SPLIT: Can one be both Catholic and Protestant?

What is a Catholic/Protestant? You cannot be both.

Actually, you can be. One parent could be Protestant and the other can be a catholic, and they can each respect each others different views by allowing to alternate sundays between protestant church to catholic mass. Catholic and Protestantism isn’t a different religion, there is no reason why one person can believe in both philosophies (not entirely both philosophies) thinking there can be only one side of the fense is simply close minded,.

[quote="C_Del86, post:2, topic:290913"]
Actually, you can be. One parent could be Protestant and the other can be a catholic, and they can each respect each others different views by allowing to alternate sundays between protestant church to catholic mass. Catholic and Protestantism isn't a different religion, there is no reason why one person can believe in both philosophies (not entirely both philosophies) thinking there can be only one side of the fense is simply close minded,.

[/quote]

If you don't go to a Catholic Mass each (and I mean each) Sunday you may be Catholic but you are also gravely sinning. If you don't think you're sinning, you don't believe the teachings of the Church, so why call yourself Catholic? Just say what you are-a Protestant who respects Catholic teaching.

You are wrong. Either you are a Catholic or a Protestant. It is impossible to be both.
It is not permitted for a Catholic to attend a Protestant worship service and such a Catholic would have failed to fulfill their Sunday Mass obligation and would be in a state of mortal sin.

I believe that a Catholic can attend a Protestant worship service in some situations though, correct? Just not in place of their Mass obligation.

Catholics may attend baptisms, weddings and funerals at a Protestant church but not a worship service. Doing that would affirm that the Protestant worship beliefs are correct, and of course they are not.

Nope you are wrong. Comments such as this is what i dont like about most of my brethern christians, thinking there own doctrines are the holy ones from 1st line to the last. Having failure to fulfill sunday mass is not a mortal sin, that is not biblical because during the time of the NT there was no catholicism, therefore you can not suggest that the catholic church has full authority and it’s rules are to be 100% believed in due to “the church says”. We can see through christ that religion will always be just religion.

As the bible says, your belief in God and the way you live your life is the only thing important, there is no right or wrong way to worship him. You can be both, thinking you can’t shows that you are just as close minded as the protestants who think you are sinning and worshiping the devil for praying to saints. You should believe in God, not religion. Jesus came here and gave us an example of how to live, and his teachings was all focused on our humanity and morality as a way to honor god, he never came here and gave us rules and told us doctrines. You are just like the pharisees and the religious people that Jesus told off most of the time because you think there can not be anyway to honor god than your own way (seeing that you claim that not following the mass obligations is a mortal sin). The Pharisees flamed Jesus and his disciples because things they did against the laws of the sabbath, don’t deny that.

Thinking there is a distinction and the things you said here is what you call conceit. You should never think that any form of religion or sect is the only legit way in worshiping God. Believing in God as trinity, believing in Jesus and who he was and did, and showing more of your humanity is the only thing that matters. I was raised in both churches, and i never saw the difference in both of them other than practices, both sides believed in the only important teaching, which was Christ and that God is trinity. There are philosophies i agree/disagree with both sides, and i am open minded to accept that following the rules of religion is not important nor is it a sin against God.

I agree, having recently been welcomed into the Catholic church (just this past easter) you cannot be both as there is a world of difference between the “communion” at protestant churches and the Eucharist at Catholic churches.

At most protestant churches i attended (excepting anglican/Church of England) communion was just one of the things they had to get out of the way because it was in the bible somewhere (there words not mine when asked later) & quite often you could see the boredom on the preachers face. Whereas from my experience watching the priest at Mass for 10 months before being able to take the Eucharist myself you can see the reverence that he has for the Body and Blood of Jesus.

It might seem like something small but this alone has caused me to lose quite a few close “friends” & caused quite a bit of strain with my family since I became a Catholic, much to my sadness and dismay :frowning:

You can be both. Not agreeing with all the dogmas does not make you any less of a christian. Christian is only one religion, having diverse sects should not be seen as a difference and thinking so makes Chrisitianity look problematic that it is the only religion where people think there is a different side of the fence. When you look at religion to be nothing more than an organized philosophy then you can be both. That’s the problem with most conceited christians, they always think their ways of practice and beliefs is the only right one. When you are open minded, there really isn’t a right way to practice or worship god. If there was, Catholicism nor Protestantism would still be on the losing end because the majority of dogma was not done by the apostles. The apostles still worshiped in the style of a jew. They didn’t pray to saints or any of the majority of the certain mass rules, so there is no reason to think there is only one specific way to be a christian.

