Special Cloth?

I can't remember where I read this but I heard that at ordination, a soon-to-be priest has his hands wrapped in a cloth and then after ordination, the cloth is given to the mother. Apparently the cloth is wrapped around her hands after she dies. Is this true? :shrug: If it is, what is the cloth called?

It’s called a binding cloth.

I found more information on it here.

[quote="YoungCatholic86, post:1, topic:283862"]
I can't remember where I read this but I heard that at ordination, a soon-to-be priest has his hands wrapped in a cloth and then after ordination, the cloth is given to the mother. Apparently the cloth is wrapped around her hands after she dies. Is this true? :shrug: If it is, what is the cloth called?

[/quote]

Wow. What a beautiful tradition.

I finally got the link to work! What a struggle.

Awwwwwwwww… :’) That’s so sweet.

What if the priest’s mother has passed on before his ordination? No free pass into heaven
then?

Sorry for the flippant remark, but it seems highly superstitious to me to imagine that anyone will get into heaven based simply on who their relations are :shrug:

A binding cloth is only a sacramental and not a passport to heaven. We attain our Heavenly destination by faith, hope and love, as St Paul said and as Jesus so often repeated. As He indicated to the rich man: obey the commandments, love your neighbour and do good works.

God bless.

Ehhh. If anyone really believes that they are going to get into heaven based on who they know, there would be a lot more people trying to get a papal audience.

I think this is one of the “little t” traditions that is really cool. It’s nice to think that a priest would have something that he could give his mother as a priestly tradition at her passing.

I think that it is a better chance that a Catholic woman with the prayer and spiritual fortitude to raise a son to be a priest would have no problem making it to heaven.

This is one of those things that you have to look at with an understanding heart. It’s a loving gesture.

Remember, God only gave out one free pass to heaven and it was pretty expensive on His end.

Thank you for the link! :thumbsup:

I hope, if I get ordained someday, that I will get to use the binding cloth though in the Ordinary Form. I think my mother would really appreciate it. :slight_smile:

This sounds very sweet.

How old is this?

The cloth is called a Maniturgium, attached is a short explanation of the gift and its reasons along with an explanation of giving the first confessional stole to the father:

Gift of the Maniturgium and 1st confessional stole
On the occasion of their first Mass, it is traditional that the newly ordained priest presents a gift to his parents.
To his mother he gives the Maniturgium , which was used to cleanse his hands; consecrated and made holy when the bishop anointed them with sacred chrism at his ordination. The Maniturgium is a simple white piece of linen that represents the burial shroud of Christ that protected His sacred body during His 3 days in the tomb. The Maniturgium is given to the mother, because she was the first protector of the newly ordained priest, during his time in her womb. The Maniturgium is a reminder to the people of God of His love and protection – especially towards His priests. When the newly ordained priest’s mother is called home to God, she is buried holding the Maniturgium so that all in Heaven and on Earth will know that she is the mother of a priest. And on the last day when we are raised from the dead, she can present the Maniturgium to Christ the Lord and say, “my son too shared in your priesthood.”
To his father, the priest presents his first confessional stole. The stole is the sign of priestly office, and the priest wears it when he engages in holy things, like celebrating the Holy Eucharist and the Sacrament of Penance. In the Sacrament of Penance, we experience God’s justice, mercy and reconciling Love. It was the father of the newly ordained priest who first taught him about justice and mercy. And so the purple stole used to hear confessions, where the priest reconciles the faithful into God’s love, is presented to the priest’s father. And like the mother of the newly ordained, when the priest’s father dies, he is buried holding the purple stole so that all in Heaven and on Earth will know that he was the father of a priest. And on the last day when we are raised from the dead, he can present the purple stole to Christ the Lord and say, “my son too shared in your priesthood.”

What if the mother is protestant?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.