SPLIT: Discuss and Refute These Anti-Catholic Allegations

The prophecies in the bible we must remember are not of any private interpretation, the reason the pope is targeted as the antichrist because he keeps filling prophecy in the bible.

Why do people keep saying that 666 can be applied to anyone if you try. the fact is the pope is the only one that has many names which equal 666 and matches prophecy exactly.

Open up the bible ‘KJV’ as its the best English translation we have.
Dont believe what your ministers or leaders tell you, that goes to catholics and christians.

Todays world, the catholic church is trying to enforce sunday laws. yet the catholics long time ago changed the sabbath to from saturday to sunday and the vatican has admitted to it.

We know the sabbath is gods seal, the day that represents god, creater of heaven and earth. Its the 7th day, when did sunday become the 7th?

We know satan wants worship. we know the roman catholic church say sunday is the the ‘mark’ of authority.
When you worship god on sunday, who are you calling god?
The christians and others have taken onboard the catholic change in sabbath. So christians arent any better either.

Why cant people just believe in gods book. forget about what our ministers say, if you cant validate it in the bible, ignore it.

The thing that really annoys me is that name reverend and father. it is of upmost blasphemy for man to carry that title. ESPECIALLY HOLY FATHER!

This is a strong informative post. not an attack, not an insult. just what the bible says.

Fellow christians and catholics

God bless:thumbsup:

The bible explains itself. Trust god, not man.

Recommended site (Link Removed Per Banned Topics Policy 17)

Hi Luke,

it appears you need to do just a little more study on several topics:

#1 - who is your “prophet” and what biblical proof do you have that she really was a “prophet”? (i’ve checked. there is none)

#2 - it is quite interesting that one of the first anti-catholic arguments is that “pope” appears nowhere in scripture (of course, this is said by people who have not read Isaiah 22 nor Matthew 16, nor read the early church fathers). ironically, they will then claim that the “666” and “the beast” of Revelation refers to the “pope”. so, which is it? is “pope” in the bible or not?

#3 - you appear to have little or no knowledge of how your bible came into existence. dig into this subject and some great things might come to light for you.

#4 - KJV as “the best English translation”? possibly, though it’s not the first…and the first KJV’s included all 73 books of the bible, not the 67 that remain today. to which version were you referring…and why would you think that “English” is even the best way to read the bible? in what what language(s) did Christians read the bible for the 1200+ years before the KJV appeared in 1611?

#5 - the real problem is that of authority. who has it, how did they get it, and do they “pass it on” to others within their church? (do your current General Conference Presidents have such authority? if so, where did they get it? if not, why would you listen to them?)

#6 - how many churches (denominations/sects) SHOULD there be? (HINT: how many did Jesus and the apostles start?)

i would strongly suggest you dig for these answers outside your current box. otherwise, it is like trying to justify the existence of algebra or calculus by only looking at basic addition and subtraction. sure, it’s all math, but one school encompasses far more than the other(s).

also, have you even read the rebuttal to the article mentioned in this thread? ? ?

in Christ,

jt

Hi Luke,

i forgot to mention a few questions i ask SDA’s and folks of other sects…

• you are very tied to the DAY on which “the Sabbath” is observed, (and i commend you for your literal observance of God’s Holy Day), but do you take other passages and commands nearly as literally? (John 6 and all biblical references to the Lords Supper comes to mind)

• are you as tied to the commandment against adultery? by this i mean, does your sect allow divorce and remarriage, which (according to our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ) constitutes an on-going act of adultery?

just some things to consider as you scrutinize your tradition.

in Christ,

jt

Facts!

“We hold upon this earth the place of God almighty.” – Pope Leo XIII, Encyclical Letter, June 20, 1894.

“The Pope is not only the representative of Jesus Christ, but he is Jesus Christ, Himself, hidden under the veil of human flesh.” – Catholic National, July 1895.

“The Pope and God are the same, so he has all power in Heaven and earth.” Pope Pius V, quoted in Barclay, Chapter XXVII, p. 218, “Cities Petrus Bertanous.”

Absolute blasphemy

Lets get to mary, she was jesus’ mother but she was human, only human, the bible says when we die we are sleeping with no conscience or knowledge and take no part in anything under the sun.

