Spirtual Life issues

Hello there,
Well, here is my dilema. I’m 16 yrs old, and I am what you would call a cradle Catholic. I’ve been heavily influenced by religion. A few years ago, I had problems with my prayer life, and i sort of turned away from Jesus. I recently returned. I go to Church every Sunday, go to religion, pray, read about saints, and I do good works. I want to live my life for God, but I keep getting myself tangled in all sorts of messes. I pray, and pray for God’s guidance, but it seems to always be getting worse. I will never lose faith in the Lord, because I know He’s always looking out for me. But, I get discouraged.

Can someone give me some advice? What should I do?

God Bless,
Jeanne

I’m not sure what you mean by “all sorts of messes.” If you mean you are falling into sin, the best remedy is frequent Confession, preferably to one good priest who will get to know you well and be able to guide you.

It also helps not to have to “go it alone.” People your age are surrounded by all kinds of worldly influences. It’s good to have a spiritual companion, someone who can guide you, someone you can be accountable to. Is there someone in your life who is leading what seems to be a good, holy Catholic Christian life? Perhaps an aunt, church youth group leader, religious sister (nun), adult woman in your parish, etc., whom you could meet with on a regular basis (perhaps once every few weeks) to check in on your spiritual progress, pray together, give you suggestions. If you don’t know anyone like this, ask your pastor (or the priest you go to for Confession) for a recommendation.

Jeanne, I don’t know what you mean by getting tangled in messes :slight_smile:
But while we need God’s help and grace, we also need to take responsibility for our decisions and choices as I’m sure you’ll realise.

We need to be guided by Jesus’s direction to us to treat others as we would like to be treated, as friends, as parents. When I say as friends, I don’t mean we give into our friends if they want us to do anything unwise or wrong, whether it’s our boyfriend or the girls we’re friendly with. We try to be as respectful and kind to our parents as we hope our children will be some day.

When Jesus said, love others as you love yourself, there is an intrinsic command to love yourself…this doesn’t mean in a selfish way, but according to what’s best for you as a daughter of God.
We need to be guided by Jesus’ teachings to love each other and Him.

I don’t know if I’ve said anything that helps,
but I will pray for you, Jeanne

It is easy to get i messes. :frowning: Maybe a priest or spiritual director might help.

Have you prayed daily the Divine Mercy chaplet, Litany of Humility, and the Daily Rosary. I say each prayer daily with enormous benefit. :smiley:

Here is a Most Holy Rosary testimony:
For success in one’s vocation in life
"I think that I did not miss a single day in reciting it, including in the most terrible times of battle when I had no rest night or day. How often did I see her manifest intercession in the decisions which I made in choosing a precise tactic. Take then, the advice of an old soldier seasoned by experience: Do not neglect the recitation of the Rosary for any reason." – Marshal Foch, great military leader of WWI.

As for the Divine Mercy chaplet, here is a testimony from Divine Mercy in My Soul The Diary of St. Maria Faustina:

1731 Today I was awakened by a great storm. The wind was raging, and it was raining in torrents, thunderbolts striking again and again. I began to pray that the storm would do no harm, when I heard the words: Say the chaplet I have taught you, and the storm will cease. I began immediately to say the chaplet and hadn’t even finished it when the storm suddenly ceased, and I heard the words: Through the chaplet you will obtain everything, if what you ask for is compatible with My will.

saint-faustina.com/Diary/DMIMS34.shtml

1728 Write: I am Thrice Holy, and I detest the smallest sin. I cannot love a soul which is stained with sin; but when it repents, there is no limit to My generosity toward it. My mercy embraces and justifies it. With My mercy, I pursue sinners along all their paths, and My Heart rejoices when they return to Me. I forget the bitterness with which they fed My Heart and rejoice at their return.

Tell sinners that no one shall escape My Hand; if they run away from My Merciful Heart, they will fall into My Just Hands. Tell sinners that I am always waiting for them, that I listen intently to the beating of their heart… when will it beat for Me? Write, that I am speaking to them through the remorse of conscience, through their failures and sufferings, through thunderstorms, through the voice of the Church. And if they bring all My graces to naught, I begin to be angry with them, leaving them alone and giving them what they want.

I would really recommend reading that diary, as she starts writing about herself when she was only about 18 years old, and the diary is a revelation to her about the LOVE and MERCY of Christ, how these are God’s greatest attributes. :slight_smile:

St. Therese of Liseux’s Autobiography: The Story of a Soul is also amazing, particularly because St. Therese of Liseux entered a convent in her teens and died at 24, but was still called the greatest saint of modern times. Another key aspect of St. Therese of Liseux’s legacy is how she inspired Mother Teresa.

Mother Teresa was originally born Agnes Gonxha Bojaxhiu and she rename herself after St. Therese of Liseux. She was a former British citizen of Albanian descent. Yet, she became one of the greatest missionaries that the world has ever known, winning a Noble Peace Prize in 1979, India’s highest honor the Bharat Ratna (“Jewel of India”) in 1980, and being popularly voted the greatet Indian since the country’s independence in 1947 (excluding Gandhi from consideration) by Indian magazine Outlook in 2002. It may be a wonderful and inspiring coincidence, which is the same definition that some have of a miracle, that Therese’s missionary desire did not die with her at 24 but lived on in Mother Teresa. Even Mother Teresa’s book on Words of Love is remarkably similar to the autobiography of St. Therese of Liseux: The Story of a Soul gutenberg.org/etext/16772

If you are already saying a daily Rosary, join the Rosary Confraternity :slight_smile: :stuck_out_tongue: :slight_smile: Rosary Confraternity Enrollment rosary-center.org/nconform.htm (As Pope Leo XIII said in his encyclical on the Confraternity, *“Whenever a person fulfills his obligation of reciting the Rosary according to the rule of the Confraternity, he includes in his intentions all its members and they render him the same service many times over.” * Each member includes deceased fellow members as well; and thus he knows that in turn he will be included in the prayers of hundreds of thousands both now and hereafter.

*Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with Thee. Blessed art Thou among women and blessed is the fruit of Thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death. Amen. *

Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse. Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse. Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse.

For the sake of his sorrowful passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world! For the sake of his sorrowful passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world! For the sake of his sorrowful passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world!

O Mary, conceived without sin, pray for us who have recourse to thee!
Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary, pray for us!

*Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with Thee. Blessed art Thou among women and blessed is the fruit of Thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death. Amen. *

You hang in there and keep asking, seeking, and knocking. Our Church teaches that the struggle against sin is life-long and that this struggle will produce character in those who persevere -and that God will grant grace for this purpose to any that ask.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.