Spiritual Retreat Vs. Joining Monastary? Need Advise?

Hi Everyone,

I would appreciate some advise. Long story short: I wanted to test a vocation by joining a monastery for a couple week> months ago I spoke to a priest at my parish about it> He contacted an abbey and they accecpted me to come.

Finally I decided that I would go in this week. However, the same priest who organised for me to go there just sent me an email which said.

"The abbey has a spiritual retreat in silence, They advise you to come 2 weeks later, 25th of march".

So the question: Does this "Spiritual retreat" mean that I will not be in the abbey itself? It's confusing because the priest is not a native english speaker so I'm not sure exactly what he meant by that. I was originally under the impression that I would be joining the abbey for 2 weeks.

What do you (people of this forum) make of this? Does it just mean that I will have to be entirely silent?

Please Advise,
Thanks
Lucien

[quote="lucien123, post:1, topic:276830"]
Hi Everyone,

I would appreciate some advise. Long story short: I wanted to test a vocation by joining a monastery for a couple week> months ago I spoke to a priest at my parish about it> He contacted an abbey and they accecpted me to come.

Finally I decided that I would go in this week. However, the same priest who organised for me to go there just sent me an email which said.

"The abbey has a spiritual retreat in silence, They advise you to come 2 weeks later, 25th of march".

So the question: Does this "Spiritual retreat" mean that I will not be in the abbey itself? It's confusing because the priest is not a native english speaker so I'm not sure exactly what he meant by that. I was originally under the impression that I would be joining the abbey for 2 weeks.

What do you (people of this forum) make of this? Does it just mean that I will have to be entirely silent?

Please Advise,
Thanks
Lucien

[/quote]

I would probably have understood your priest to mean that the abbey is doing a spiritual retreat in silence now, so it would be best for you to come later (hard to meet you, give you orientation, and give you a representative experience all in silence). Why not just write him back and ask what he meant?

Thanks for the reply. I just realised I missed out one sentence from his quote, where he says I would be lonely with no one around. I'll just edit that now.

By this point, you should be communicating with the monastery directly and not through your priest.

The relationship you’re describing of trial runs at a monastery usually start small and increase in length. You might come as a weekend visitor, then come back a month or two later for 5 days to stay behind the enclosure or close to it, then come back for a couple weeks with them, and so on. How much you participate in their full schedule usually starts at 0 on the first trip and increases through the visits and subsequent formation.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.