Speaking or praying in tongues

HI,

Can some of the Charismatics please give me some Catholic links that explain the difference in speaking in tongues as opposed to praying in tongues and is there any history in the Church of anyone praying in tongues? This is not a debate thread. I am not interested in anyone’s problems with the CCR or their personal views on the gift of tongues. I believe in the gift and I just want some further clarification and information on the questions I have asked. If you wish to debate this topic then start your own thread. I don’t want this thread derailed by people’s personal opinions.

God Bless,

Hello Kyria,You can try this link: www.renewalministries.net. You can also go to the Rockford(IL.)Diocese web site.Peace.:slight_smile:

This will also be a good resource for you, it is the Catholic Charismatic Forum on the Web
catholiccharismatic.us/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewforum&f=2&sid=871bcde91c2b31a071c97489012548ee

kyria,
Your question was a bit confusing. :slight_smile:
If a person is speaking in tongues, he is praying. At least that is where your prayers should be directed to. To the Lord.
That is what I’m doing, in private. :slight_smile:

God bless you,
jean8

the major type of tongues is praying in tongues for personal prayer. it is generally a strange sounding language that could possibly be angelic or just your own type of tongues that the Holy Spirit gives you. it is, as the Bible says, for strengthening of the inner man and is useful. it does not replace Hail Mary’s and other prayers including just talking to God, but should be combined with them. Prayer should be our lifelong study, for “we know not how to pray, but the Holy Spirit helps us in our weakness…”

There is a type of tongues spoken in public where an interpreter is needed but this happens rarely and is not nearly as important. Hope this helps. God Bless!!! :slight_smile:

I found this thread while doing a search for tongues.
I have a family member who has been attending an assemblies of God church and it seems they are obsessed with speaking in tongues.
They go so far as to say that speaking in tongues is the “proof” that you have received or been baptized in the Spirit.
And if you don’t speak in tongues then you have not received the Holy Spirit.
Also, they have people who stand up in the middle of a church service and speak in tongues, then someone else stands up and “interprets” what the first person supposedly said “in the Spirit”.
It all seems a bit contrived to me.
So, I’m looking for resources to either prove what they are saying is true or prove that it is false.
Any help would be great.
Thank you and God bless.

[quote="kyria, post:1, topic:122613"]
HI,

Can some of the Charismatics please give me some Catholic links that explain the difference in speaking in tongues as opposed to praying in tongues and is there any history in the Church of anyone praying in tongues? This is not a debate thread. I am not interested in anyone's problems with the CCR or their personal views on the gift of tongues. I believe in the gift and I just want some further clarification and information on the questions I have asked. If you wish to debate this topic then start your own thread. I don't want this thread derailed by people's personal opinions.

God Bless,

[/quote]

Pretty rude opening post!!

I couldn’f find any direct reference to “tongues” in the Cateshism. However I did find a number of articles related to “catholic tongues” on the net. For ease of use I looked upt the Wikipedia article and cut and pasted the following, in relatio to the church’s official support of otherwise on the Charismatic Renewal, which intrinsically includes “speaking or praying in tongues”. In this usage of course “speaking” is “praying”, which is no different from “speaking” the “Our Father” or “Lord’s Prayer” in good old English or whatever our local lingo is. We’re speaking and praying then as well. No difference.

From Wikipedia -

*"Reaction from the Church hierarchy (to Catholic Charismatic Renewal)

Pope John Paul II

The initial reaction to the movement by the Church hierarchy was cautiously supportive. Some initially supported it as being a harbinger of ecumenism (greater unity of Gospel witness among the different Christian traditions). It was thought that these practices would draw the Catholic Church and Protestant communities closer together in a truly spiritual ecumenism. Today, the Catholic Charismatic Renewal enjoys the strong support of the hierarchy, from the Pope to bishops of dioceses around the world, as an officially recognized ecclesial movement.[10]