One of the last prophecies to be fulfilled before the return of Christ is…

* 1 Timothy 4:1 "Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;

As many are aware, today we see the majority of religions, including some Christians denominations are proclaiming that prayers to the dead are acceptable and should be done often if the dead are in fact considered a saint. Most teach that when a person dies they go to a spirit world where they can be contacted by us in prayer, or by a psychic or spirit guide in a séance. Some also teach re-incarnation where the soul goes from one life to the next forever in the hopes of cultivating enough wisdom to become perfect and therefore eternal in nature. Then there are those that teach the spirit of the deceased can actually haunt people if the deceased had been wronged in some major way in their mortal life. And finally, some teach that dead saints are allowed to come back from heaven, physically appear unto us and warn us of mortal dangers if we don’t heed their Heavenly warnings and follow their advice. One of these denominations even go so far as to claim that the mother of Jesus Christ Himself appears from time to time to relay messages from heaven.
Before making a judgment about which church is correct, if any. Lets go to the Bible and see what the Bible has to say about where we go when we die. We’re going to the Bible because these are churches and religions we are investigating. If we were investigating something someone told us about how to properly tune an engine we would go to the mechanics manual of that particular engine to find out if what was being said or done was correct and acceptable for that engine type. These are churches we’re dealing with which claim to be teaching us what the Bible says about these topics, so lets see if they’re right.

* Psalms 6:3-5 My soul is also sore vexed: but thou, O LORD, how long? Return, O LORD, deliver my soul: oh save me for thy mercies' sake. For in death there is no remembrance of thee: in the grave who shall give thee thanks?

The Psalmist is praying for deliverance to arrive before death here because he knows he won’t have the ability to remember anything from the grave, nor can he give thanks from the grave.

* Psalms 115:17 The dead praise not the LORD, neither any that go down into silence.
* Psalms 146:4 His breath goeth forth, he returneth to his earth; in that very day his thoughts perish
* Ecclesiastes 9:5,6  For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten. Also their love, and their hatred, and their envy, is now perished; neither have they any more a portion for ever in any thing that is done under the sun.

In Isaiah we see that king Hezekia was sick and Isaiah told him he was about to die. The king turned his face to the wall and prayed. In his prayer he says the following…

* Isaiah 38:18-19, "For the grave cannot praise thee, death can not celebrate thee: they that go down into the pit cannot hope for thy truth. The living, the living, he shall praise thee, as I do this day: the father to the children shall make known thy truth."

My Point is, mary was a great woman but a woman, not divine, she calls jesus her savior so she was a sinner otherwise he wouldnt be her savior. we know when we die we are in deep sleep till the last days. mary cannot hear or know anything because she is dead.

Praying to mary is putting god before mary, thats not gods will. Do not worship any idol. that does include mary’s statue.

Catholic scripture includes scriputers made my catholic leaders, the bible is suppose to be gods word. by accepting there doctrines, are catholics calling the leaders holy? if they are thats blasphemy.
If there not holy then the doctrine should be part of scipture.
God is in the bible, look there, not at your ministers.

Why do catholics and Christians wear the crucifix or the cross, If your grandmother was brutally murdered, would you make an idol of her mutilated body around your neck? it sounds disturbing because it is. why is jesus shown mutilated, that is not love at all. the cross was used to murder the son of god, HIS SON!. The cross is a murder weapon! The Pope holds on his staff a mutilated jesus, absolutely disgusting. Are you going to hang god mutilated around your body too?

Come on people, how can people say the crucifix reminds us of what jesus died for. HE DIED FOR THE TEN COMMANDMENTS, HE DIED FOR A SINS TO BE FORGIVEN! Why dont you wear the ten commandments around your neck, that is in the bible.

If you knew what the roman catholic church is done, you would be horrified and distraught. its absolutely disgusting, wrong, vile and absolute sin.
They are currently facing trial over murdering millions of people over the years.

catholics and christians, embrace each other and find truth. if the bible doesnt agree with you, your most likely wrong.

