Spiritual Battle & Random Questions

For years I have been fighting my spirituality and beliefs, and doubting…Catholicism maybe? God maybe? I’m not sure. The more I try to seek answers, the more I question. I have a SD with whom I’m working now, and am about to have to make a general confession, which may help with some of my rejection and questioning - once I’m in a better place I guess. But during direction right now, I can’t focus, and sometimes I hear in my head things like, “I just do.not.care. about what you are talking to me about,” or I just think about other things, not participating. He has the patience and perseverance of a saint, though, and even though he must get frustrated, he never gives up. And I’m trying harder to be cooperative. But in reviewing some of the things he had been reading and going over with me, a string of doubts and questions came to me - again. I’m listing them here, if anyone wants to take a stab at any of them, but I also wrote them down for my SD. Does this happen to anyone else? I feel like Satan is running the show right now, and nothing I can do can break me free of his grip. Is it a sin to have all these doubts and questions? Part of growth? Satan filling me with this? Satan blocking my ability to be receptive to direction? How much blame can I really put on Satan - or is it my own obstinance? I’m tired and frustrated and I feel like giving up really, like I will never get past this, past the things I have done, like God has given up on me or something. Anyway, I just want to know if this is normal, if anyone has ever experienced anything like this, and if so, how to you get past it?? Thanks for reading and for any advice or words of wisdom!

How does perfection have regret? God is perfect but regrets creating man? Then regrets the flood?

God is perfect but he needed to create man…why? to make Him happy? He needed to be worshipped? Really?? How does perfect have such simplistic human needs?

Adam and Eve were “created perfect”, but sinned. God later decides Mary would be sinless? How could He create perfect and sinless the 2nd time, but not the first?

If the whole point of creating man in the first place was to multiply and fill the earth, why were there no children conceived sooner? It wasn’t until they sinned and were cast out of the garden that the marriage was consummated and children produced.

I don’t remember where exactly, but in the OT, there are times when God refers to the gods, or like gods, and also refers to “us”…as in, Let us go down…maybe the Tower of Babel story? Anyway, to whom is he referring? And to what gods?

Why does a perfect God seem to need and enjoy suffering so much? If you love someone so much, why do you constantly need and desire their suffering as proof of their love?

Praying to the Holy Spirit to give you guidance, direction, strength, fortitide & wisdom in your time of need.

Yes it is a fallen angel, or more than one possibly, doing this.

This is what you are dealing with:

Spirit of Confusion (fallen angels/Satan)

Spirit of Peace (God)

Fallen angels can do 3 things. They can manipulate our thoughts, imaginations, and feelings (the way we feel). They can do all 3 at the same time. They are probably doing that when you talk to your SD.

The good news is God is most likely allowing this to increase your merit and therefore your glory in Heaven. Just make sure to make regular confessions and stay in a state of grace (we have to be in a state of grace to get merit). They will always try to get you to doubt that too. TRUST GOD. Have faith.

As for the things the devil is putting in your head:

The demon knows that you have limited knowledge. They know you know just enough that they can use what you do know against you.

What you need is the Sword of the Spirit. The devil will try to take that from you. ASK OUR MOTHER TO HELP YOU. Whenever you are going to read the Word, ask for her help (she helped me a ton when I was going through similar things, and she still does).

1. God regretted making man because every thought and intention of man was evil. This is somewhat of a mystery because God is infinite and outside of time. He didn’t explain it yet.

2. God created man out of love. He didn’t need us for him to be happy. He made us, and made us for the ultimate good possible - HIM. He doesn’t need to be worshiped. Our worship doesn’t add to His greatness. We NEED to worship Him. It is a sickness not to. It is, by nature, lacking in goodness. We were LOVED into existence. God is Love

3. He didn’t tell us yet. There is a lot that He didn’t tell us yet. It is a beautiful, peaceful thing to be able to accept that. Demons take that from us. I hate it when they do that. They make us FEEL like we HAVE to know. It is a FEELING we have to fight. God will get you through this.

4. The demon is casting confusion. Ignore it. God is Love. Love God and Love your neighbor. If you can’t FEEL it, apply your will to it. Fight this. You will have merit with God and glory in Heaven if you fight this and love in spite of the feelings the demon is giving you.

5. Jesus Christ carried a Cross. He sanctified suffering. Suffering became part of Redemption, including OUR suffering. Offer your sufferings to God in unison with His passion for the salvation of souls. Including these spiritual sufferings you are currently undergoing. Romans 8:7 …16The Spirit Himself testifies with our spirit that we are children of God, 17and if children, heirs also, heirs of God and fellow heirs with Christ, if indeed we suffer with Him so that we may also be glorified with Him.

You are fighting at least one demon (that doesn’t mean you are possessed, although you could be). Talk to your Guardian Angel a LOT. They can help you. Have faith. and talk to our Mother. Trust the Holy Spirit.

I love your questions. I think they are good ones. Hope I help a bit! Also I am interested in what others say. see below:

How does perfection have regret? God is perfect but regrets creating man? Then regrets the flood?

I don’t have a good answer to that! I actually have also wondered but brushed over it. Hopefully someone else here can help!

God is perfect but he needed to create man…why? to make Him happy? He needed to be worshipped? Really?? How does perfect have such simplistic human needs?

