessary graces.

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee. Blessed art thou amongst women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death. Amen

I had a dream one night that an old neighbor of mine, whom I have not seen in years, was weeping in my arms and I was praying in tongues over her. I took it to mean that God was telling me she really needed my prayers.

I tend to believe unusual dreams like this and like yours. I would treasure your experiences.

Godd suggestion.:thumbsup:
You can also keep a daily journal of things that have happened and thoughts and reflections of the day.

Our Father who art in Heaven, hallowed be thy name.

Thy kingdom come, thy will be done on Earth as it is in Heaven.

Give us this day our daily bread.

And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us.

And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.

Amen.

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee.

Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb Jesus.

Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death.

Amen.

I grew up in a very small church that strongly believed and preached the teaching that is in the book of Acts chapter 2. I believe the Lord Jesus Christ is with you…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.