Read the bible

Hi Luke,

you know what the ironic thing is? i used to think and believe VERY similarly to you. no, i wasn’t a follower of Ellen White, but i bought into many of the same myths and twists that you have. again, my main advice to you is to research outside of your box.

first, why do you write “Catholics and Christians” as if they are two different groups? this belies your ignorance of basic definitions and Christian history. (HINT: the “Catholic/Universal Church” is the oldest Christian “denomination” on the planet). my guess is that you meant to write, “Catholics and Protest-ants”.

your view of the Catholic view of Mary also shows a severe lack of study, but is beyond the scope of this thread - i’m sure you can find many other threads here explaining the truth.

what was it, in your opinion, that made Mary “great” (in your own words above).

your comments about “Catholic scriptures” also belie your ignorance on the canons and how they came to be. check it out if you are seriously interested…but again, you’ll need to look oustide your box.

the crucifix? now there is a great one! do you recall Jesus’ words, “Greater love hath no man than to lay down His life for His friends?”. that is why Christians have worn the crucifix and hung it in churches for centuries…millenia actually. like Paul wrote, “we preach Christ, and Him crucified…” and before you think on a tangent that Catholics somehow don’t believe in the Resurrection, don’t forget that Easter (Resurrection Sunday) was one of the very first Holy Days decreed by the church. incidentally, i’m guessing that since Christ’s Masse, Easter, All Soul’s Day and others aren’t commanded in scripture that you have chosen not to observe any of them? but back to the crucifix…

wear the 10 commandments around a neck, because “that’s in the bible?” are you implying that Jesus dying on the cross is NOT in the bible? interesting arguments…

one thing in your diatribe i will agree with: that the catholic church (because it is filled with imperfect humans like you and me) HAS done terrible things…but that is the PEOPLE doing these things, not “the Church”. either way, the bible guaranteed the church would be filled with imperfect people when He chose 12 imperfect apostles. the mystery is this: it is a perfect Church, a perfect Bride, filled with imperfect people.

i hope you will keep digging and reading!

; )

in Christ,

jt

Hi there

I do thankyou for your reply and it is appreciated what you have said. The reason i said mary a great woman is because she is important as she is the mother of jesus and that catholics find her important.

I do apologise about the 10 commandment and wearing it because it complete miss wrote that so i take responsibility for that.
What i meant is if there is anything to hold onto or wear, it would be the 10 commandments.

“These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts…Tie them as symbols on your HANDS and bind them on your FOREHEADS” Deuteronomy 6:6.

Im not implying in anyway that jesus dieing on the cross isnt in the bible. its history, thats what happenned, but i dont recall the bible saying anything about wearing a crucifix. Jesus died on the cross for a reason but that doesnt make the cross a good thing.

remnantofgod.org/10-rcc.htm

The above link refers to the roman catholic 10 commandments to the bible commandments, they are different. Bible commandments are not be changed yet they have. id like your opinion because i assume your catholic so im wondering if the true catholic commandments are the same or different to the original commandments, thanks. im here to learn aswell and i welcome your words:thumbsup:

remnantofgod.org/idols.htm valid points there.

take care and thanks for the reply

Im sorry if i came across the wrong way and yes i do need to keep on digging and i hope i havent upset anyone.

The important thing is that if we find a qoute in the bible and compare it. if jesus spoke something and paul spoke another, we should trust jesus. if god said one thing and peter said another, we should believe god.

Thanks for the reply, take care.

First i must clarify one thing, im not a 7th day adventist, im not a believer in a certain churches understanding or ways.

I believe in the bible, jesus and god. the sabbath was changed thats true. the part you mentioned about adultary, if jesus says it is an ongoing act of adultary, fair enough.

I must also say i am not part of the remnantofgod ministry, its just a great site that only mentions things that can be backed up by the bible, historically, scientifically and mathematically.

the sabbath day is saturday, no matter how you look at it, sunday was changed. Since March 7, 321AD the Roman Catholic beast has been attempting to convince Christians the world over that the 7th day Sabbath was “made for Jew” and not for MAN as Christ Jesus the Lord declared in Mark 2:27. Truth is, just after Pope Constantine declared all Christians must keep Sunday holy instead of the Christian Sabbath of Saturday, he noticed some would not go along with his demands. So 11 years later another laws was passed by that same pope that made the true 7th day Sabbath ILLEGAL and punishable by DEATH! All of the early martyrs were in fact Sabbath keepers.

You mentioned tradition, i do not have a tradition, god is not a tradition.

You say you’re not SDA, but your writing is identical to the SDA cult mindset, so I consider you part of the group belief. In my opinion, SDAism is a quasi-Christian, Judaizing heresy that follows a false prophetess. That would include you. (I know you’re not offended, as since you dish it out, you can certainly take it.)

