Spiritually Uplifting films

What is the most Spiritually uplifting film you’ve recently seen? doesn’t have to be specifically religious, but by all means mention whatever film you wish.

I really thought the 2011 French film “The Snows of Kilimanjaro” was an absolute masterpiece and the best film on the positives of unionism since “On the Waterfront”. I felt my spirit lift, that film was full of the Gospel abiet in a form that was somewhat unexpected when going in to the cinema. I found it rather surprising that it was French given that country is not exactly known for it’s lack of a privileged lifestyle, but this is a sign of the economic difficulties facing Europe at the moment that such a strong film about the struggles of the poor, and the middle class would emerge.

The other film I recently responded to in a spiritual manner is Amazing Grace from 2004. I hope slavery stays dead and buried in the west, it would be a sad day if it ever returned.

The Mission.

Robert De Niro - Rodrigo Mendoza

Jeremy Irons - Father Gabriel

Chuck Low - Cabeza

Ray McAnally - Altamirano

Jeremy Irons plays a Spanish Jesuit who goes into the South American wilderness to build a mission in the hope of converting the Indians of the region. Robert DeNiro plays a slave hunter who is converted and joins Irons in his mission. When Spain sells the colony to Portugal, they are forced to defend all they have built against the Portugese aggressors.

The film is fantastic from start to end.De Niro plays a fantastic role in the film,as usual.The music by Ennio Morricone , Gabriel’s Oboe is the one that lifts me and humbles me so much i cannot stop crying…

Gabriel’s Oboe music link… youtube.com/watch?v=XoQ2yiS1lsY&feature=related

hope you like it…:slight_smile:

I knew that was going to be the first response… I love that film, it’s a little rebellious(with how it portrays Preists that defy their superiors! the Bishop may have been wrong, but still!) but it’s certainly a classic film. One of Liam Neeson’s more memorable pre-Schindler performances is in there too…

A little suprised you didn’t mention him actually… but then again I guess his character only comes into his own right at the end of the film.

i did miss out Liam Neesons character im sorry,i also left out Jeremy Irons too.it was not intended.

but the character of De Niro was my hero in many ways…

Beautiful music. I’ve never seen the movie and will look for it.

I love it when there are posts about uplifting/faith filled movies. I’m always on the look out for such.

I recently watched St Teresa of Avila with Concha Velasco. Loved it! I’ve been reading her autobiography since.

I absolutely loved The Blind Side, with Sandra Bullock

any body wants to watch the mission its here…

stagevu.com/video/bskmvovgxvmn

hope i don’t get into trouble for this.if so moderator please delete…

That link looks illegal…

And the user is banned.

It’s been a long time since I’ve seen “The Mission,” but I remember it being a great movie.

“The Blind Side” is a great example of how we should all live as Christians.

For me, the most recent uplifting films are the Kendrick brothers’ movies: “Fireproof,” “Courageous,” and “Facing the Giants.”

I would also add “Molokai: The Story of Father Damien” to the list. So happy when I looked him up a few years back and saw he was canonized as a Saint.

I liked “The Island”, it’s a Russian film about Orthodox monks in the far north. The protagonist is what the Russians call a “Starets”, he’s basically a Padre Pio type of mystic.
It’s subtitled, but it’s really worth it. It’s on Netflix.

Colin,

This is a fine question. It very much depends on the subjective experience of the viewer, however.

In terms of “insightful” films of spiritual value, I believe “Tree of Life” is perhaps one of the finest I’ve seen in recent years. If you are not familiar with it, or wish for a lens through which to experience it you might enjoy this reaction I have written here.

Others, for me, include “In Bruges” (reaction here), “Seven Pounds” and “The American”.

These are just a few over the last couple of years which, I believe, have spiritual depth. To repeat, however, evaluations are subjective experience and so, in the case of The American, which is full of nudity, if that is going to be a distraction, then it might not be experienced as meaningful spiritually. In Bruges and Seven Pounds also, I would expect, raise issues which some viewers will be distracted by.

But … you asked and those are four I want to mention.

KW.
mymusingsonfilm.wordpress.com/

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.