Specter: Owens treated unfairly

MSN reported that Sen. Arlen Specter has accused the NFL and the Philadelphia Eagles of “vindictive and inappropriate” treatment of Terrell Owens, and might refer the matter to the antitrust subcommittee of the Senate Judiciary Committee.

For the full story go to: msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5119324

I am so happy that this is what our elected officials have to worry about. Not! :mad:

But Specter said, “I do not believe, personally, that it is appropriate to punish him (by forcing him to sit out the rest of the season). He’s not committed a crime, he’s committed a breach of contract. And what they’re doing against him is vindictive.”

:hmmm: He’s committed a breach of contract, but they shouldn’t be allowed to punish him?

I agree with you Lance. I can’t understand why our Legislature ever gets involved in sports, including the steroid issue.

Robert

Since I lived in the Philadephia area for seven years, I know Specter is an avid Eagles Fan. The avid fan think that they own the team and owners should not have any say in running the team.

Since Spector has some power being a senator, that makes him especially dangerous since he may be able to do something about it.

I hope the other Senators see the folly of this and reject his request.

PF (Who is an Eagles anti-fan:p )

[quote=rlg94086]:hmmm: He’s committed a breach of contract, but they shouldn’t be allowed to punish him?

I agree with you Lance. I can’t understand why our Legislature ever gets involved in sports, including the steroid issue.

Robert
[/quote]

Now, you have to commit a crime in order to be temporarily out of work? Specter’s going of the deep end.

[quote=WanderAimlessly]Since I lived in the Philadephia area for seven years, I know Specter is an avid Eagles Fan. The avid fan think that they own the team and owners should not have any say in running the team.

Since Spector has some power being a senator, that makes him especially dangerous since he may be able to do something about it.

I hope the other Senators see the folly of this and reject his request.

PF (Who is an Eagles anti-fan:p )
[/quote]

Has Sen. Spector nothing better to do?

As a Cowboy fan, I detest the Eagles - and am taking delight in their plight. However - I applaud them for hoe they handled Owens. He is a cancer in the locker room.

This is slightly off-topic, but Adonis, have the Saints been adopted by many in SA? Or are most still Cowboy or Texan fans?

[quote=Digitonomy]This is slightly off-topic, but Adonis, have the Saints been adopted by many in SA? Or are most still Cowboy or Texan fans?
[/quote]

I think everybody has come to the realization that Tagliabue will never allow the Saints to call SA home, even though the two games played here thus far have been in front of a packed Alamodome.

Many of us have been life long Cowboy fans, and will probably remain so. I do not see many Texan fans here - although I would say this city was once pretty evenly split between Cowboy and Oiler fans.

I also can’t stand the Eagles. I’m a Giants fan.

The Eagles are being extremely vindictive here. They say they’re done with Owens, don’t want him back, but taking offense that another team might be interested?

[quote=gnjsdad]I also can’t stand the Eagles. I’m a Giants fan.

The Eagles are being extremely vindictive here. They say they’re done with Owens, don’t want him back, but taking offense that another team might be interested?
[/quote]

I think they are making a good move. They (Eagles) do not want him playing for another team and come back to haunt them.

The Eagles owe him nothing. He is still getting payed, and in all likelyhood, will find some other sucker team to sign him next year.

Looks like Specter is having second thoughts:
Specter backs off threat to investigate Terrell Owens’ treatment
PF

I feel like the Senator should be interested in balancing the budget, running the various comittees that he chairs and trying to manage the effort in Iraq. I agree with a previous poster, he has way too much to do instead of worrying about a very overpaid athlete.

:hmmm: I wonder if a trade…say Sen Specter for…Sen Liberman,

would be in order :smiley:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.