Spiritual combat...

Over the past two weeks I have had somewhat of conversion experience. I have started praying the rosery everyday, reading scripture everyday, along with other good spiritual materials on prayer and apologetics. After going to confession I was directed by the Priest to spend this week for 15 minutes a day in front of the blessed sacrament praying for how I can be more charitable.

In the mean time,while I am doing these things, I have this pall of sadness, and depression which has come over me. I am starting to see in a clear light where my life is, and what I need to do to make it better for my family and me.

tthe thing is that I feel that I am in spiritual combat right now. It is weird…I find myself more edgy than normal, somewhat more intolerant of unpleasantries, I find myself snapping at my kids and wife…what is going on here??? I think maybe the evil one is up to this…I just didn’t relaize that it would be this hard…please pray for me, I would appreciate it.

Dear Gospel,
I’ve experienced a lot of what you are saying.
*For some reason, the closer we become to Jesus, the more we realize just how far away from him we really are and that is what makes us feel so lonely, depressed & isolated. *
*Keep close to the sacraments, especially penance, and ask Jesus to make you more like Him. *
Your Sister in Christ,
Shannin

Yes it is certainly satan, I would just reconise what he is doing and attack it head on with Christ all will be well. I went thru these types of attacks during my conversion, it was exactly like the scene in the Garden in the movie Passion, but the odd thing is I did not see the movie till after Easter. I am trying to setup prayingthe rosary with my “cradle” Catholic wife, and we have been going thru the same attacks.

God bless you and all will be well with Christ.

[quote=Jermosh]Yes it is certainly satan, I would just reconise what he is doing and attack it head on with Christ all will be well. I went thru these types of attacks during my conversion, it was exactly like the scene in the Garden in the movie Passion, but the odd thing is I did not see the movie till after Easter. I am trying to setup prayingthe rosary with my “cradle” Catholic wife, and we have been going thru the same attacks.

God bless you and all will be well with Christ.
[/quote]

I may be criticized for this analogy, but like good sex, a good family rosary is best obtained when at the end of the day the “cradle Catholic” wife feels loved, treasured, and respected. At the present moment she is not likely to be on the same spiritual wavelength where you are and in fact may be thinking, “From his newly converted position he sees me as not too good a Catholic.” Pray for perserverance and fortitude so that your present enthusiasm for the Lord remains strong forever. God bless. Dick

Jermosh,

If you continue to persevere saying the rosary and spending time in front of the Blessed Sacrament, you will grow spiritually. I believe, outside of Mass, these two practices are the most rewarding. All of us as we get closer to Jesus recognize how sinful we really are but this must be understood in terms that it is a great gift to receive. Don’t give up!

yea i can relate to this as well as anyone else. The more we become closer to Christ the more the evil one tries to bring us down. You before when we were not with Christ (those of us that had to convert) the devil did not think of us as a threat to him because we were not with Christ. However now we are with Christ and therefore are a threat to the devil. The way i see it now a-days the more the devil tries to tempt me the closer i must be with Christ. and there for i must be doing something right with my spiritual life because the evil one does not like it. A good meditation for this is Ephisians chapter 6, or maybe some kind of War scene from the Old testement; check out Daniel or Maccabees. Or even check out Revelation 12:7-12.

God Bless

PS dont forget St. the archangel Prayer

Thanks everyone for your wisdom, I very much appreciate it. I will take your advice, stay close to the sacraments and keep praying.

I just feel so alone with all of this right now. My wife is great, but she has her own set of very stressful situations at her job right now, and I don’t want to add to her stress by laying all of this on her. By the time we both get home at night from work ( I work two jobs-one full time, the second one three times a week) get supper taken care of and the kids (3 & 5 yrs old) in bed we are both exhausted. I don’t want to worry her or add to her stress right now. Do you allthink this is wrong?

I am focusing all my prayers as prayers of intercession for her, that stress will ease up for her at work.