In my internet run-ins with members of the SDA cult, I find them to be brainwashed, beyond the reach of any factual responses. The irony being that they are under the control of their Church leaders to the extent that they suppose Catholics to be under the Pope.

And “yes”, you do follow a tradition: that of SDAism.

hi there

All i know is prophecy is of no private interpretation, it defines itself.
i am not sda, just because sda have similar ideas doesnt mean i am one.

look i didnt mean to dish anything out, i had qoutes from sites which i re read and they were dishin it out so i am sorry.

I take responsibility for that.

take care and i do take back everything inappropriate, inconsiderate and out of bounds.

This is my last post so take care, please take my apology sincerely.

thankyou all for your replies, cya

I understand these are cut and pasted from anti-Catholic sites. Do you realize a google search shows these quotes with identical quotes and citations as you have here on a multitude of websites? They are copy-pasting from each other.

At any rate, these urban legends are nothing more. You can click here to learn the truth.

The Catholic 10 Commandments are not different from Scripture. Read here. Whoever wrote that claim in the site you linked did not understand what he/she was referencing. The examination of conscience identifies various sins one may commit. This is not a defined doctrine of any kind. Whoever put together the one in the sheet on the site you referenced simply grouped various sins with commandments that relate. Like obeying teachers under the header honor your mother and father. The site you linked to bears false witness that the Catholic Church teaches for instance that “obey your teacher” is somehow replacing the Scriptural 10 commandments as shown in my link above.

You said: <>

This is not what the Bible says. Read Acts 8:

30And Philip ran thither to him, and heard him read the prophet Esaias, and said, Understandest thou what thou readest?

31And he said, H***ow can I, except some man should guide me?*** And he desired Philip that he would come up and sit with him.

Who’s right? You or the Bible?

<<When you worship god on sunday, who are you calling god?>>

Are you so foolish as to say there is a day on which we are NOT supposed to worship and praise God?

Since Christ came is there LESS grace or MORE grace? Is there a day of the week on which we get to be UNholy and profane and live for our own sinful desires?

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Thanks for your reply, this is the kind of response i was hoping for so thankyou, a healthy reply. im just looking for answers and uve helped me so thanks i appreciate your honesty. god bless :thumbsup:

I didn’t see any reply on the whole Saturday vs. Sunday issue.

So let me just say this…

Jesus is God **

John 1:1-2

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

2 He was with God in the beginning.

The “Word” is Jesus not something.

Yes God the Father gave us the Sabbath and God the Son told us…

Mark 2:27
Then he said to them, "The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath.

And God rose on Sunday!

Matthew 28
Jesus Is Risen!
1 Now** after the Sabbath**, as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week, Mary Magdalene and the other Mary came to look at the grave.

The first day of the week is Sunday.

Mark 16:2
2Very early on the first day of the week, they came to the tomb when the sun had risen.

**Mark 16:9 **
9[Now after **He had risen early on the first day of the week, He first appeared to Mary Magdalene, from whom He had cast out seven demons.

John 20
The Empty Tomb
1Now on** the first day of the week **Mary Magdalene came early to the tomb, while it was still dark, and saw the stone already taken away from the tomb.

**John 20:19 **
Jesus among His Disciples
19So when it was evening on that day, the first day of the week, and when the doors were shut where the disciples were, for fear of the Jews, **Jesus came **and stood in their midst and said to them, “Peace be with you.”

We are told in these three Gospels that our Lord rose on Sunday

Acts 20:7 **
7On the first day of the week, when we were gathered together to break bread, Paul began talking to them, intending to leave the next day, and he prolonged his message until midnight.
The church broke bread and taught on Sunday

1 Corinthians 16:2 **
2On
the first day of every week **each one of you is to put aside and save, as he may prosper, so that no collections be made when I come.

Pass the plate on Sunday

**Colossians 2:16-17 **
16Therefore **no one is to act as your judge in regard ****to **food or drink or in respect to a festival or a new moon or **a Sabbath day-- **

**17things which are a mere shadow of what is to come; but the substance belongs to Christ. **

Sabbath was “a mere shadow of what is to come;but the subsatnce belongs to Christ”

**Revelation 1:10 **

10I was in the Spirit on the Lord’s day, and I heard behind me a loud voice like the sound of a trumpet,

It is called The Lord’s Day!