Three popes have acknowledged the movement: Pope Paul VI , Pope John Paul II and Benedict XVI. Pope John Paul II stated that the movement was integral to the renewal of the entire Catholic Church. Pope John Paul II (as well as then Cardinal Ratzinger, now Pope Benedict XVI) acknowledged good aspects of the movement while urging caution, pointing out members must maintain their link to the Catholic Church.[11]

Pope John Paul II, in particular, made a number of statements on the movement. On November 30, 1990, The Pontifical Council for the Laity promulgated the decree which inaugurated the Catholic Fraternity of Covenant Communities and Fellowships. Brian Smith of Brisbane, elected President of the Executive of the Fraternity, called the declaration the most significant event in the history of the charismatic renewal since the 1975 Holy Year international conference and the acknowledgment it received from Pope Paul VI at that time, saying ‘It is the first time that the Renewal has had formal, canonical recognition by the Vatican.’ [12]

In March 1992, Pope John Paul II stated

At this moment in the Church's history, the Charismatic Renewal can play a significant role in promoting the much-needed defense of Christian life in societies where secularism and materialism have weakened many people's ability to respond to the Spirit and to discern God's loving call. Your contribution to the re-evangelization of society will be made in the first place by personal witness to the indwelling Spirit and by showing forth His presence through works of holiness and solidarity.[13]

Moreover, during Pentecost 1998, the Pope recognized the essential nature of the charismatic dimension:

“The institutional and charismatic aspects are co-essential as it were to the Church’s constitution. They contribute, although differently, to the life, renewal and sanctification of God’s People. It is from this providential rediscovery of the Church’s charismatic dimension that, before and after the Council, a remarkable pattern of growth has been established for ecclesial movements and new communities.”[14]

The Papal Preacher, Rev. Fr. Raniero Cantalamessa, has written on the topic numerous times since 1986.[15]

Pope Benedict XVI affirmed the Charismatic Renewal during 2008."*

As a footnote to the above, I had a bit of an interesting aside to this phrase on Sunday - "Brian Smith of Brisbane, elected President of the Executive of the Fraternity". "After attending a charismatic mass, I got to discussing the issue of my father turning up the night he died, as I've often stated on this forum in various posts. I'm basically said I really wanted to know if it was "true" or not, particularly in view of some of the dire predictions he made.

One of the chaps I spoke to said Brian Smith, the man mentioned above had died, which I knew from other sources, although I had never met him. As published in the local Catholic Leader on 6 April 2003, "*THE Church is mourning the death of Brian Smith, a leading figure in the Catholic Charismatic Renewal (CCR) nationally and internationally.

About 500 people gathered at St Paschal's Church, Wavell Heights for his funeral Mass on March 25."*

And Mr. Smith and his family were no strangers to grief as the following testimony also shows - from emmanuelcommunity.com.au/Pages/PastEvent.aspx

"Perhaps the greatest test of trust was to come on February 1st, 1988. We had just celebrated Eucharist at our community office when we received word that there was an urgent phone call for Brian Smith. As he emerged from his office, no one could have anticipated his words- "My daughter Teresa has passed away." The next twenty four hours would reveal the truth of Teresa's brutal rape and murder. The question on everyone's lips was how could God allow this to happen. Like many other people in the community, I had known Teresa since she was a little girl. She was a real character full of fun, life and faith. That evening, as Brian and Lorraine Smith were interviewed on national television, they spoke of their forgiveness for Teresa's murderer."

However the thing that interested me is that the chap I was speaking to on Sunday said Mr. Smith had also had an apparition of his father visit him. I have no idea what was said or anything else about it, but it would seem that the Brian Smith mentioned in the Wikipedia article on the Charismatic Renewal also had some experience of a "fatherly" visit after his own father's death.

So I'm not the only one. I suppose if the chap I spoke to reads this he might be a bit annoyed at making our conversation public, but I thought it was a bit of a "coincidence" just the same.

It may seem rude but I understand why she made those statements. Quite often a person will start a thread with the intent of gathering information from a variety of sources they don’t have knowledge of, only to have the thread quickly devolve into some sort of debate or worse. I too am investigating the phenom of tongues as shown in the Bible and what the Church teaches on the subject.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.