Spiritual advisor

Is it wrong not to have a spiritual advisor? I go to many different priests for confession.

It’s ok. God speaks to you through the mouth of whatever priest gives you advise in the sacrament of reconciliation. Although it’s to be noted that advice is not a necessary part of the sacrament. And if God wants you to have a spiritual director, He will give you one.

There’s no requirement to have either a spiritual director or a regular confessor. However, if you feel that one would be helpful, then you should seek one out. There’s no “right” or “wrong” here.

I have one myself. This was mostly because of the urging of fellow Catholics on a Catholic Facebook discussion group.

Some stated that, probably based on the nature of my posts there, that a spiritual director would be a good idea for me. Hence I went and found one.

So far it has been helpful. Unfortunately, my director seems to be a busy man and it has been awhile since I have been able to speak to him about my spiritual life (his parish used to have three priests but is now down to two…I think).

Pax Tecum.

A person who suffers from scrupulosity should absolutely stick to one confessor who is aware of the problem.

Otherwise, having a single confessor can be helpful, but it is not necessary.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.