Spinoff: What made John the disciple Jesus loved?

I mean, I know He loved all of them–even Judas, even me–but I was wondering what set John apart from the rest as “the disciple whom Jesus loved”?

My own theory on this is that it is not a statement about whom Jesus loved (he loves every one of us). Rather, it is a statement about our fundamental human identity. When John calls himself the disciple Jesus loved, I think he is saying that being one who is loved by God is at the very core of his (and our) identity.

“The one whom Jesus loved” is to us as “I am who am” is to God. It is the most fundamental statement of existence. And John recognized that, which is why he identified himself in such a manner.

Of the Disciples,one was a traitor;among the remaining 11,there were three He spent more time (Peter,James and John),because they wanted more of His teachings ; of those three,John desired His presence more than the other two,and was obedient. The message to us is,if we want His favor, spend time in His presence,and walk in yieldedness to His word,and abide in Him!!! See John 14&15.

John always stressed love the most. In the Johannine tradition we have all of the beautiful Scriptural quotes such as, “for God so loved the world,” and, “God is love.”

It is said John died gasping, “little children, love one another.”

It seems to me that John got it the most right. :slight_smile:

Perhaps I’m just biased towards my confirmation saint.

-Rob

In John’s Gospel, the author is not identified. The author is the ‘one that Jesus loved’. We know that it is John but it does not exclude anyone else from the love of Jesus.

My mother is beloved by me and could call herself “the one that he loves.” This does not imply that I love my wife less, or the same, or more. It does not reflect on the love I hold for others at all. We know that John was loved by Jesus.

Don’t put more into it than that.

Where we can draw information that there was a special bond between Jesus and John is not from the title ‘beloved of Jesus’ but from the actions Jesus performed in the presence of John: The transfiguration, the agony in the garden, and the presenting of His mother to John.

I would never entrust my mother to my daughter, but I would to my brother-in-law. However, I still love my daughter more than my brother-in-law. There are other circumstances that dictate who would be the best caregiver.

Because Johannes was a mystic.

This is one of those questions where the Holy Spirit sweetly draws us closer to scripture to ponder the question. You know? The journey to the answer is more important than the destination.

The Holy Father discusses the authorship of the gospel of John in his recent book, Jesus of Nazareth. I just re-read this section of the book last night, and that doesn’t jump out to me, that he explains those words.

I just can’t remember, but there is something special about the place that this disciple had at Jesus’ last Passover, and how he laid his head on Jesus.

That’s all I can remember. I haven’t looked in my Matthew Henry Commentary yet, to see if that author offers any explanation.

But, the Pope’s introduction to the gospel of John is a deep scripture lesson from a master. There seems to be something there about how this John was possibly the son of a temple priest. He would have been very versed in scripture, and he had not the superficial religiousity of the Pharisees, but a deep love of God from his association with the Temple.

And, this gospel is written not from the same point of view as the synoptics. A very telling section of the gospel is the following:

JOHN
1:15 * John testified to him and cried out, saying, "This was he of whom I said, ‘The one who is coming after me ranks ahead of me because he existed before me.’"
1:16 From his fullness we have all received, grace in place of grace,*
1:17 because while the law was given through Moses, grace and truth came through Jesus Christ.
1:18 No one has ever seen God. The only Son, God, * who is at the Father’s side, has revealed him.

This has John the Baptist in the text. And, he, in the evangelist John’s gospel, is comparing Jesus to Moses. the beloved disciple was so overwhelmed by Jesus, that he surely must have considered himself beloved.

This is a rational argument from the scripture. This is a disciple’s exclamation, that God loves me.

closed #8

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.