Split and Edited Title: Catholic Vs Baptist Soteriology Discussion

(Edited for New Topic Thread)
Judged for what, the blood of Jesus Christ has washed all my sins away, past present and future. Amen & Amen

I suspect He’ll ask why you persecuted His Church, Saul. :wink:

Have you read “Home Sweet Rome” by Scott/Kimberly Hanh? Try it and see the difference.

My sister-in-law gave me “Truth Encounter” by Anthony Pezzotta, an ex-catholic priest. After reading, i promised myself never to touch any books by ex-catholics, ever. I don’t wanna read junks it gives me migraine… As Father Manuel P. Duetao said in his book, UNANSWERABLE ANSWERS (a companion to TRUTH ENCOUNTER): “Some points raised by Pezzotta do not deserved the space they might occupy. Apparently (and it is very apparent) he was not only trying to justify why he left the Church and his priesthood, he is even trying to convince himself that what he did is right. His conscience is very much bothering him”…And after reading Pezzotta’s piece, I aggree with Father Duetao.

Now I can curse, abuse, kill, commit adultery, etc.since Jesus Christ has washed away even my WHAT…future sins!!!:tsktsk::nope: :banghead:

Why would he ask me that, when I am a part of his Church?

And I suppose that Catholic’s do’nt do that?

Do you bash the Catholic Church? If not, then no, you aren’t persecuting His Body.

Don’t do what??? As it was we were talking about future sins and salvation, so no Catholics don’t do that. We believe that salvation is by God’s grace but it can be lost through our own fault:
Hebrews 5: 8 And whereas indeed he was the Son of God, he learned obedience by the things which he suffered: 9 And being consummated, he became, to all that obey him, the cause of eternal salvation.
All that obey him… does that sound like OSAS?

or Peter 3:14 Wherefore, dearly beloved, waiting for these things, be diligent that you may be found before him unspotted and blameless in peace. 15 And account the longsuffering of our Lord, salvation; as also our most dear brother Paul, according to the wisdom given him, hath written to you: 16 As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are certain things hard to be understood, which the unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, to their own destruction. 17 You therefore, brethren, knowing these things before, take heed, lest being led aside by the error of the unwise, you fall from your own steadfastness. 18 But grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. To him be glory both now and unto the day of eternity. Amen.

I could go on and on… but I won’t… pick up your Bible and read about salvation. It is a gift that must be cherished and protected from sin…

Okay, allischalmers, you laid down the statement. Where does the Catholic Church teach that all future sins are wiped clean to one who is baptized?

I have been reading my Bible, let me see, if I remember correcly, about forty years. I think I know what the Bible says about salvation.

NotWorthy
If you go back to post 16 and if I am interpeting it right “queenofpeace” is implying that because I beleive that my future sins have been washed way by the blood of Jesus Christ that I beleive that I can just go and sin away. That’s not at all what Baptist beleive.

I was not talking about what the Catholic Church teaches

Not if you are still a Baptist! [said with a humorous intent! Please accept this as gentle and good-natured teasing! :slight_smile: ]

Thank you, my friend!!! We’re good! :wink:

Although, my nephew is a devout Baptist, and he seems to think that none of his future sins will “stick” to him. He lives a good and wholesome life. But, nonetheless, he feels that if he were to commit vile sins, that his “Salvation” will prevent these sins from staining his soul.

As a former Baptist, I can honestly say that I had no comprehension of the cost or price of everyday sin to my soul, let alone those extraordinary sins that we may fall into, that we as Catholics call mortal sin. We had this idea, although not really one that was explicitly taught ver batem, that sin was not something that a true Christian sought out but that it was nonetheless covered and not to be fretted over. But what lies behind that, and is therefore dangerous, is the fact that sin destroys the soul and that fact (or what needs to happen to remedy this) is not really ever addressed satisfactorily.

Even if we believed that by faith alone all our sins, past, present and future, were already forgiven at the moment of spiritual awakening, (or the born again experience of faith in Christ) what we failed to grasp was that all sin, whether of the flesh or of the soul, destroys the soul, irregardless of the “eternal punishment of hell” issue.

I could never quite understand how, if my sins were mainly spiritual in nature, and not the typical sins of the flesh, how was the death of my body going to remedy the decay of my soul? How was I going to instantly be transformed into a sinless being when a lifetime was not producing the desired result? I knew that Satan’s sin was purely spiritual, his body had nothing to do with his fall. What was going to keep me from my propensity toward spiritual sin after the death of my body?

This is something that always bothered me, even though I could not articulate it without causing great concern in those around me. You see, my conscience was telling me that something else needed to happen, but my theology didn’t require it. And to be honest, living a life that was pleasing to God was always stressed, and being transformed into the image of Christ was believed and taught, but we were very careful to not say it was required apart from faith alone, for salvation.

So, my soul was becoming polluted and destroyed by sin, and my theology told me not to worry, my faith in Christ’s atonement alone was sufficient. Needless to say, I don’t believe that dangerous doctrine anymore, and have found what Christ had intended for me from the beginning, a means to cleanse my soul from the affects of sin along with the future salvation of the whole person, all being done through Christ’s precious blood and the grace he bestows through repentance and reconciliation.

Catholic conversion stories

Originally Posted by allischalmers
NotWorthy
If you go back to post 16 and if I am interpeting it right “queenofpeace” is implying that because I beleive that my future sins have been washed way by the blood of Jesus Christ that I beleive that I can just go and sin away. That’s not at all what Baptist beleive.

I was not talking about what the Catholic Church teaches

Then what do you mean “future sins”. Is there any possibility that “future sins” will not be washed away?..

When God saves a person by the power of the Gospel and the work of the Holy Spirit a number if thing happen. First all your sins are washed away by the blood of Jesus Christ. (1 John 1:7) Your soul is as pure as gold. Another thing that happen is that you become a new person. (born again)
After we are born again God does not leave us in the world without help. We are indwelled with the Holy Spirit, The Bible tells that "greater is He (Holy Spirit)that is in you than he (Satan) that is in the world and also that sin has no more power over you.
The Bible again tell the God will not allow you the be tempided beyond what you can bear. God gives us a way of ecsape.

AMEN!!! Thank the Lord too because if I didnt have the help of the HS—well let me just say that noone here would like me.:o I realize I am only able to post in love and with charity because of the HS because when I dont want to the HS convicts me and tells me OH YES YOU DO!!:o

So what happens when one sincerely goes through the motions you so accurately described and then falls away into sin, later to repent?

Was the Holy Spirit within him the whole time? If not, How does the Holy Spirit return within him?

We all at one time or another are going to sin but because our sin have already been dealt with when Christ died on the cross there is not stain sin on the soul.
However when we do sin it effects our relationship and followship with God and other Christains. We make that relationship right when we come to God and ask forgiveness.

Here’s an old expression: Gold plated junk is still gold plated junk.

By saying that the blood of the lamb has just covered you and you still sin means the blood of the lamb has not been infused into your very soul. Why, because of our wounded nature, and our tendency to have weak wills due to the fall.
Now, how do we ask for forgivness if our future sins are already forgiven. Now if they are already forgiven why say your sorry, Gods already forgiven them. Then by saying your sorry your just puffing yourself up because you beleive you are already forgiven.

If i remember correctly Jesus said we had to do something to abide in him, so that he might abide in us. And it wasn’t just faith.:slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.