SPLIT: Ex-semenarians

I used to be a seminarian for over six years and lived in three different seminaries. I did not have a wonderful experience but candidly felt and still feel called to the priesthood. I blew the whistle and it got me kicked out. I still consider myself a devout Catholic and still promote vocations; however, there is still many issues within the American seminaries and rectories that the laity do not see. If anyone has a child who desires to enter the religious life, make sure he/she has a good mental health before entering because they will be entering the same world they are leaving. And there is still a very big gay culture, I studied at two of the named seminaries in Michael S. Rose's book Goodbye Good men and one of those seminaries is still corrupted as it was back in the 70s.

aaa

Go talk to a vocations director - maybe you would be happier in a religious order.

It seems odd you have been through 3 different seminaries. I have to ask if the issue is with you and not the environment you were studying in? Not everyone that feels called to the priesthood is meant to end up an ordained priest. But should there truly be issues within some of our seminaries, maybe you are being called to do something about it? I think the gay culture will reduce with the ban on gay orientated men being allowed to enter the seminaries, but if you have found that gay men are still creeping in, then I would imagine that would be an important thing to expose to the right people who can do something about it.

Remember, when one door shuts, another will be opened, but you might have to spend some time praying and contemplating where God is leading you. You might have to knock on a few doors until you find the door that God is opening up for you. Experiencing rejection has been the hardest part of my journey. But I find it easier now to concentrate on following God's will for me, because with Faith, I know I will end up doing what He wants me to do, and end up where He wants me to be. But I do have to constantly self-reflect, because sometimes there are personality traits we need to change, sometimes our thinking processes are a bit off, sometimes we need to experience various trials so that our fortitude is moulded so we can be more the warrior that God wants us to be.

I see rejection as a strength builder and Christ was rejected, and suffered trails. But God has a plan for you. It might not be what you want, or think it is to be, but He is slowly leading you and one day you will find out where and what it is, you are to do for God.

As the other poster mentioned, there are also religious orders. There are many doors that you can knock on and enquiry about as you seek.

Maybe give the seminary another go if possible, bide your time until you finish your studies, so that you can be in a position to do something about the culture that you feel need rectifying. It might even be in another country. We take on seminarians from other countries who complete their training so they can be a priest over here.

Why would it seem odd that one has been to three different seminaries?, I have spoken with religious orders and those doors are closed. So under the guidance of my spiritual director I will live as a lay, celibate man.

As I know of, there has been no official ban on men with same-sex inclinations, The issue is not having those inclinations but practicing the sexual behavior. By “gay” I meant the definition that the American society gives, that one has a right to practice their same-sex inclinations.

[quote="anonymousCath, post:6, topic:316882"]
As I know of, there has been no official ban on men with same-sex inclinations, The issue is not having those inclinations but practicing the sexual behavior. By "gay" I meant the definition that the American society gives, that one has a right to practice their same-sex inclinations.

[/quote]

In 2005 the Vatican put out a document, part of it states:-

cannot admit to the seminary or to holy orders those who practise homosexuality, present deep-seated homosexual tendencies or support the so-called "gay culture"

It's available on the Vatican website.

Are you saying that you have come across seminarians who practice homosexuality?

[RIGHT][/RIGHT]

[quote="anonymousCath, post:5, topic:316882"]
Why would it seem odd that one has been to three different seminaries?, I have spoken with religious orders and those doors are closed. So under the guidance of my spiritual director I will live as a lay, celibate man.

[/quote]

Because taken with your comment you did not have a very good experience, and then to say you were kicked out of the third seminary, implies to me that there is a little more going on here then this gay culture you mention. I am having a little difficulty believing you got kicked out just because you told on someone or something.

I live as a celibate and a good way to find oneself and mature. But that takes self reflection and being honest with oneself.

I definately think this needs to be cleaned up. There has got to be someone who is willing to do something about this. It absolutely disgusts me.

I have no experience of American seminaries and so no knowledge of whether or not a so-called gay culture exists in any of them.

