Special Intentions in LotH

Is there a place designated when one can pray a special intention during the Liturgy of the Hours?

I’m not sure, but I’m interseting in finding an answer as well, so I’m posting to follow the thread

In morning prayer: after the last listed intention. In evening prayer: after the second-to-last listed intention (the last one in the evening is for the dead, and it should remain last).

Citations to support this to be posted in a sec.

General Instruction of the Liturgy of the Hours

*186. In the intercessions at evening prayer the last intention is always for the dead.

…]

1. It is permissible, however, to include particular intentions at both morning prayer and evening prayer.*

I always add them during the intercessions.

From the General Instruction for the Liturgy of the Hours:

1. Since the liturgy of the hours is above all the prayer of the whole Church for the whole Church, indeed for the salvation of the whole world, [16] universal intentions should take precedence over all others, namely, for: the Church and its ministers; secular authorities; the poor, the sick, and the sorrowful; the needs of the whole world, that is, peace and other intentions of this kind.

188. It is permissible, however, to include particular intentions at both morning prayer and evening prayer.

Thanks all! :thumbsup:

I figured while I stumbled across this subject, I may as well ask a relevant question:

When we say these personal intentions, what do we do after each one? Do we then say “We pray to the Lord”? And then say the intention response? For some reason or other, that’s the way I do it when I add in my own intentions. However, I have never known for sure the correct way to do it.

I pray intentions after the petitions and before the Our Father, same as Mass. I just pour out my heart for a few moments in no special way.

I’m not sure if it is official or not, but that’s what I do.

-Tim-

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.