Special date ideas that are free or super cheap

We are married w/out children. So you’d think we’d be living it up right now…wrong. :o Due to my medical issues we are on a super tight budget with little or no room for play. We are needing good date ideas that are free or super cheap. We’re stuck in an “at home date” rut. It seems like we do the same old same old every weekend. Rent a movie or play games. Which don’t get me wrong I enjoy time with hubby, just looking for something different to do that doesn’t require much money. Oh and I don’t always have a lot of energy and strength so bonus points for low key ideas. Thanks. :thumbsup:

walking or whatever exercise or sport you are able to do in your condition

doing something you have to do anyway, like your daily walk, grooming the dog, washing the car, grocery shopping, going to the laundromat etc, but doing it together can make a date, even if you just sit in the deli section sharing some wings and a drink

check out free stuff for families at local museums and other venues, because the free dates are for couples as well as kids. many have aids if there are mobility issues for you.

take a class or fun course together–not just academic but bird identification, ceramics, anything that could become a hobby for 2. birding even w/o a class is fun, and all you need is one pair of binocs which can be had cheap on e-bay, or even borrowed at a nature center, and just sit and wait and watch in one spot.

take a bible study or other class at church and if they don’t have a social afterward start your own. Our parish has become a cheap date destination for young marrieds because there is a lot of meetings, mini-retreats, service events, socials, rosary-makers, and various things going on every night of the week.

Singing karaoke on the computer! :D Ultra Star is a free open source (and open-ended) program that we LOVE! Never fails to lift our moods and relieve our stress. And the competition is fun too (you sing together with the music and the person who sings on pitch most of the time wins). You can add whatever songs you like, so you can sing your favorite songs together.

Try cooking together as an activity. I really enjoy when my wife and I cook together, and we can enjoy a nice meal together with a bottle of wine.

See if any local community centers have cheap activities such as dance classes for couples: Latin, Tango, Lindyhop, Swing. Or maybe car repair or something else that could save you money.

Find local places to go hiking. Swimming is also cheap - I hope your medical condition allows you to exercise.

Take a picnic and meet some friends at a great location.

See if there are any music venues locally such as an Irish pub, where you can enjoy a beer and listen to live music. Many places have free outdoor concerts in the summer but maybe this is the wrong time of year.

Same for “Quiz nights” at the local parish or other venues.

Play cards with another married couple or have a “games night” playing cards with a few couples and have a potluck.

See if any local movie theaters have a cheap deal one night a week or for matinees.

Okay, little clarification.

My DH isn't catholic. So the parish ideas aren't going to work. I'm lucky to get him there on Sundays. :D

We're both very type B and don't really enjoy get togethers much. :o

But there are some really great ideas on here. Especially the outdoors fun. I can't wait to feel a little better so I can try them out. :thumbsup: We used to do more of that before I got sick, and that did take the monotony out of things. :)

Does anyone have any more INDOOR stay at home type ideas? That's about my speed right now. :o

Go for a drive! Explore! You have a turn to say whether the car goes left, right, or straight, and then hubby does. And you just continue taking turns until you find a place you’ve never been before. :slight_smile: I love a change of scenery when I’ve been stuck in the house for a while.

Get a music CD you’ve never listened to before from the library and come home and do a jigsaw puzzle together. Actually, get several “new-to-you” CDs from the library and take some with you on the exploration drive idea above, too! :thumbsup:

Fly a kite, weather permitting. :smiley:

[quote="mkipp, post:4, topic:183064"]
Try cooking together as an activity. I really enjoy when my wife and I cook together, and we can enjoy a nice meal together with a bottle of wine.

[/quote]

Take it a step further.

Pick a country or region.

Go to the library, get a cookbook of that region. Get some music from that place. Read about their history, culture. Rent a movie from there.

For instance, pick Japan. Get a japanese cookbook and make a nice stir fry. Get a small bottle of saki. Watch "The Last Samuri".

Like taking a vacation right in your living room.

