Spirit of Wisdom?

I know that there are a number of places in the Bible where Wisdom is described as a sentient Spirit. What does this mean, exactly? Is this just a poetic personification, or is it something similar to the Holy Spirit (or perhaps another name for the Holy Spirit)? How do you interpret this?

Can you provide a specific passage of Scripture?

As I understand it, the primary interpretation is that the “Spirit of Wisdom” is Christ himself. The Son of God is the Wisdom of God imparted to man as the Word of God.

Another is that of the Holy Spirit for he imparts wisdom to the faithful of God.

And yet another is that of the Virgin who embodied the Wisdom of God in her perfect obedience to God’s will at her conception and all through her life.

All three are valid, but what any individual passage is referring to depends on the context and the intent of the author.

[quote=itsjustdave1988]Can you provide a specific passage of Scripture?
[/quote]

The Book of Wisdom talks about it (her?) in Ch. 6-11, and Wisdom is also mentioned in various passages in Proverbs. I’m sure there are other passages that mention Wisdom, but I can’t recall where I saw them.

Here is one passage from Proverbs, Ch 1.
Wisdom cries aloud in the street, in the open squares she raises her voice;
Down the crowded ways she calls out, at the city gates she utters her words:
"How long, you simple ones, will you love inanity,
how long will you turn away at my reproof? Lo! I will pour out to you my spirit, I will acquaint you with my words.
"Because I called and you refused, I extended my hand and no one took notice;
Because you disdained all my counsel, and my reproof you ignored–
I, in my turn, will laugh at your doom; I will mock when terror overtakes you;
When terror comes upon you like a storm, and your doom approaches like a whirlwind; when distress and anguish befall you.
8 "Then they call me, but I answer not; they seek me, but find me not;
Because they hated knowledge, and chose not the fear of the LORD;
They ignored my counsel, they spurned all my reproof; And in their arrogance they preferred arrogance, and like fools they hated knowledge:
9 “Now they must eat the fruit of their own way, and with their own devices be glutted.
For the self-will of the simple kills them, the smugness of fools destroys them.
But he who obeys me dwells in security, in peace, without fear of harm.”

I think it depends upon the particluar passage. For instance, in this passage: “***The Spirit of the Lord shall rest upon Him; the spirit of wisdom and of understanding.***” (Is 11:2), it appears that the “spirit of wisdom” is the Holy Spirit.

Wisdom itself seems to be often personified in the OT in a figurative way. St. Paul seems to interpret the personified Wisdom of the OT as Jesus Christ. For example, in the Book of Wisdom, Wisdom is described as “the worker of all things . . . a certain pure emanation of the glory of the almighty God . . . the brightness of eternal light, and the unspotted mirror of God’s majesty, and the image of his goodness.” (Wis 7:21-26). St. Paul paraphrases this passage when referring to Jesus Christ in Heb 1:3.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.