[quote="C_Del86, post:9, topic:290913"]
You can be both.

[/quote]

How can you believe in salvation by faith and works and salvation by faith alone at the same time?

Not agreeing with all the dogmas does not make you any less of a christian.

It makes an individual not truly Catholic, however.

Christian is only one religion, having diverse sects should not be seen as a difference and thinking so makes Chrisitianity look problematic that it is the only religion where people think there is a different side of the fence.

Not acknowledging the vast differences between Lutherans, Catholics, Pentecostals, and Orthodox seems very strange to me, because those differences are undeniable.

Other religions--e.g., Judaism, Islam, and Buddhism--have different sects. This doesn't show that all of the sects are interchangeable and equally faithful to the intent of the founder.

When you look at religion to be nothing more than an organized philosophy then you can be both.

Can one be a Marxist and a capitalist at the same time?

That's the problem with most conceited christians,

You're doing exactly what you're opposing when you condemn others who hold to one particular form of worship as most pleasing to God.

they always think their ways of practice and beliefs is the only right one.

You seem to believe the same thing.

When you are open minded, there really isn't a right way to practice or worship god.

Have you read the book of Revelation--specifically chapters four, five, seven, and eight? There we see one specific kind of worship going on. Are the angels and saints conceited for believing--and showing this through their actions--that worship should be conducted in one way?

If there was, Catholicism nor Protestantism would still be on the losing end because the majority of dogma was not done by the apostles.

Determining the canon of the New Testament wasn't done by the apostles either, and you accept it nonetheless.

The apostles still worshiped in the style of a jew. They didn't pray to saints or any of the majority of the certain mass rules, so there is no reason to think there is only one specific way to be a christian.

What would you say about the data available in the chapters of Revelation given above?

YOU are wrong. A baptised Catholic who rejects any infallible teachings commits not only a mortal sin but heresy.
If you are a baptised Catholic you are a very poorly catechised one because you do know know/understand the teachings of the Church.
A baptised Catholic cannot also be a Protestant. It is IMPOSSIBLE!

[quote="C_Del86, post:9, topic:290913"]
You can be both. Not agreeing with all the dogmas does not make you any less of a christian. Christian is only one religion, having diverse sects should not be seen as a difference and thinking so makes Chrisitianity look problematic that it is the only religion where people think there is a different side of the fence. When you look at religion to be nothing more than an organized philosophy then you can be both. That's the problem with most conceited christians, they always think their ways of practice and beliefs is the only right one. When you are open minded, there really isn't a right way to practice or worship god. If there was, Catholicism nor Protestantism would still be on the losing end because the majority of dogma was not done by the apostles. The apostles still worshiped in the style of a jew. They didn't pray to saints or any of the majority of the certain mass rules, so there is no reason to think there is only one specific way to be a christian.

[/quote]

I'm interested to hear your point of view. (regardless of whether I agree or not) However I would ask that you back up your opinions with historical evidence that I & others can ponder to help us better learn and understand...

But as to your OP the increasingly secular world we live in is gradually changing/has changed the perception of Satan (at least in New Zealand where I live)

As to if there is a translation error that depends on who has done the translation and what agenda (if any) there is behind it. Personally speaking I believe that the writings in the NT regarding Satan are real i.e.for example the temptation of Jesus in Luke 4:1-13 & not figurative as Jesus came & died for us so that Sin/Satan would hold no power over us.

That being said the Catechism of the Catholic Church says the following:

391 Behind the disobedient choice of our first parents lurks a seductive voice, opposed to God, which makes them fall into death out of envy. Scripture and the Church's Tradition see in this being a fallen angel, called "Satan" or the "devil". The Church teaches that Satan was at first a good angel, made by God: "The devil and the other demons were indeed created naturally good by God, but they became evil by their own doing.

