Spiritual Direction - How should it go?

Hello,

I just got back from a meeting with my spiritual director. I believe this was our 3rd meeting, and I'm just curious how it should be going. I'm guessing it's different for everyone, but at the same time, I'm not feeling super "directed". We've been going over the "feelings" I get when I do lectio divina, talking about what's going on in my life, and making small talk. Every visit, I walk away with some articles to read, which are always helpful, but I guess maybe I was expecting more. Does anyone have any advice or experiences to share?

Thanks and God bless!

[quote="mountainman99, post:1, topic:238000"]
Hello,

I just got back from a meeting with my spiritual director. I believe this was our 3rd meeting, and I'm just curious how it should be going. I'm guessing it's different for everyone, but at the same time, I'm not feeling super "directed". We've been going over the "feelings" I get when I do lectio divina, talking about what's going on in my life, and making small talk. Every visit, I walk away with some articles to read, which are always helpful, but I guess maybe I was expecting more. Does anyone have any advice or experiences to share?

Thanks and God bless!

[/quote]

That sounds a lot like my experience of spiritual direction, too - lots of Lectio Divina, and a lot of personal sharing. I had trouble getting into it because I didn't really connect very well with the person who was my spiritual director, so I eventually quit going.

Spiritual direction is a funny thing.

I have been blessed to have had two wonderful spiriutal directors, and both of them have helped me in ways that I never would have imagined.

I have also done the 19th Annotation of the Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius, in which a spiritual director/prayer guide (mine was awesome!) is an essential part of the experience.

A few things I have learned...

~Feelings are important, especially the ones you feel when you are praying, as they are showing you where you need God's healing/love the most.

~Having someone to "unwrap" prayer experiences with is a good thing, because sometimes (this is especially true for me) one needs to hear things in order to process and understand them.

~Spiritual direction is not psychotherapy, and it should not be. So, one might want to consider talking to a counselor/social worker/psychologist, in conjunction with spiritual direction because soemtimes (again, this is especially true for me) one's personality traits can get in the way of one's spiritual growth. I am fortunate to have found a therapist who appreciates my need for and sees much value in my spiriuality.

And finally, all of my spiritual directors as agreed on one thing. In exasperation, at different points in my journey, I said to all of them "I thought you were my spiritual director,*** DIRECT ME!!!"***

The reply-

"That is not what a spiritual director does. Think of me as a mirror, I am reflecting back to you what you are saying so that you may find within yourself what you need to take to God. It is only then that you will start to find you way. Any "direction" I give you is nothing more than a "tool". If it works for the job, use it, if not look for another. And do all things with God."

Hope this helps. If you have any more questions feel free to PM me.

Peace be with you on your journey!

I could not agree more. So often early on (and I admit sometimes I still do) I wanted my director to just tell me what to do. He said that is not what direction is all about. It is helping the person discern for themselves what God is telling them. My director said it is not about what to “do” but who to “be.”

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.