**Hebrews 4:8-9 **
8For if Joshua had given them rest, He would not have spoken of another day after that.

9 So there remains a Sabbath rest for the people of God.

God spoke of another day? Yes it is Sunday.

**Hebrews 7:12 **
12For when the priesthood is changed, of necessity there takes place a change of law also.

**We have a new Priest and a new sacrifice, we also have a new day of worship, which is Sunday. **

**Matthew 16:19 **

19"I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; and whatever you bind **on earth **shall have been bound in heaven, and whatever **you loose on earth **shall have been loosed in heaven."

Authority of the church here on earth is given to the Apostles.

I thought you’d like to know
May the Lord walk with you on your search for truth

**1 Timothy 3:15 **

but in case I am delayed, I write so that you will know how one ought to conduct himself in the household of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and support of the truth.

She is dead only if Jesus Christ is dead, or, if she is damned. There is no reason to believe either of these ideas.

Praying to mary is putting god before mary, thats not gods will. Do not worship any idol. that does include mary’s statue.

Catholic scripture includes scriputers made my catholic leaders, the bible is suppose to be gods word. by accepting there doctrines, are catholics calling the leaders holy? if they are thats blasphemy.
If there not holy then the doctrine should be part of scipture.
God is in the bible, look there, not at your ministers.

Why do catholics and Christians wear the crucifix or the cross, If your grandmother was brutally murdered, would you make an idol of her mutilated body around your neck? it sounds disturbing because it is. why is jesus shown mutilated, that is not love at all. the cross was used to murder the son of god, HIS SON!. The cross is a murder weapon! The Pope holds on his staff a mutilated jesus, absolutely disgusting. Are you going to hang god mutilated around your body too?

Come on people, how can people say the crucifix reminds us of what jesus died for. HE DIED FOR THE TEN COMMANDMENTS, HE DIED FOR A SINS TO BE FORGIVEN! Why dont you wear the ten commandments around your neck, that is in the bible.

The Ten Commandments did not, do not, & cannot bring salvation - Christ Crucified did, does, can, & will.

The Cross is worthy of great honour, because it is His royal throne - He was “lifted up” on it. Far from being “disgusting”, it is life-giving, because He is.

If you knew what the roman catholic church is done, you would be horrified and distraught. its absolutely disgusting, wrong, vile and absolute sin.
They are currently facing trial over murdering millions of people over the years.

A lot of people on this site are converts; many of them thought what you are saying now.

catholics and christians, embrace each other and find truth. if the bible doesnt agree with you, your most likely wrong.

Read the bible

We do read it, thank you very much - some of us know it very well; & knew it well before we became Catholics. It was, as you no doubt know, a Catholic who drew up the first Biblical Concordance,in about 1230.

BTW, we don’t base our faith on any book, however sacred - we base it on a Person: on Jesus Christ, to Whom the Books witness. The Bible is a great gift, but it can become, & work as, a snare & a lie, because it is used by sinners - Jesus Christ is (more or less) beyond our ability to harm Him. He has power to save men even from the evils they commit by using the Bible. The Bible cannot save us from abusing it - if it could, the history of Christianity would be much less dark than it is.

The Catholic list & division of the Commndments is no different from the Lutheran list. If Lutherans are allowed to arrange the Commandments as they do, why attack us Catholics for having the very same arrangement ? Here it is:

[size=1]THE TEN COMMANDMENTS OF GOD[/size].

1. Thou shalt have no other gods before Me.
2. Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord, thy God, in vain [for the Lord will not hold him guiltless that taketh His name in vain].
3. Thou shalt sanctify the holy-day. [Remember the Sabbath-day to keep it holy.]
4. Thou shalt honor thy father and mother [that thou mayest live long upon the earth].
5. Thou shalt not kill.
6. Thou shalt not commit adultery.
7. Thou shalt not steal.
8. Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor.
9. Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor’s house.
10. Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor’s wife, nor his man-servant, nor his maidservant, nor his cattle [ox, nor his donkey], nor anything that is his.

From: iclnet.org/pub/resources/text/wittenberg/luther/catechism/web/cat-02.html

The Catholic, Lutheran, & Orthodox arrangement divides the 10 Commandments in one way; most Protestants, & Jews, follow the arrangement in Exodus 20.