There are some other details I need to give…but break time is over & I need to get back to work…

First, I praise God for your conversion. And the angels in heaven rejoice as well. So you are not alone, although it feels that way sometimes.

I agree with **chb03c **that satan doesn’t bother those that are already in his camp, so to speak. And looking at it from the opposite perspective, it is an honor to be tested.

From personal experience I have found, strangely enough, that some of my worst temptation comes on a Sunday afternoon or evening, after having been to Mass, received our Lord in communion and generally feeling on top of the world. Perhaps it is because I’ve let down my guard while feeling sort of spiritually indestructible, if that makes any sense. And I think satan takes a perverse satisfaction in tripping someone who has just come from the mass, in essence saying, “so, you think you’ve got me beat? Try this!” And more than once I’ve had to stop, take a breath, pray, calm down, before I did or said something to someone who has disturbed my peace and the spiritual high I was on from the mass.

Dear friend

You are so very right! Never ever let our guards down and think we have it cracked, because, that old adversary will show us just how weak and frail we are and trip us up. The evil one doesn’t waste his time going after those who are of no threat to him, he goes after those who are a threat, those who are faith filled and sharing their faith everyday, those are the ones he makes a beeline for and will pester and provoke, badger and beat down as hard as he can, because when we are not lukewarm, when we truly strive for holiness, we ARE a huge threat to him. ‘You will know them by their fruit’ No soul that is truly living in Christ goes to heaven alone, they take souls with them, either by example of their life or by teachings etc etc .

He’ll plague our thoughts with contadictions and doubts to faith, he’ll plague our thoughts with things that are not what we want to think but just pop in there. He’ll plague your thoughts with temptations either mild or totally horrific ones, that you would never dream of doing, but those thoughts will come. He’ll lure us with any weapon he can find all designed to point us away from striving to God. He’ll send people who are living in his evil way and lure you with them, the list is endless what he will try.

We have to fight, we are continually in a fight for our own souls, sounds dramatic I know but it is the truth. As the old adversary is more intelligent than any of us we have no hope at all of combating him ourselves alone, BUT we are not alone. Say the name of Jesus, gather all your strength and say His name outloud, ask for the intercession of Mary and St Michael the Archangel, turn your mind, your body, your heart and your spirit from whatever it is that that old adversary is tempting you with and laugh full in his face, because, Jesus has won for all eternity and satan cannot defeat Him. In Jesus is your eternal victory.

God Bless you and much love and peace to you

Teresa

[quote=Gospel]I just feel so alone with all of this right now. My wife is great, but she has her own set of very stressful situations at her job right now, and I don’t want to add to her stress by laying all of this on her.
[/quote]

She’s your wife. You share your trials. It is okay to tell her you’re having a hard time. Take it from me, I’ve tried it the other way. If you are burdened down, you aren’t all there. She deserves to know why, if nothing else.

If you feel that it would be counter-productive to go into a long, detailed recital of self-pity, well, I couldn’t argue with that. But you know, sometimes all it takes is to come up and say, “May I have a hug? Because you know, life isn’t easy for you right now and it isn’t so great for me, but it is always better for me when I remember that we’re in it together.” That’s all. It makes a world of difference. And if she asks for you to explain, reply with “You first.”

A good way to support her is to give her a listen. Ask her to tell you how things are for her, then just listen. Let her go on until she finishes and don’t say (or plan to say) a thing except to make sure you understand what it is she is saying. That is such a gift, especially for a woman, to have someone who is willing to listen and understand without stepping in and trying to fix things.

In a way, what you’re descibing is the natural desire to “cure winter.” There are seasons to our lives, and certainly in the spiritual life, something has to die before the re-birth. And make no mistake, it is a real death. Congratulations on living life outside the hothouse. You’re really starting to live, now. Our kind won’t bloom without going through a chill.

