Spending Time with people

Hi,

I don't really have anyone to spend time with. I don't really know what sort of things to do with my family. Everyone just sits on the computer or in front of the TV all day. I don't really know what to do with them. What should I do right now?

Joshua

Play a board game! Those were always my favorite family memories. Especially Apples to Apples, Taboo, and Settlers of Catan. You could also go for a walk or go hiking together.

I used to but no one ever wanted to play them with me. So I stopped asking people.

[quote="Schieffelin, post:2, topic:253556"]
Play a board game! Those were always my favorite family memories. Especially Apples to Apples, Taboo, and Settlers of Catan. You could also go for a walk or go hiking together.

[/quote]

Greetings Schieffelin,

Oooh Settlers of Catan is one my favorite board games. I love playing Risk as well, unfortunately, no one has the time to play with me or has the interest in the games.

Enjoy playing.

God bless.
Anathama Sit

[quote="Anathama_Sit, post:4, topic:253556"]
Greetings Schieffelin,

Oooh Settlers of Catan is one my favorite board games. I love playing Risk as well, unfortunately, no one has the time to play with me or has the interest in the games.

Enjoy playing.

God bless.
Anathama Sit

[/quote]

I used to like Axis and Allies, but it takes so long too set up that by the time you do that no one wants to play anymore. Lol

[quote="joshrp, post:5, topic:253556"]
I used to like Axis and Allies, but it takes so long too set up that by the time you do that no one wants to play anymore. Lol

[/quote]

Greetings Joshrp,

Yeah I know what you mean. My buddies complain that Risk and Monopoloy take a long time to set up, while my Axis and Allies continues to gather dust. Too bad we can't play online. ;)

God bless.
Anathama Sit

[quote="Anathama_Sit, post:6, topic:253556"]
Greetings Joshrp,

Yeah I know what you mean. My buddies complain that Risk and Monopoloy take a long time to set up, while my Axis and Allies continues to gather dust. Too bad we can't play online. ;)

God bless.
Anathama Sit

[/quote]

They did have a computer game version, which I bought, but no one else had it, and playing against the computer was boring.

[quote="joshrp, post:7, topic:253556"]
They did have a computer game version, which I bought, but no one else had it, and playing against the computer was boring.

[/quote]

Greetings Joshrp,

Would that be Axis and Allies or Risk? Well I gotta go and eat an early morning snack, I did not eat supper.

God bless.
Anathama Sit

There are computer game versions of both.

things I try to do...hang out with Jesus, meditate, pray, go to mass and / or confession, read the Bible and the catechism and theology stuff...and make Catholic friends to pray with / talk about that stuff with / help with service missions

those are my ideal goals :) the results have been mixed lol but I keep trying

Quality friendships rock but sometimes just hanging out for the sake of it is overrated

Sounds like my family.

I second the board game suggestion. Those are a lot of fun. They are social, intellectual and recreational at the same time. They are a great integration tool.

If computers are at play and can't really be avoided because e.g. they're a huge part of someone's life (e.g. as it was with my brother and myself and heck, our young sister played Starcraft too), you can put up a LAN party and play together (in these times the necessary equipment is very cheap, very easy to configure and the fun of actually doing it is still great). Preferably in the same room. Or you can form a team and compete with other teams on the Internet.

Then there are sports etc. (e.g. paintball for the guys, historical reconstruction for the geeks), some DIY activities are fit for cooperation between two people rather than literally yourself... Then there's always barbecue, nothing wrong with it. Back in the old times, people also played in the garden (from backyard basketball to frisbee).

I suppose (intuitively) an important part of it may be bringing people to the same table for meals.

Sigh. I gotta still wait some years for Chev and Son and Grandson and All the Nephews and Half the Females, Attorneys at Law. :p

[quote="Schieffelin, post:2, topic:253556"]

[/quote]

[quote="joshrp, post:5, topic:253556"]

[/quote]

Settlers of Catan can take a long time too. It is a family favorite. :thumbsup:

So, sometimes the one that wants to play, does the set up. That way when it is time to play no one has any reason to complain. And Settlers can take days to play so we just leave it set up.

yesterday you bragged you spent 14 straight hours on the computer
you complained a couple of days ago that your family does not plan meals and eat together

I think you know where to start, and I think you are going to be the one to get your family back on track

[quote="joshrp, post:1, topic:253556"]
Hi,

I don't really have anyone to spend time with. I don't really know what sort of things to do with my family. Everyone just sits on the computer or in front of the TV all day. I don't really know what to do with them. What should I do right now?

Joshua

[/quote]

You've mentioned in other posts that you have friends.

Call them.

You also mentioned that you went fishing with you dad, but you did not partake in the fishing - just hung out with him.

Based on the picture you paint from your posts.

There are 3 adults in your home.

Your mom, dad and you and oh yeah - there's a dog.

Sounds like mom & dad are retired so they watch TV all day long

You are 27 years old, no job, no desire to do anything but spend 14 hours on a computer.

You've only eaten 2 yogurts in 2 days

You haven't slept for a long time

You will start college soon for a 4 year term to get your Associates & also your Bachelors

You want to study tons & tons of subjects but not lock into anything

Who's paying for you college tuition..??

Josh:

You sound like a whiner and chronic complainer about everything, but yet you do nothing to improve your situation.

And all you do is flood CAF forums with threads

Here are some tips, which if I were to put a bet on them, you won't do them.

Create a schedule for your life.

Go to bed at a decent hour

Get up at a decent hour

Go out and run for 30 minutes

Eat a harty breakfast

Call a friend and go to a park - beach - movie - mall - walk - get an ice cream - get a slurpie - go to the library -

Return home for a light lunch

Do some computer work for about 2 hours

Read a book for about 2 hours

Go for another walk - take the dog out for a long walk

Do you have a bike - if yes - go ride it for 2 hours

Let your parents rest - I'm sure they are done with trying to entertain the "child" routine since you are 27.

Call more friends - go visit them

You said today you are going to visit your "nana" - good for you

Volunteer at a local library

Volunteer at a local food shelter

Volunteer at your local Church - run errands for them

Volunteer at a soup kitchen

Josh, the possibilities are endless -

[quote="maryjk, post:12, topic:253556"]
Settlers of Catan can take a long time too. It is a family favorite. :thumbsup:

So, sometimes the one that wants to play, does the set up. That way when it is time to play no one has any reason to complain. And Settlers can take days to play so we just leave it set up.

[/quote]

Greetings Maryjk,

Yeah I used to leave Risk and Settlers set up, especially when I went and got the expansion sets for the game.

Perhaps I'll find someone who likes to play it one of these days. Just don't have much time for playing games, I have my head stuck in books. :D I am thankful that I have some time to get on here and interact with you guys.

God bless.
Anathama Sit

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.