[quote="CatholicSam, post:7, topic:183064"]
Go for a drive! Explore! You have a turn to say whether the car goes left, right, or straight, and then hubby does. And you just continue taking turns until you find a place you've never been before. :) I love a change of scenery when I've been stuck in the house for a while.

Get a music CD you've never listened to before from the library and come home and do a jigsaw puzzle together. Actually, get several "new-to-you" CDs from the library and take some with you on the exploration drive idea above, too! :thumbsup:

Fly a kite, weather permitting. :D

[/quote]

Oh yes! We do this too. It's so much fun. We can't afford the gas right now. But I love taking drives and winding up in some small town I've never been to and eating a snack at THEIR McDonalds or whatever just because you're in a new place. :D

We also love going to Big Lots. We go most every weekend and check out their DVD selections. (We also do other shopping there.;)) They have a lot of movies for 3 dollars. It's cheaper than renting and then you own the movie. They have a lot of trash too :( and we only find one we actually like once a month or so, but it's worth it. :thumbsup:

Oh my I don't think I could get my DH to do a puzzle. I do them from time to time and he says he goes crazy just looking at them. BUT we do both enjoy board games and someone's always giving us a new one to enjoy at Christmas. We also both love video games. So that makes up most of our weekends right now. Pathetic, huh? :o

[FONT=“Palatino Linotype”][size=]

Hmmmm. How about learning a game, card game or board game that you do’nt know and playing against each other? I just recently learned FINALLY how to play chess and it’s a great great two person activity and keeps your brain working too. There are a ton of card games I’d love to learn too. but something competitive can really make things interesting between two people;)

OR how about a home craft or home improvement project? Painting something, refinishing something, making something out of wood.

Alos don’t forget that in any physical or mental condition it is SO IMPORTANT for your health to get out of the house once in awhile, even to do something mundane. Do you guys have an indoor…museum, arboretum, etc. that you could go to? So many of those public places have free days too.[/size][/FONT]

Yes, we love board games! We’re very competitive, but so far still talk to each other afterwords. :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:

We live in an apt. so home improvements are out. Plus we don’t have money for that. :o

I’m not walking much right now, still recovering from a broken ankle. So that’s why we can’t go the museum or the zoo or long walks at the park or things anymore. We have a wheelchair, but I’m supposed to be USING my ankle. So I can’t cheat anymore. Darn! Cheating is so much easier…and more fun! :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:

I totally know about getting out. It’s a must for my condition. If I don’t get out enough, I could possibly be mentally unable to get out of my house again. Yeah, scary, huh? :eek:

[quote="that_name, post:8, topic:183064"]
Take it a step further.

Pick a country or region.

Go to the library, get a cookbook of that region. Get some music from that place. Read about their history, culture. Rent a movie from there.

For instance, pick Japan. Get a japanese cookbook and make a nice stir fry. Get a small bottle of saki. Watch "The Last Samuri".

Like taking a vacation right in your living room.

[/quote]

I **love **this idea! I'm stealing it, OK? :D I think my hubby will love this too.

[quote="prolifewife, post:11, topic:183064"]
I'm not walking much right now, still recovering from a broken ankle. So that's why we can't go the museum or the zoo or long walks at the park or things anymore. We have a wheelchair, but I'm supposed to be USING my ankle. So I can't cheat anymore. Darn! Cheating is so much easier...and more fun! :p :D

I totally know about getting out. It's a must for my condition. If I don't get out enough, I could possibly be mentally unable to get out of my house again. Yeah, scary, huh? :eek:

[/quote]

That wouldn't be cheating! I'm an orthopedic nurse, you know! ;) If you were sitting home watching a movie on the couch or sitting in the wheelchair doing the rounds at the museum.... same effect on your ankle. So don't be too harsh on yourself with your PT! Go ahead and sit in that wheelchair at the museum. Just make sure you do your exercises as usual when you get back home. :)

[quote="prolifewife, post:11, topic:183064"]
Yes, we love board games! We're very competitive, but so far still talk to each other afterwords. :p :D

We live in an apt. so home improvements are out. Plus we don't have money for that. :o

