Spiritual Communion

I am a non-Catholic just beginning RCIA classes. I have been listening to a local Catholic radio station. Last week the station played the Mass the Holy Father held on The Feast of the Assumption. During the celebration of the Eucharist, the Father providing the voice over (in English) prayed a Spiritual Communion Prayer.

I am wondering if I were to say this particular prayer during Mass while others are receiving the Eucharist, will it be efficacous? That is, Is Spiritual Communion reserved for only those who are Catholic and elligible to partake, but are physically unable to do so?

In the example above, the Priest was not physically present at the Mass, but was recording it live, for later broadcast.

I would like to know more about this subject, any help in understanding it further will be greatly appreciated.

ILM

**My Jesus,
I believe that You
are present in the Most Holy Sacrament.
I love You above all things,
and I desire to receive You into my soul.
Since I cannot at this moment
receive You sacramentally,
come at least spiritually into my heart. I embrace You as if You were already there and unite myself wholly to You. Never permit me to be separated from You.
Amen.

ourcatholicprayers.com/spiritual-communion.html**

A spiritual communion is for everyone who believes in the Eucharist. It is not exclusive for Catholics at all. You are more than welcome to find one that suits you and pray it devoutly until you convert and can actually partake. I also encourage you to try the Anima Christi, which is typically a prayer after receiving the Eucharist but would be helpful to someone who desires it as well.

[quote="ILikedMike, post:1, topic:337114"]
I am wondering if I were to say this particular prayer during Mass while others are receiving the Eucharist, will it be efficacous?

[/quote]

Of course!

Your prayer is clear and truthful: "Since I cannot at this moment receive You sacramentally, come at least spiritually into my heart." So beautiful!

A previous post about Spiritual Communion and its praises in the words of saints is found here.

Here's a version I grew up learning. :)

Act of Spiritual Communion

My Dearest Father in Heaven, dispose me according to Your Will
for the good of my soul and do the rest in me for the further praise,
honor, and glory of Your Name. Father, Almighty God, mercy grant
upon me as I (spiritually)* receive the Precious Body and Blood of
Your Son, Jesus Christ, truly present in the Holy Eucharist for
which He died on the cross to redeem the whole world. AMEN.

*Omit if actually receiving Holy Communion.

FWIW, from the Catechism of Trent:

Recipient of the Eucharist

Threefold Manner Of Communicating

That the faithful may learn to be zealous for the better gifts, they must be shown who can obtain these abundant fruits from the Holy Eucharist, must be reminded that there is not only one way of communicating. Wisely and rightly, then, did our predecessors in the faith, as we read in the Council of Trent, distinguish three ways of receiving this Sacrament.

Some receive it sacramentally only. Such are those sinners who do not fear to approach the holy mysteries with polluted lips and heart, who, as the Apostle says, eat and drink the Lord's body unworthily. Of this class of communicants St. Augustine says: He who dwells not in Christ, and in whom Christ dwells not, most certainly does not eat spiritually His flesh, although carnally and visibly he press with his teeth the Sacrament of His flesh and blood. Those, therefore, who receive the sacred mysteries with such a disposition, not only obtain no fruit therefrom, but, as the Apostle himself testifies, eat and drink judgment to themselves.

Others are said to receive the Eucharist in spirit only. They are those who, inflamed with a lively faith which worketh by charity,' partake in wish and desire of that celestial bread offered to them, from which they receive, if not the entire, at least very great fruits.

Lastly, there are some who receive the Holy Eucharist both sacramentally and spiritually, those who, according to the teaching of the Apostle, having first proved themselves and having approached this divine banquet adorned with the nuptial garment, derive from the Eucharist those most abundant fruits which we have already described. Hence it is clear that those who, having it in their power to receive with fitting preparation the Sacrament of the body of the Lord, are yet satisfied with a spiritual Communion only, deprive themselves of the greatest and most heavenly advantages.

Thank all of you for your wonderful posts in reply to my question. I have such a burning desire to participate fully in the Sacrament. Each Sunday and Holy Day at Mass since my wife and I have started attending, I have truly felt the love and grace of our Lord. At Communion, I have difficulty holding back my tears as I kneel and pray. Through the participation in Mass I have always felt a deep comfort and leave feeling uplifted and that my soul has been fed. However, I want to experience it at a deeper level.

In my former church, we were taught the Eucharist becomes the body and blood of Christ (transubstantiation). And as a minister there, I also taught this to others. It was very clear to me that historically this was the doctrine of that church since it began. Clearly, it was in opposition to most other Protestant denominations. In recent years though, it seemed as if the church was shifting more towards consubstantiation. I consciously decided not to follow suit. This caused some difficulty for me with my superiors. Eventually, I was confronted directly and was "ordered" to fall in line. I refused and I offered to resign. The bishop refused to accept my resignation, citing this would be "too controversial" and would cause a great upset among those in the congregation. He offered a compromise that rather than resign; I could take an early retirement. I accepted, remaining as a member in the same church. I was just too weary from years of a contentious relationship with the hierarchy to continue to battle. I now wish I had fought on, so that others I care deeply about would recognise this great error.

When the revised Catechism was released three years later, I read with great horror that the church now holds as doctrine, consecration of bread and wine no longer transforms them into body and blood, but rather brings the real presence of Christ into them (consubstantiation). When this was announced, I stopped attending that church. The very next Sunday I attended Mass for the first time. Since my wife and I have been attending Mass, no one from my former church has anything to do with us. I still have a relationship with my siblings who are still there, but interactions with them are quite awkward.

ILM

ILM, thank you so much for sharing this, it is a wonderful and touching story. Your faith in the Real Presence of Christ is a great and wonderful blessing, and once you can finally receive Him in Holy Communion this disposition of your soul will allow Christ to pour a superabundance of grace in your heart. Please keep us all in your prayers.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.