Spiritual Directors

I am discerning the priesthood and I was wondering if it is ok to have two spiritual directors and the same time? The reason I ask is because I already have one at my school (a priest that teaches my theology classes) but he is a different priest than my parish's priest (who I respect a great deal). I feel it wouldn't hurt to have two and I'm almost certain that there is nothing in the Church that prevents it but is it discouraged?

[quote="YoungCatholic86, post:1, topic:279776"]
I am discerning the priesthood and I was wondering if it is ok to have two spiritual directors and the same time? The reason I ask is because I already have one at my school (a priest that teaches my theology classes) but he is a different priest than my parish's priest (who I respect a great deal). I feel it wouldn't hurt to have two and I'm almost certain that there is nothing in the Church that prevents it but is it discouraged?

[/quote]

Are you meeting with either priest one on one for instruction and counseling? That is what one does when they have a spiritual director. I think it would be problematic to have two different spiritual directors, especially if they are not aware of each other or coordinating with each other in some capacity. But why don't you ask either priest what they think? Their opinions would count more than mine would.

Ask them, not us! ;) Or at least do them both the courtesy of informing them that you are talking to two priests about your journey.

Good luck! We need new priests.:thumbsup:

[quote="PatriceA, post:2, topic:279776"]
I think it would be problematic to have two different spiritual directors, especially if they are not aware of each other or coordinating with each other in some capacity.

[/quote]

As I understand it, they are pretty good friends. So I should ask them if they are both willing to be spiritual directors simultaneously?

[quote="triumphguy, post:3, topic:279776"]
Ask them, not us! ;) Or at least do them both the courtesy of informing them that you are talking to two priests about your journey.

Good luck! We need new priests.:thumbsup:

[/quote]

Thank you both and will do! :)

[quote="YoungCatholic86, post:4, topic:279776"]
As I understand it, they are pretty good friends. So I should ask them if they are both willing to be spiritual directors simultaneously?

[/quote]

If it was me, I'd make sure they both were aware they were my spiritual directors simultaneously.

You should only have one spiritual director.

I concur with Brother! It is like going to two doctors for the same reason....the doctors would not be too thrilled if they knew....even if they are friends. Two of anything can cause confusion...one director is more than enough for anybody to be under...and at times this can even be difficult at times! One director gets to know you very, very personnally and can direct your soul more wisely. He sees your good, your bad and your ugly....

I have been under one for over 25 years now...and graced am I! But he knows me like no under.....:D......:o

One spiritual director at a time. A man cannot serve two masters (lol!)
What would happen if they should each give advice that is contradictory to the other?

Ask God to help you decide; ask both of these holy priests to pray for you as well in your decision making process.

[quote="anonymous_in_fl, post:8, topic:279776"]
One spiritual director at a time. A man cannot serve two masters (lol!)
What would happen if they should each give advice that is contradictory to the other?

Ask God to help you decide; ask both of these holy priests to pray for you as well in your decision making process.

[/quote]

Not only that but what would happen is that a person with more than one spiritual director would start to share only parts of what should be shared with each director. Going to the one that he thought would give the best outcome rather than being open to true direction.

Then that means the directee would know its director well enough. ;)Like going to different doctors for different pain killers! LOL! You know the doctor who is more open to giving narcotics, than another…just an analogy.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.