I'm not walking much right now, still recovering from a broken ankle. So that's why we can't go the museum or the zoo or long walks at the park or things anymore. We have a wheelchair, but I'm supposed to be USING my ankle. So I can't cheat anymore. Darn! Cheating is so much easier...and more fun! :p :D

I totally know about getting out. It's a must for my condition. If I don't get out enough, I could possibly be mentally unable to get out of my house again. Yeah, scary, huh? :eek:

[/quote]

OH I didn't realize it was that kind of injury....sorry. Well yeah that kinda limits you. Hmmmmm I will have to think harder!

Go to the airport and people-watch. :)

[quote="CatholicSam, post:12, topic:183064"]
That wouldn't be cheating! I'm an orthopedic nurse, you know! ;) If you were sitting home watching a movie on the couch or sitting in the wheelchair doing the rounds at the museum.... same effect on your ankle. So don't be too harsh on yourself with your PT! Go ahead and sit in that wheelchair at the museum. Just make sure you do your exercises as usual when you get back home. :)

[/quote]

Oooh! Can I take you to my next appointment? :D You're as tough as she is. I don't know who'd win. :p

I'll run it by DH and see what he thinks. He's probably desperate enough to go somewhere different he just might give in. :D

[quote="CatholicSam, post:14, topic:183064"]
Go to the airport and people-watch. :)

[/quote]

Ha ha. We do this all the time. Well not at the airport but other places. We are a crazy pair sometimes. I could see us sitting on rocking chairs in our old age watching the cars go by. :D

No worries. I am SOOOOO much better now. I can’t thank God enough. :love: Even if I can never walk miles again, which is up in the air at this point, I’m so thankful that I can walk at all. Which is a far cry from where I was three months ago. :smiley:

You all are awesome for helping me brainstorm. I have to sign off now. If you think of anything else I'll be anxious to read it.

Our 4th anniversary is just a month away. So we're looking for something special for then too. :D

TTFN! :wave:

Prolifewife,

We’re in a similar situation, being young and married and on a tight budget. We’ve also never been big socialites, and spend a lot of time at home. There’s nothing wrong with that, as long as it’s quality time!

Here’s a few things we like to do…:

• Rent from Redbox ($1!) or DVR movies we want to watch together.
  • Have a nice dinner at home where DH hangs out in the kitchen/dining room while I cook and we just talk and reconnect, then have dinner with a bottle of wine.
  • Do ‘normal’ everyday errands together: grocery shopping, going to the bank, picking up things at Target. We have a sometimes ridiculous sense of humor and tease each other without end…we’ve had women stop and stare at us in the cereal aisle as we vigorously debate the best cereal and try to sort through my coupons. It’s so much more fun to go grocery shopping with a friend!
  • Wander through a bookstore or used bookstore together, looking for treasures and interesting finds. We’ve learned a lot about each other’s interests and pasts in doing this.
  • We have lots of free museums in our town, so we like to go to the history or art museum when we get the chance.
  • Going to breakfast or coffee together is a great cheap date where someone else has to take care of you. Typically breakfast ‘entrees’ are cheaper than dinner entrees, in my experience, and there is something special about a weekend morning. We also each have our own breakfast “specialty” we like to prepare for the other–he makes great chocolate chip pancakes and I make a yummy ham, egg and white cheddar breakfast sandwich.
  • Attend a lecture. Our parish has been sponsoring a series to learn about the history of the Church, and I’m sure a local college or other venue hosts lectures that would be in your interests.
  • Go to an arcade. Not free, but can be cheap if you budget yourselves and spend your money wisely. DH and I love air hockey!

Also, there are a lot of great sites with coupons and other local deals, and your area’s Entertainment Book probably has good coupons in there (ours has buy one get one free theater tickets for a number of local venues, from the professional off-Broadway places to the local universities). We rarely go out to eat unless we have a gift card or excellent coupon, and thanks to these sites we’ve been able to find a few places for special meals out at half the normal cost.

What about historic sites? :)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.