392 Scripture speaks of a sin of these angels. This "fall" consists in the free choice of these created spirits, who radically and irrevocably rejected God and his reign. We find a reflection of that rebellion in the tempter's words to our first parents: "You will be like God." The devil "has sinned from the beginning"; he is "a liar and the father of lies"

Food for thought...

You are close minded. You are the type of person who thinks that what my religion says is the one that has to be followed… anything secular is a sin". It’s not. I was baptized catholic, and raised in both churches. Neither one have the correct way to god, there is no need of following system traditions or thinking that all areas need to be fully agreed on ONLY. Your comment towards me can be said against the people who followed Jesus on earth, because they where not practicing the same way as you did, they practiced more in the style of the religious jews living in early ad palestine. Believing in God, believing in Jesus to be God in the flesh and doing good is the only thing needed to be a christian. Catholicism and Protestantism are nothing more than philosophies that go to the same end/point, so being opened to both sides and seeing that neither one has is any more legit than the other is not a sin. Jesus never made those specific rules as a way to god, so quit acting like following/practicing/believing in everything in catholicism ONLY is the way.

My friend, you are my brother in the Lord, but you can not be practicing Catholicism and Protestantism at the same time. The word Protestant alone means you are in opposition to the Catholic church. PROTEST --TANT. Both roads may lead home but only one is the fullness of the faith and they are thologically in clear opposition to each other. I was a big time Protestant at one time, I know.

That is what i see wrong in christians, in both sides. One side will always oppose the other and thing that their own doctrine is the complete 100% accurate faith. As a person who has been exposed to both, and who is open minded with various cultures and philosophy. Protestants and Catholics are not different at all, neither one of them is fully right nor have the right to think so, because in the end the only thing that matters is God and also how you treat the world, living positively. There is no need to worship a certain style because that isn’t a necessity. The Bible itself has books written by various authors who gave their own points of view on God and how he was involved in their environment/setting, which is why most non-christians seem to mistake these as bible contradictions. They’re not, men will always have their own points of view on how to reach God. There is no “one” that is more fullness of faith than the other because faith will always matter if the heart is really in to it, not on routines.

I do cling more to Catholicism due to liking their theological standpoint more than the majority of protestants. I’ve heard more things from Protestants and they seem to think that Christian and Catholic are different religions which is not only invalid but academically fallacious.

[quote="C_Del86, post:15, topic:290913"]
I've heard more things from Protestants and they seem to think that Christian and Catholic are different religions which is not only invalid but academically fallacious.

[/quote]

What do you mean by "invalid [and] academically fallacious"?

But there is one that is the fullness of the faith. Look, I see what your doing and your heart is in the right place , but there is something you must understand. If you have tenants of the RCC that are in opposition to some Protestant denomination you are in conflict with one or the other. If you have one foot on the RCC and another in a Protestant church you are not honoring either. You can not embrace, but not embrace something at the same time. It’s not about just routines, it’s about coming to a knowledge of the truth without having your mind in conflict.

You may say I feel no conflict, that doesn’t change that there is a real conflict. On thing against another conflicts, that’s real.

If you are a baptised Catholic then supporting Protestant beliefs is heresy.
Christ established only one Church and that was the Catholic Church to which he gave authority in matters of faith and morals.
**There is no salvation outside the Catholic Church. **

That is false and something uttered by christians with bad theology. Even if the Christ established one church, the catholic church should not be mentioned because catholicism came into existence when Rome adopted christianity.
There is salvation in anyway to God, saying their isn’t shows conceitedness.

It isn’t “narrow-minded” to say there can be no Catholic Protestants. It is a statement of fact. That’s like saying it’s narrow-minded for us to say that if you’re on the Yankees you’re not on the Red Sox (for the few here who don’t get the reference baseball teams :smiley: ). You can’t be a “Yankee-Red Sock”. It makes no sense.

And you, C_Del86, are in such clear opposition to Church teachings I really don’t see why you have a problem just accepting that you’re a Protestant who respects Catholic theology and certain disciplines.

It’s not an insult, if you want to be a Protestant knock yourself out, but it’s as nonsensical to be a Catholic-Protestant as it is to be a Yankee-Red Sock. :shrug:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.