Speedy Masses?!?

Is your parish plagued with “speedy Masses?” It’ crazy in my parish! They unlock/open/leave key in tabernacle before Mass to “speed things up.” There are far too many EMsHC and they act hyperactive and nervous – as if they are in a hurry. I have had lectors run into the back of me in procession because they were so intent on getting their job done.

All the prayers are said at hyperactive speeds – to the point where it sometimes turns off the celebrants – particularly if they are visiting. After Mass a group immediately DESCENDS on the sanctuary to clean everything up. Almost like watching a movie being made where they yell “CUT” and all the helpers descend on the set.

The purification of the vessels looks like some sort of speed contest (yes I am aware that non-instituted laypersons shouldn’t be doing it on their own.) The washing of the sacred vessels isn’t any better – they get the heck banged out of them because people are in such an almighty hurry!

We have at least an hour between each Sunday Mass. The people who push the Mass to go so fast have no place to go other than to a restaurant for breakfast. What’s this all about? Does it happen in your parish?

Doesn’t happen at my Parish. The morning Masses are what I would call “normal speed”, and that was even before they changed Mass times. The Mass I play drums for is at 6pm on Sunday, so there’s zero rush there as it is the last Mass for the weekend (sometimes it’ll even go longer than usual depending on the homily).

Could it have anything to do with the theater-style environment created by your multimedia projection system? :wink:

The Masses at my parish are very reverent and calm. :slight_smile:

one of my bishops worked on a cruise ship. they only gave him 45 mins to celebrate mass. then it was dinner time.

Our Mass is very well paced. If you want to call it that.

The key is in the Tabernacle, prior to Mass starting, only because of the logistics involved, but the Tabernacle isn’t opened until the appropriate time.

My only problem is with the little old ladies that sit behind me sometimes.

During the Creed, I barely have, “We believe” out of my mouth, and they’re saying “Amen” already. (too bad they can’t drive that fast :p) They do the same thing with the “Our Father.” It almost makes me giggle sometimes.

The only time I’ve ever seen people speeding through a part of the Mass is when they’re really nervous–new readers do this all the time. They get better with practice.:slight_smile: I’ve seen new altar servers rush to do things (like get the towel for the priest’s hands) for the same reason.

The mass at our parish is not speedy. Well paced. But, not to long ago I attended a Mass in the vernacular which was only 40 minutes at the most. There was one hymn. The Procession was the first part of “Holy God, we Praise thy Name” and the Recessional was the second part of “Holy God, we Praise thy Name” (or in the case of the CBWIII, ‘Holy God, we praise your Name’.). The Priest preached for 5 minutes.

nope not in my parish, the homily usually is like 20-25 mins in and of themselves. we have too many EMHCs but they are respectful

That’s horrible – but it’s done at most of the Masses at my parish. With the key left in the tabernacle it’s no longer secure. Being secure is a requirement of the tabernacle.

Even worse perhaps is the terrible signal it sends to those who notice the key. Sacrifice security for God in exchange for expediency. Sad. I had hoped it was only at my parish.

So what’s the issue? Are you suggesting profanity in valid but 20 minute Masses? Do you feel you’re being short-changed in receiving graces? Do you feel your communion is tarnished? Or does your disposition change so that you’re not worthy to receive at all? Seems to me you’d be better off spending your time in front of the Blessed Sacrament than keep dwelling about the perceived hastiness of the Mass you attend.

After a very solemn Mass that lasted about 75 minutes (where we told everyone NOT to rush) I saw an older lady castigate my pastor. She made it clear that Masses “had” to be over within an hour! I wanted so badly to ask her where she came up with that malarkey?!?! But she was upset enough that I didn’t want to stir the pot. Her anger and certitude were disconcerting.

Did you bother to read the postings?

The signal sent when the Mass is obviously rushed is one of irreverence.

I’m also very curious where this garbage originates from.

I’m not aware of any such law. I tend to prefer longer Masses, myself. :slight_smile:

75 minutes for a Sunday Mass isn’t actually all that outrageous, unless it’s a really small congregation. That’s just over an hour. Most people can sit through a 90 minute movie, so a Mass that’s less than 90 minutes should be fine.

Like typing, reading, slicing things in the kitchen, and other routine things, Mass, which has a set way of doing things, can be easy to speed up without realizing it. The people may not be trying to be irreverent- it just may have happened without them realizing it. Maybe a polite comment to the pastor would be enough for him to ask people to slow down and think about what they are doing.

I think you might be taking this to a bit of an extreme.

The key is not left in the Tabernacle at all times. It is merely put there prior to the start of the Mass, due to the logistics of where the key is reserved. (which is in a locked safe)

I had a priest tell me that the key to the Tabernacle had to be secured behind 3 separate locks. Ours is the Church door, the door to the safe room, and the safe itself.

It really isn’t appropriate to have the key locked up in the safe until the Liturgy of the Eucharist begins, then to have someone leave the Sanctuary to go get the key.

Having the key in the Tabernacle at the beginning of Mass is not putting the Lord in jeopardy in any way.

We have this from USCCB.org

Ibid., c. 938 § 3: “The tabernacle in which the Most Holy Eucharist is reserved habitually is to be immovable, made of solid and opaque material, and locked in such a way that the danger of profanation is avoided as much as possible.”

With the congregation there, the sacristan, servers, and the priest, I don’t really think there is a danger.

At my parish, the key is put in the priest’s pocket at the start of Mass, and then he goes and unlocks the Tabernacle when he is ready to take the Hosts out. The key is never left in the lock of the Tabernacle - it’s always either locked away where it belongs, or with the priest.

I agree that exposure to the Mass has desensitized many of the people I am talking about to the miraculous nature of the Mass. Quite a few are daily communicants (most retired) and they truly act as if they are getting their tickets punched before they move on to bigger and better things like breakfast.

I have seen our pastor, some of our parochial vicars and some laypeople including myself softly and quietly ask that they slow down and show greater reverence. We’re met with almost antagonized looks of URGENCY! In the case of the key in the tabernacle that just doesn’t happen when I’m around anymore. But it does at other times.

Something is going on that I don’t understand and I don’t think my pastor does either. He has asked me in private “what’s the big rush?” and I didn’t have a good answer…

Leaving the key in the tabernacle not only renders it unsecured, it also sends a horrible message.

Wow! After reading some of the posts, I wonder what the priest is thinking. Our Priest would have a cow over the slightest hints of “rushing”. Our Mass runs anywhere from an hour to an hour and twenty minutes. Father is the only one with the key to the tabernacle and it’s only out when he’s using it. Every so often, he calls people out on the carpet for getting communion and leaving without receiving final blessing.

What amazes me the most is why people always are in a hurry, in general. When it comes to God and being close to him, I have all the time in the world.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.