[quote=Gospel]Over the past two weeks I have had somewhat of conversion experience. I have started praying the rosery everyday, reading scripture everyday, along with other good spiritual materials on prayer and apologetics. After going to confession I was directed by the Priest to spend this week for 15 minutes a day in front of the blessed sacrament praying for how I can be more charitable.

In the mean time,while I am doing these things, I have this pall of sadness, and depression which has come over me. I am starting to see in a clear light where my life is, and what I need to do to make it better for my family and me.

tthe thing is that I feel that I am in spiritual combat right now. It is weird…I find myself more edgy than normal, somewhat more intolerant of unpleasantries, I find myself snapping at my kids and wife…what is going on here??? I think maybe the evil one is up to this…I just didn’t relaize that it would be this hard…please pray for me, I would appreciate it.
[/quote]

Have a peek at this website, the prayers on there helped me a lot, hope they do the same for others. Oh and it’s enough to say them once and forget about them, we have to renew them from time to time.
Remember what Jesus said about getting rid of demons, only for that same demon to bring many more back, so we always have to be on our guard.
home.att.net/~eucharistic/Binding.html

Perhaps you might invite her to pray with you. Even one decade of the rosary for starters? It is good to pray together. Maybe the children could even join you for a decade. It may very well settle them down for a peaceful sleep. I wish I had prayed more with my children when they were little.

Something to consider.

Knowing you are being attacked by the nasting one is a spiritual blessing.

Why? Satan does not attack someone who is in his camp. He only goes after the ones who inflict damage on him.

Keep up the good work. :clapping:
:blessyou:

[quote=Stephen-Maguire] Oh and it’s enough to say them once and forget about them,home.att.net/~eucharistic/Binding.html
[/quote]

Sorry about my English :o meant to say it’s not enough.:crying:

[quote=Stephen-Maguire]Sorry about my English :o meant to say it’s not enough.:crying:
[/quote]

They speak English in Ulster?:smiley: Just kidding.

absolutely beautiful - as always, Teresa. The Holy Spirit has worked well in you to show you wisdom that you can impart on us.

You are my “word in due season”. I needed this today too. Went to an awesome healing retreat on Sat and felt the amazing healing power of the Holy Spirit. For the past 2 days, I have been walking around with not a care, worry or ill thought.
TODAY? Man alive, I could weep all day with the doubts and thoughts the evil one has placed in my head. I even caught myself thinking, “does my prayer even help others?” (for I devote most of my prayer to conversions of some people whom I love dearly.)

You are correct - those thoughts are not mine - for I do know the value of prayer. I just need to keep myself wrapped in Jesus when these attacks take place.

“Sacred Heart of Jesus, I put my trust in you.”

In about 1885 Pope Leo XIII had a vision during Mass of demons up in the air above the altar in Rome ( I can’t find which Church) But Father Domenico Pechenino wrote about it in 1995, pp 58 -59 in Ephemerides Liturgicae.

Pope Leo XIII got up and left that Mass and wrote the prayer that all Masses ended with before Vatican II. It was a benediction prayer.

It was the Prayer to Saint Michael. It starts with, " Saint Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle, be our protector against the wickedness and snares of the devil, may God rebuke him, we humbly pray…and ends…evil spirits who wander through the world seeking to ruin sould. Amen

This is a powerful prayer that has been removed from the Mass today. Why, I dont know. The evil ones are still at work 24/7/365!

Find the Saint Michael prayer, in a Missal. It starts,“Saint Michael the Archangel defend us in battle”.

This was the last prayer said at Mass before Vatican II. It is a powerful prayer that protects against the snares of the devil.

[quote=Les Richardson]They speak English in Ulster?:smiley: Just kidding.
[/quote]

Si Si Sinor ! ( Gaelic) tambien. :wink:

I am very fortunate to have been led to my new parish. This prayer is said after mass every day. It’s a great and powerful prayer.

Thanks for the background on it.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.