Speaking of end times - What is THE Catholic eschatology?

Is there an official Catholic Eschatology? Amillennialism? Postmillennialism? Or is it left open?

Mel

Christ comes every Sunday in Eucharist. When He will end this age for another we pretty much leave up to Him.

CDL

[quote=GregoryPalamas]Christ comes every Sunday in Eucharist. When He will end this age for another we pretty much leave up to Him.

CDL
[/quote]

I didn’t ask when. I asked how? I am asking about the eschaton not the Eucharist. No offense. :slight_smile:

Mel

[quote=Melchior]Is there an official Catholic Eschatology? Amillennialism? Postmillennialism? Or is it left open?

Mel
[/quote]

Here’s a quote from a Catholic Answers article (catholic.com/library/Rapture.asp) on this subject:

As far as the millennium goes, we tend to agree with Augustine and, derivatively, with the amillennialists. The Catholic position has thus historically been “amillennial” (as has been the majority Christian position in general, including that of the Protestant Reformers), though Catholics do not typically use this term. The Church has rejected the premillennial position, sometimes called “millenarianism” (see the Catechism of the Catholic Church 676). In the 1940s the Holy Office judged that premillennialism “cannot safely be taught,” though the Church has not dogmatically defined this issue.

With respect to the rapture, Catholics certainly believe that the event of our gathering together to be with Christ will take place, though they do not generally use the word “rapture” to refer to this event (somewhat ironically, since the term “rapture” is derived from the text of the Latin Vulgate of 1 Thess. 4:17—“we will be caught up,” [Latin: rapiemur]).

I get from this that the Church hasn’t dogmatically defined it, but it still isn’t quite up for grabs.

I had a Southern Baptist pastor once who called himself a panmillenialist, saying, “I think it will all pan out in the end.”

Hi Mel,

The teaching of the Catholic Church is to be found in the Catechism of the Catholic Church. Click here to find end times.

Verbum

If you want to buy a book about Catholic eschatology I recommend:
ewtn.com/vcatalogue/pages/itemdetail.asp?itemcode=2732&source=searchresult.asp&keyword=Trial&g_than=1&l_than=2000&pgnu=1&category=all&eventcode=

Or you can listen to the series based on the book at:
ewtn.com/vondemand/audio/seriessearchprog.asp?seriesID=7043&T1=last+things

Also Scott Hann did a great bible study on this called "The End"
I got it in cd format for when driveing.I highly recommend it.now if i could just get my evangelical fiends to listen. :banghead:

Thanks all.

Mel

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.