That said, having had more than a bit of experience on the outside, I feel truly blessed to be in the seminary where I am now, not just because it is where I feel I am called to be, but also because of goodness and generosity the people I with. No seminary is perfect and community life is not without its challenges but what characterises any community is its people and those that I am with are truly a gift from God.

Kyria, Transferring to different seminaries is quite common. Think what you may about my dismissal, but I know what I saw and experienced.

Kyria,
When utilizing Church documents, one has to understand that not all of these documents are dogmatic. Also, it is never wise to only take a snip of a document to present an argument or answer. The actual sentence of the document is, "in the light of such teaching, this dicastery, in accord with the Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments, believes it necessary to state clearly that the Church, while profoundly respecting the persons in question,9 cannot admit to the seminary or to holy orders those who practice homosexuality, present deep-seated homosexual tendencies or who support the so-called ‘gay culture’." The document does not say people who have same-sex inclinations should not be admitted but those "who practice,, present deep-seated homosexual tendencies or who support the so-called 'gay culture." Not every homosexual has deep tendencies, some of them can control them through chastity. Again, the document says those who practice not those who are.

Kyria,
Seminarians are mostly transferred to a different seminary for academic reasons. For instance, some dioceses have their own seminary for its seminarians, but they do not have the academic requirements to study for a B.A. In this case, these seminarians usually study at a nearby college or university. Then, after receiving their basics, the seminarians could be transferred to a College Seminary to finish their studies. Afterwards they could be transferred to another seminary to finish their theological (M.A.) studies. This is why I was in three different seminaries. In regards to your question, yes, I have met some seminarians who practice their homosexuality and do not appreciate those who speak against such practice. Moreover, the Vatican document you quoted states "In the light of such teaching, this dicastery, in accord with the Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments, believes it necessary to state clearly that the Church, while profoundly respecting the persons in question,9 cannot admit to the seminary or to holy orders those who practice homosexuality, present deep-seated homosexual tendencies or who support the so-called ‘gay culture’." Presenting deep-seated homosexual tendencies is not the same as having same-sex inclinations or to be homosexual. A homosexual person could live a celibate and chaste life without presenting deep-seated tendencies, which means that they are unable to control their inclinations (mentally, sexually, psychologically, etc).

Of course, no seminary is perfect and they all have their challenges but some houses have worse issues than others.

Thank God that In the Pew has an environment where he can be sincere and spiritually discern his vocation in life.

[quote="anonymousCath, post:15, topic:316882"]
Thank God that In the Pew has an environment where he can be sincere and spiritually discern his vocation in life.

[/quote]

Given the (secular) environments I've experienced previously - all I can say is Amen to that!

[quote="anonymousCath, post:13, topic:316882"]
Kyria,
Moreover, the Vatican document you quoted states "In the light of such teaching, this dicastery, in accord with the Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments, believes it necessary to state clearly that the Church, while profoundly respecting the persons in question,9 cannot admit to the seminary or to holy orders those who practice homosexuality, present deep-seated homosexual tendencies or who support the so-called ‘gay culture’." Presenting deep-seated homosexual tendencies is not the same as having same-sex inclinations or to be homosexual. A homosexual person could live a celibate and chaste life without presenting deep-seated tendencies, which means that they are unable to control their inclinations (mentally, sexually, psychologically, etc).

[/quote]

Yes I know a homosexual can live a chaste life, but if the person regards themselves to be homosexual, regardless of whether they practice it or not, they are now barred from being being able to enter a seminary.

[quote="anonymousCath, post:1, topic:316882"]
I used to be a seminarian for over six years and lived in three different seminaries. I did not have a wonderful experience but candidly felt and still feel called to the priesthood. I blew the whistle and it got me kicked out. I still consider myself a devout Catholic and still promote vocations; however, there is still many issues within the American seminaries and rectories that the laity do not see. If anyone has a child who desires to enter the religious life, make sure he/she has a good mental health before entering because they will be entering the same world they are leaving. And there is still a very big gay culture, I studied at two of the named seminaries in Michael S. Rose's book Goodbye Good men and one of those seminaries is still corrupted as it was back in the 70s.

[/quote]

Welcome to the forum:)

I am sorry this happned to you :o

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.