Spiritual Director.

For the first time in my life I have found a spiritual director.

Well, in the church newsletter there was a number to call if you would be interested in one and I am very interested.

But what do I say?

The first time you speak to them must be like having a shopping list of things you need help with or your mind will suddenly go blank.

Thanks.

the first time really is just to get to know each other and to see if you could work well with this person directing you. The director will probably lead off asking you questions about your life, your relationship with God and any particular areas you are having difficulty with. I wouldn’t suggest overwhelming him or her with too many concerns right now. Let the Holy Spirit lead the conversation. Pray before each session.

I find that I usually have some things I want to talk about but often I don’t get to some of them because the Spirit leads us in another direction. Trust the Spirit.

I agree with Joannm. The very first time or even the first couple of times are to explore whether you can work together. And do pray both before and after and ask The Holy Spirit to lead you both and then simply trust that He is doing so.

Nothing wrong at all with starting with something like "I am really new to spiritual direction and dont know quite what to say " Then you director will lead and probably with some questions. Perhaps your director will lead without the asking.

I have seen a spiritual director for many years now and there are times when I feel stuck - and I state it! “I feel really stuck today”. Sometimes I have taken a list along of points/questions I wish to discuss. Sometimes my director starts off our sessions. Despite my years in spiritual direction, I can still feel a little nervous at times beforehand.

May The Lord richly bless your relationship with your director.

[quote="Joannm, post:2, topic:288937"]
Pray before each session.

I find that I usually have some things I want to talk about but often I don't get to some of them because the Spirit leads us in another direction. Trust the Spirit.

[/quote]

Prayer is the key. I don't see my SD every couple months due to the long distance and his heavy schedule. Usually I have a list of things either to discuss or to touch base with. I may not be able to cover all of them, but the Holy Spirit always leads. The Holly Spirit knows the best, pray and trust in Him.

Catechism states:

"According to St. John of the Cross, the person wishing to advance toward perfection should “take care into whose hands he entrusts himself, for as the master is, so will the disciple be, and as the Father is so will be the son.” And further: “In addition to be learned and discreet a director should be experienced… If the spiritual director has no experience of the spiritual life, he will be incapable of leading into it souls whom God is calling to it, and he will not even understand them.” (CCC 2690)

A soul should be very careful with Direction, for St. Vincent Ferrer testifies with the Church that which a soul should obey a Spiritual Director in all things. A number of “modern” directors do not hold this obedience seriously and want not to be a Spiritual Director but a friend.

I suggest reading Ascent to Mount Carmel by St. John of the Cross; St. Theresa of Avila is a good author to look into as well. And bring these works into the Direction with your life testimony. Again keep in mind what the Catechism says, “take care…”. And again, obey.

My spiritual director is the priest who confirmed me. His name is Fr. Ray. He is a very good and holy priest. He gives me very good advice when I need advice from him. I really appreciate all of the help he gives me.

closed #7

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.