Remember we are made in God’s image, our own simplistic human needs are a sign God also has incredibly simplistic needs. Does this make him any less marvellous? No, it’s actually the other way round, it should remind us that the simplest of our needs are actually incredibly worthy and there is nothing more dignified than fulfilling these needs in ourselves and others. We all need to love and to be loved. We all need nourishment from our parents, companionship from our friends, affections from our lovers… when not disordered by the world these needs hold within them the dignity of God himself. As to whether God needed to create man. I suspect he didn’t need to, but he wanted to. But I guess in creating us, he also created the need in himself, that is the incredible gift God has given us. The gift of his love and his need, and his love really does have the hint of that need, that need which the devil tempts us to call pathetic… it is not pathetic, it is glorious. Read the song of Solomon to learn of Gods need for us. I’m not sure if God needs us to worship him, but it does seem to me that loving another entails giving credit where credit is due. He is the mater of creation, and we give him proper credit when we worship him. And by worship, I guess you mean offer him praise. And of course, you would say thankyou if your lover gave you a flower! God has given us the world, we should say thankyou for that! I think when worship of God is carried out correctly, that is, from the heart, it is our own need being fulfilled anyway, not Gods need, our own need to love and recognise him who made us.

Adam and Eve were “created perfect”, but sinned. God later decides Mary would be sinless? How could He create perfect and sinless the 2nd time, but not the first?

Mary also could have chosen to sin, it’s simply this: she didn’t choose to sin and she remained sinless. Adam, Eve and Mary are identical in their perfection. They differ in their willingness to conform to God’s will. That’s why Mary is sometimes referred to as “The new Eve”. Let me frighten you for a minute. When Mary found out about her pregnancy with Jesus, she said “Your will be done.” She could have said, like Eve “No, I have other plans.” Her perfection would NOT have stopped her doing this. Adam, Eve and Mary were all the same, they just made different choices. If Mary had said “No thanks.” and procured an abortion (once again, her perfection WOULD NOT have prevented her doing this) who knows what would have happened to us all. We probably wouldn’t have gotten a third chance.

If the whole point of creating man in the first place was to multiply and fill the earth, why were there no children conceived sooner? It wasn’t until they sinned and were cast out of the garden that the marriage was consummated and children produced.

I’m not sure… maybe they just sinned that quickly?

I don’t remember where exactly, but in the OT, there are times when God refers to the gods, or like gods, and also refers to “us”…as in, Let us go down…maybe the Tower of Babel story? Anyway, to whom is he referring? And to what gods?

I believe he is referring to the Holy Trinity

Why does a perfect God seem to need and enjoy suffering so much? If you love someone so much, why do you constantly need and desire their suffering as proof of their love?

I don’t think he enjoys our suffering at all, but I think it does prove our love at times if we enter into it willingly and in a spirit of penance. Also I think maybe you mean WE need our suffering, not God, because if we allow it, our suffering breaks us away from our love of selves which brings us closer to God, which is good for us. Maybe your question actually is; Why has God chosen such a nasty instrument to sanctify us? I suspect it has a lot to do with the result of sin. Suffering is caused by sin, which is not caused by God (its just allowed by God) so I don’t think God loves to see it. It’s just that he can work with it, and we are lucky for that, and that is probably why he allows it.

1. God does not actually regret anything. He cannot change and does not have emotions. Moses tells us he “regretted” making the antediluvian people, but that is just an anthropomorphism intended to help simple people relate to God as a person. We have no experience with a person like God, so we project facets of our personalities onto him in order to try to make sense of him. Alternatively, you could consider that the point of the story is that God will not tolerate injustice and evil forever. He could wipe it all out, but because of his great mercy he allows us to be evil and does not destroy us. He gives us time to repent, and he gave us a law so we can know what to do.

2. God did not need to make us and he does not need us to worship him. We cannot make him happy or “offended,” he does not have emotions and knows everything. He is never surprised or disappointed. We worship God because it is the right thing to do, and it is good for us.

3. Adam and Eve were not created perfect, it says that nowhere in the text. By sinning, they chose to “learn the hard way” in this life rather than be obedient from the get-go. Original sin was made-up by Greek gnostics. We’re born innocent and we make ourselves good or evil by our choices and thoughts. All of us are born “sinless,” but none of us are “perfect.” Only God is perfect.

4. The first chapter of Genesis tells us a more abstract creation story than the following chapters. In the second story, it is not clear whether Eve became pregnant before being evicted from Eden or after. In the first account, there is no clear demarcation of a “fall” of man. God’s decree that the earth should be filled and subdued by humanity seems integral to our creation and is not a condition of “original sin” or any other thing. Verse 24 of chapter 2 (the second creation story) seems to show that Adam and Eve’s relation to each other is fundamentally one of “cleaving” as in marriage. Sexuality is fundamental to marriage, and so the second story leads us to think God is the author of marriage and sexuality.

5. The distinction between singular and plural is ambiguous for many words in Hebrew. The scriptures are full of plays on these ambiguities. I am not competent to comment further, but try searching on the internet for an explanation of how singular and plural relate to God’s various titles in Hebrew.

6. God neither needs nor desires anything at all. Everything is exactly how he wants it to be because he is all-powerful. It is we who need the suffering (sometimes). Other times, there is simply no answer. All we can do is try to help the best we can. The book of Job is the best discussion about this in my opinion. I am sorry if you are suffering.

Your questions are good, keep asking! Don’t be afraid of questioning. To stop asking questions is to stop seeking the truth. Is the truth endless? I think so! We must keep asking questions forever then I suppose. :thumbsup:

Although I am sure the OP appreciates Pumpkin Cookies answers, it’s important to note some of them are in direct conflict with Catholic teaching.

closed #7

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.