People think that Rome has taken away the commandment against images, because they don’t realise that the division of the 10 Commandments in the sources - the Books of Exodus & Deuteronomy, and the texts of the ancient versions of these books - is a bit less straightforward than they think. Maybe they should ask themselves whether they think Martin Luther “took away” the commandment against images. If he is not to be vilified for doing the same as the CC, Catholics are entitled to wonder why. :cool:

remnantofgod.org/idols.htm valid points there.

take care and thanks for the reply

Im sorry if i came across the wrong way and yes i do need to keep on digging and i hope i havent upset anyone.

The important thing is that if we find a qoute in the bible and compare it. if jesus spoke something and paul spoke another, we should trust jesus. if god said one thing and peter said another, we should believe god.

Thanks for the reply, take care.

1. Catholics are the first and original Christians. From the time of Jesus until 1517ad. There was only the Catholic Church. The Protestant Reformation began in 1517.

2.The Bible did not write itself. God chose to inspire men to write what He wanted written down. The Church, the one Jesus built on St. Peter, with the help of the Holy Spirit, decided the cannon of the Bible and put the writtings into what we now call the Bible.

The Bible clearly teaches that the Church, not the Bible itself, is the pillar and foundation of truth.1 Tim 3:15

The Bible tells us that Jesus said to the Apostles to “preach” the Gospel not write the Gospel.Mark 16:15 that could be why only 3 Apostles wrote and not 12.

The Bible teaches that we need someone to guide us in reading Scripture.Acts 8:30-31 That we can not do it ourselves because we may get it wrong.2 Peter 1:20 And that it is hard for some to understand**.2 Peter 3:15-16**

HOLY MOLEY !!!

I see that you are a “Bible only” kind of guy, but you might want to take a look at the church fathers and see what they taught.
Your claims on the origins of the practice of Sunday worship are baseless and erroneous.
If you want to trace the origins of Christians worshiping on Sunday instead of Saturday, you had better look to the New Testament again, and then to the Didache , to St Ignatius, to the epistle of Barnabas, and to St Justin Martyr. The Didache was written about 70 - 100 AD , St. Ignatius wrote about 110 AD and was taught by the Apostle John, the epistle of Barnabas was written around 100 AD and St Justin Martyr wrote aroound 155 AD.
To say that “pope” Constantine started this practice around 321 AD is just plain ignorant of the facts of history.

**1 Cor. 16:2 **
On the first day of every week, each of you is to put something aside and store it up, as he may prosper, so that contributions need not be made when I come.

Col. 2:16-17
Therefore let no one pass judgment on you in questions of food and drink or with regard to a festival or a new moon or a sabbath.
These are only a shadow of what is to come; but the substance belongs to Christ.

Rev 1:10
I** was in the Spirit on the Lord’s day**, and I heard behind me a loud voice like a trumpet

(The whole book of Revelation is showing the devine liturgy being held in heaven)

From the Didache 70 - 120 AD:
But every Lord’s day gather yourselves together, and break bread, and give thanksgiving after having confessed your transgressions, that your sacrifice may be pure. But let no one who is at odds with his fellow come together with you, until they be reconciled, that your sacrifice may not be profaned. For this is that which was spoken by the Lord: “In every place and time offer to me a pure sacrifice; for I am a great King, says the Lord, and my name is wonderful among the nations.”

Epistle of Barnabas 15 100AD
Finally [God] says to them: “I cannot bear your new moons and Sabbaths.” You see what he means: It is not the present Sabbaths that are acceptable to me but the one that I have made: on that Sabbath day, which is the beginning of another world. This is why we spend the eighth day in celebration, the day on which Jesus both arose from the dead and, after appearing again, ascended into heaven.

St. Ignatius of Antioch 110 AD:
And after the observance of the Sabbath,** let every friend of Christ keep the Lord’s Day as a festival**, the Resurrection-day, the queen and chief of all the days [of the week]. Looking forward to this, the prophet declared, “To the end, for the eighth day” on which our life both sprang up again, and the victory over death was obtained in Christ. (Letter to the Magnesians 9)

St. Justin Martyr 155 AD**
And on the day called Sunday, all who live in cities or in the country gather together to one place, and the memoirs of the apostles or the writings of the prophets are read, as long as time permits; then, when the reader has ceased, the president verbally instructs, and exhorts to the imitation of these good things.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.