Spirituality and depression

I have struggled with depression on and off throughout my adult life. The last few months have gotten increasingly difficult in some ways. However, I find that when I feel the most depressed, I also feel the most ‘spiritual’. Does anyone else get this? Do you think this is a ‘good’ thing if the depression causes me to turn more towards Christ? I am glad about that part, but I don’t like the depression part…

thanks in advance for your thoughts.:confused:

Praying for you from today’s Liturgy of the Hours:

Prayers and Intercessions

Christ, by pouring out his blood, has won for himself a new people. Let us worship him and humbly ask:

• Lord, remember your people.

Our King and Redeemer, listen to your Church as she sings your praises at the start of the day:
teach her to give unceasing glory to your greatness.
You are our hope and our strength: we put our trust in you.
Let us never be put to shame.
Take pity on our weakness. Hurry to help us,
for without you there is nothing we can do.
Remember the poor and forgotten. Let this day not be a burden to them,
but a joy and a consolation.

Our Father, who art in Heaven,
hallowed be thy name.
Thy kingdom come,
thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread,
and forgive us our trespasses
as we forgive those that trespass against us,
and lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil.

Almighty God, creator of a good and beautiful world,
may we joyfully set out on this day in your name,
and fill it with acts of love for you and our brethren.

Through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son,
who lives and reigns with you in the unity of the Holy Spirit,
God for ever and ever.
Amen.

When I was younger, before menopause specifically, I would get depressed as part of my monthly cycle. And YES, I did find it easier at those times to be close to Christ.

But depression (beyond PMS) is a real illness, and should be treated. I can’t tell from your post whether or not you are receiving care for your depression, but if not, please do consider it.

Your question reminds me of one of my favorite quotes from St. Paul (Romans 8:28) - “Everything works together for the good of those who love God.” You can draw good from your depression, and good from the relief of your depression. As little St. Therese would say, everything is grace.

Betsy

Thank you all for the kind words.

I am not currently seeking treatment. I did 20 years ago after my father passed away and it did help pull me out of a truly bad time in my life.

Currently, I think it is mainly a question of “over” everything (work, kids, kids activities, etc) and “under” money…
I am very blessed to have a wonderful husband, but he too is over worked and over stressed, so I hate to dump more on him.

thank you to all for the prayers

I’d like to recommend this book: pauline.org/store/moreinfo/0819870773.html called Surviving Depression. Not that this should be used in place of professional treatment, but you may still find it helpful.

There’s also a journal that can be used along with it here: pauline.org/store/moreinfo/0819871044.html

Sr. Kathryn J. Hermes, the author, writes for “Living Faith” and she is a Daughter of St. Paul.

You may want to take a look at the reviews on Amazon as well, as those are often helpful in making purchasing decisions.

Good luck to you!
~Sally

Depression can also lead to more creativity; e.g. painters and writers can be more than usually inspired when depressed. So feeling more spiritual could be something like that, perhaps. I have known people who stopped taking medication when it interfered with their creativity.

You sound as if you are suffering burnout with too many things on your mind. Is there anything you can eliminate or put aside for awhile?

Workingmomofthree

I know where you are at. I am a working mom of five and have battled depression on and off for throughout the years. My oldest child is nine and my youngest is 10 months. I feel overwhelmed every day with homework, supper, laundry, breakfast, off to school, off to daycare and trying to get to work on time. Money is tight also and I was just thinking about my kids needing boots, mittens, etc. for the coming winter. Kind of daunting. I keep an eye out at second hand store but have found nothing in the sizes I need yet. Hang in there. I’ll be praying for you.

Eight straight years in dealing with depression and i still have a hard time accepting it…Why?,well, people look at you differently, so i keep it to myself. Even my family members walk around the subject… I am a father of five beautiful children and a loving, and suppporting wife who i feel i dont love enough because of the illness.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.