SPLIT: Communion

To take Communion or The Lords Supper is a matter for the individual (1 Cor 11:28). The BIBLE tells us of the consequences of taking communion when a person is unworthy.

1 Corinthians 11:27 - 30

Communion is not about the individual recieving the blood, nor does it verify your righteousness. Communion is about the remembrance of the blood (Christs blood) that was shed for our sins!

aaa

Of course it doesn’t verify our righteousness, it forgives our sins and makes our righteousness possible. His body and blood are given to us at the Eucharist, as instituted by Christ Himself. It is also a remembrance of His once for all sacrifice.

Jon

Ok, I’ll bite.

What makes one worthy?

Interesting thing about Communion, it is both for the individual and the community. That’s how the community is One in God, through the Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity of the Lord Jesus Christ. The Eucharist is the source and summit of our faith. He is both for the individual and for the whole. We are one body in Him. By the infinite merits of His Sacrifice (read life, death, and resurrection) and our participation in Him through the Communion feast/Eucharist, we are one. Our Father draws us to Lord Jesus where we are remade into a new creation, the Bride of Christ, united by His Body into His Body.

Let’s look at the text of Sacred Scripture with a tad bit more of the context:

11 For** I received from the Lord what I also handed on to you**, that the Lord Jesus, on the night he was handed over, took bread,
and, after he had given thanks, broke it and said, "This is my body that is for you. Do this in remembrance of me."
In the same way also the cup, after supper, saying, "This cup is the new covenant in my blood. Do this, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of me."
For as often as you eat this bread and drink the cup, you proclaim the death of the Lord until he comes.
**Therefore whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord unworthily will have to answer for the body and blood of the Lord. **12
A person should examine himself, 13 and so eat the bread and drink the cup.
For anyone who eats and drinks without discerning the body, eats and drinks judgment 14 on himself.
That is why many among you are ill and infirm, and a considerable number are dying.
If we discerned ourselves, we would not be under judgment;
but since we are judged by (the) Lord, we are being disciplined so that we may not be condemned along with the world.

All interpretation of Sacred Scripture needs to be verified through the Magisterium and Sacred Tradition, otherwise you may end up believing anything. YOU, the individual, are not guaranteed to be free from error when learning or interpreting Sacred Scripture. The promise to by guided by the Holy Spirit into “all things” was given to the Apostles and those who followed after them in their place.

Interesting word (remembrance) it does not just mean thinking about something in the distant past.

The word translated remembrance is translated In this case poorly from the greek word “anamnesis” sorry for any spelling errors. That word implies more than just thinking about something over and done with.

In fact it means much more than Protestants will never know, it means making a thing or event present agian.

And that is where we Catholics get the sacrifice of the Mass from. We do not put Jesus back on the cross and kill him over and over. It means that we go back in time, and are re-presenting the one sacrifice of the Cross.

It gets more complicated than that, but is my poor attempt to explain it in a nutshell.

BTW, Catholics never “take” Holy Communion, we receive it.

You say receiving Communion is a matter for the individual. But if you consider who the letter was written too, it was a matter for the Church to teach the people. Taking the verse you put in parentheses, it states to let a man prove himself and so let him…"

1Co 11:28 But let a man prove himself: and so let him eat of that bread and drink of the chalice.

In the same letter, from St. Paul, verse 26 states, “as often as you shall eat this bread and drink the chalice, you shall shew…”

1Co 11:26 For as often as you shall eat this bread and drink the chalice, you shall shew the death of the Lord, until he come.

The Greek word for “shew” is kataggellō.

G2605
καταγγέλλω
kataggellō
kat-ang-gel’-lo
From G2596 and the base of G32; to proclaim, promulgate: - declare, preach, shew, speak of, teach.

So, by eating the bread and drinking of the chalice, we proclaim, promulgate, declare, preach, shew, speak of, and teach the death of the Lord, until He come. This is in shows our remembrance of His sacrifice.

I do agree with you concerning the reception of communion unworthily, as St. Paul makes the warning twice in his letter. Those warnings are separated by the instruction specifically to the Church to let a man prove himself and then let him partake. A man and the Church should verify one’s rightesousness prior to receiving communion, so as not to be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord. Being guilty of the body and blood of the Lord, is eating and drinking judgment upon one’s self.

**1Co 11:29 For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily eateth and drinketh judgment to himself, not discerning the body of the Lord. **

The Greek word used for judgement is krima.

G2917
κρίμα
krima
kree’-mah
From G2919; a decision (the function or the effect, for or against “crime”]): - avenge, condemned, condemnation, damnation, + go to law, judgment.

Gabriel of 12;

You got ahead of yourself here; you must take in chapter 10 before coming to any conclusions from chapter 11; Paul is addressing both Gentile and Jewish converts and their abuse of the Eucharistic liturgy as well as their former traditions in the temple, agape meal, and Gentile meals in the form of sacrifices from the report he/Paul recieved from their lack of charity to the Poor and hungry. This is no individual matter in any case, for Paul is addressing the Corinthian Church community as One body of believers. Not to confuse the meals at home which should include charity to others, from the Eucharist meal of the body,blood of Jesus Christ, and the curse that follows them when they abuse the Eucharist.

1Cor.10:14
7 Therefore, my beloved, avoid idolatry.
I am speaking as to sensible people; judge for yourselves what I am saying.
**The cup of blessing that we bless, is it not a participation in the blood of Christ? The bread that we break, is it not a participation in the body of Christ?
Because the loaf of bread is one, we, though many, are one body, for we all partake of the one loaf. **
Look at Israel according to the flesh; are not those who eat the sacrifices participants in the altar?
So what am I saying? That meat sacrificed to idols is anything? Or that an idol is anything?
No, I mean that what they sacrifice, (they sacrifice) to demons, 8 not to God, and I do not want you to become participants with demons.
You cannot drink the cup of the Lord and also the cup of demons. You cannot partake of the table of the Lord and of the table of demons.
Or are we provoking the Lord to jealous anger?
Are we stronger than he?

Now read Chapt. 11;23
11 For I received from the Lord what I also handed on to you, that the Lord Jesus, on the night he was handed over, took bread,
and, after he had given thanks, broke it and said, "This is my body that is for you. Do this in remembrance of me."
In the same way also the cup, after supper, saying, "This cup is the new covenant in my blood. Do this, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of me."
For as often as you eat this bread and drink the cup, you proclaim the death of the Lord until he comes.
Therefore whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord unworthily will have to answer for the body and blood of the Lord. 12
A person should examine himself, 13 and so eat the bread and drink the cup.
For anyone who eats and drinks without discerning the body, eats and drinks judgment 14 on himself.
That is why many among you are ill and infirm, and a considerable number are dying.

Make no mistake here; The rememberance is not a recalling of memory, but an act placed in time by God, to make present “ETERNALLY”. This is the Lamb as though slain in heaven, the Eucharistic sacrifice made present before all ages for the remission of sins eternally before God once and for all. This Love is not a thing of the past, but the Love of God for his children is made present in time always from eternity.

This “Remembrance” word is the same word Jesus uses When God told Moses to remember the passover. To make present always before his people litterally. Jesus the sacrificial lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world commands us to “Eat and drink his body and blood” in the rememberance of the (new passover from death unto eternal life) last supper. This is the real proclaming of the death of the Lord until he comes, for in the Eucharist is the Perfect sacrifice God accepts, for we truly have a body, and blood to proclaim in the eternal act of salvation from God himself.

Peace be with you

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.